IGNORED

My SD Card Folder Organization

Pioneer4x4

I organized my SD card with 2 folders in the root

Carts Owned

Wish List

and under each one, I am putting subfolders of the manufacturer. I did all of my carts (210 seperate .bin files) and it is a whopping 1.5 MB of data and 7MB of disk space!

I renamed EVERY .bin file to match the cart (or tape ;)) title as much as possible. I downloaded most from AtariAge.com except for the ones not found there.

Here is my Carts Owned\Starpath folder

Communist Mutants From Space.bin

Dragonstomper.bin

Escape from the Mindmaster.bin

Fireball.bin

Frogger, The Official.bin

Killer Satellites.bin

Party Mix - Bop a Buggy.bin

Party Mix - Down on the Line & Handcar.bin

Party Mix - Tug of War & Wizard's Keep.bin

Phasor Patrol.bin

Rabbit Transit.bin

Suicide Mission.bin

Survival Island.bin

Sword of Saros.bin

To rename and organize 212 .bins took me a couple hours, but it is extremely nice to open up a folder as if you were "Going into the Activision box" and seeing this

Barnstorming.bin

Beamrider.bin

Boxing.bin

Bridge.bin

Checkers.bin

Chopper Command.bin

Cosmic Commuter.bin

Decathlon.bin

Dolphin.bin

Dragster.bin

Enduro.bin

Fishing Derby.bin

Freeway.bin

Grand Prix.bin

H.E.R.O.bin

Ice Hockey.bin

Kaboom!.bin

Keystone Capers.bin

Laser Blast.bin

Mega Mania.bin

Pitfall II Lost Caverns.bin

Pitfall!.bin

Plaque Attack.bin

Pressure Cooker.bin

River Raid.bin

Robot Tank.bin

Seaquest.bin

Skiing.bin

Sky Jinks.bin

Space Shuttle.bin

Spider Fighter.bin

Stampede.bin

Starmaster.bin

Tennis.bin

Plus I feel keeping them seperate of what is owned/wishlist makes playing an owned cart more satisfying.

I will probably add another folder for "Homebrew/Prototypes"

I put these 3 in the Carts Owned, since they were included on the Stella Gets a New Brain CD which had permission to distribute them, so I consider them as "Owned" I have the other 10 Starpath Cassettes.

Atari\Polo.bin

Starpath\Survival Island.bin

Starpath\Sword of Saros.bin

Also, the folder directories come up in less than a second on the Harmony. I am extremely impressed!

I did mine similarly, without the distinction between owned and not owned. Also, I left on some additional info from the AtariMania roms collection, like year, alt names, programmer, etc, because if you hold down the fire button, you can view the entire filename to see all that extra info. Additionally, within each manufacturer's folder, I made a folder called "Paddle Games" to keep those separate. Same thing for Keyboard controller games and so on.

My Hacks are in a totally separate folder, as are my Homebrews. And within Homebrews, I have a FINAL folder and a WIP folder to keep those separate.

Worked for me.

I did mine similarly, without the distinction between owned and not owned. Also, I left on some additional info from the AtariMania roms collection, like year, alt names, programmer, etc, because if you hold down the fire button, you can view the entire filename to see all that extra info. Additionally, within each manufacturer's folder, I made a folder called "Paddle Games" to keep those separate. Same thing for Keyboard controller games and so on.

My Hacks are in a totally separate folder, as are my Homebrews. And within Homebrews, I have a FINAL folder and a WIP folder to keep those separate.

Worked for me.

I saw some of the Atari brand roms from AtariAge had the (1978) in the name, I removed them, since I didn't have that for all.

I like the idea of grouping by controller also, nice idea! I think I will do that.

I have just over 200 unique titles, hard to tell since some are unique, but dupes (Atari renames, and Sears crossovers)! Plus Party Mix is 3 seperate games.

Sounds like you're starting from roms from different sources. If you don't have the rom pack from atarimania.com, I think it's the best place to start for the official releases, and has all the extra info in the filename that you can delete or keep as you like. Plus, you can easily filter and delete all the PAL titles, and keep only original releases that have a special character at the end (I think it was [!]). I wouldn't think of starting from any other set. There was the hacks/homebrews collection set available for awhile, but that's been basically recalled I believe, due to having unauthorized stuff in it, but I started from that for my hacks/homebrews also.

Sounds like you're starting from roms from different sources. If you don't have the rom pack from atarimania.com, I think it's the best place to start for the official releases, and has all the extra info in the filename that you can delete or keep as you like. Plus, you can easily filter and delete all the PAL titles, and keep only original releases that have a special character at the end (I think it was [!]). I wouldn't think of starting from any other set. There was the hacks/homebrews collection set available for awhile, but that's been basically recalled I believe, due to having unauthorized stuff in it, but I started from that for my hacks/homebrews also.

I'll take a look for that set. I was only using AtariAge as a source.

I always wonder why the alphabet isn't good enough for some people :?

Haha, just kidding, that's a great organization method. I never thought of that! I do just alphabetize mine.

That is what I used to do when I played with emulation, it worked OK, but with HUNDREDS of names, all abbreviated to fit 8.3, it was too aggrevating.

• 2 weeks later...

I always wonder why the alphabet isn't good enough for some people :?

Haha, just kidding, that's a great organization method. I never thought of that! I do just alphabetize mine.

That is what I used to do when I played with emulation, it worked OK, but with HUNDREDS of names, all abbreviated to fit 8.3, it was too aggrevating.

It would be awfully nice if someone would host an archive that's been pre-sorted and renamed to minimize duplication of effort.

It would be awfully nice if someone would host an archive that's been pre-sorted and renamed to minimize duplication of effort.

It wasn't too bad since they all have the company name somewhere in the filename. So you can search your files by "(imagic)" and move them out, then search for (paddles) and move them out...

Plus for some reason, I enjoyed it!

Maybe I'll take the new collection and sort it my way, then post it.

Cool job organizing all the games! :) I like the idea of having an owned and not owned list, as well as by company that's cool too. I have like over two hundred 2600 carts, with a good amount of dupes tho. I haven't really loaded up on SD any games that I own on cart. Very cool to organize games in any way though. Rom Hunter had his "Hacks & Homebrews" collection available through Atarimania.com not on Atariage was some problems so he doesn't do any new stuff, homebrewed or hacked anymore I don't think.

Edited by ovalbugmann

With the minimal space that the ROMs take, you could have several copies of each game, organized in several different ways. For instance, alphabetical, manufacturer, controller, orig/home/hacks, etc.

I'm assuming there would be enough space and number of files available on an SD card to do this... .

/doesn't have a Harmony cartridge... yet.

5-11under

edit: clarification

Edited by 5-11under

Basically that is exactly what I did.

I setup the entire folder structure first by controller, thanks to Mirage's tip!

Unzip the rom's files to a "wish list" folder.

Search for (pal), hit the delete key. (I had to put that in! :cool: )

Then make the different controller folders first, make a subfolder for each company you care to split out, and a "others" folder in one of them, then copy all of those to the other controller folders.

then search for the word (paddle) in the rom folder, and move them all to the root of paddle. Go to paddle, and search for atari, move all of them to subfolder...

repeat for other controllers, the joystick ones were not labelled I think, so those are left.

Once complete copy that entire "owned" folder structure with sorted bins to "Owned"

Then go to each subfolder and delete the ones you don't have.

Then I have another folder of Homebrews-Hacks that I will sort by controller.

I'm using a 128meg SD card, and it only takes up 10mb total for all of them.

It wasn't too bad since they all have the company name somewhere in the filename. So you can search your files by "(imagic)" and move them out, then search for (paddles) and move them out...

On the Mac, I used Automator to separate everything out into folders, by TV Type (PAL, NTSC), then manufacturers, prototypes, and hacks and homebrews. Then I picked out the games I own, and set up a similar set of folders for those. I actually did this for running Stella, but it turned out to be really handy for the Harmony cart, too.

The hacks and homebrews folder looks like this:

bankswitch conversions

Supercharger conversions

demos

hacks

homebrews

homebrews (WIPs)

NTSC conversions

PAL conversions

palette select hacks

Then within the hacks folders, games are separated out by the original game that was hacked. That took a long time.

I just organized mine by Manufacturer... And "unknown" and "homebrew" - I started with AtariMania.... If someone would package up all the homebrews - that'd be nice. :) If nobody does, it might be me.

I used a regex-based file renamer to make "quick" work of alot of the renames required... Quick really is just "less long". Probably took me about 2 hours to whittle the list down, de-dupe, etc... I still haven't actually used it yet. This weekend!

Edited by unhuman