IGNORED

Dragon Attack (2600)

e1will

Hello everyone!

A while back on an Indenture thread I had posted a possible 2600 asm kernel that could be used to create asymmetrical playfields used by Indenture.

I've been playing around with it for a while, and have actually got it to the point where it supports not only asymmetrical playfields, but also multiple-color playfields and 2-scanline-resolution support for missile0 and missile1. What this means is that I can create a new version of Adventure that adds fire-breathing dragons, castle moats that need to be crossed with a bridge, and tons of other neat things.

Here are some screenshots and an NTSC binary of what I have so far. The binary is just a static frame, there's no player or dragon movement coded yet. I just wanted to show that this is actually doable on the 2600, and not just a mockup.

What I eventually plan to do is incorporate:

- all 31 of the original rooms from Adventure

- 32 of my favorite rooms from Indenture, including the yellow maze, orange "ATARI" maze, and the green and silver castles.

- 34 original rooms

I'll also be including the shield, flashlight (possibly reimagined as a torch), blue balloon, and a handful of rooms from my Duck Attack! homebrew.

Note that this isn't a hack of Adventure (although I've got nothing against Adventure hacks, obviously); it's a complete rewrite from scratch (although I'll probably pull in some routines from Duck Attack! when appropriate - e.g. the fire-breathing logic.) Nonetheless, the basic gameplay should feel very familiar once it's done.

I'll post updates here as it progresses.

--Will

DRAGON.BIN

post-23222-12650047096_thumb.png

post-23222-126500472043_thumb.png

post-23222-126500472804_thumb.png

• Like 2

Looks great so far!

Cant wait to see the finished hack!

It's not a hack...

Note that this isn't a hack of Adventure (although I've got nothing against Adventure hacks, obviously); it's a complete rewrite from scratch (although I'll probably pull in some routines from Duck Attack! when appropriate - e.g. the fire-breathing logic.)

After I had recreated a few dozen screens from Indenture, I figured what the heck, why not include them all?

Here's a binary (NTSC for now) with all 300+ Indenture screens. You can't get to the rooms inside the castles yet, since the gates aren't in place, but all the outside rooms are accessible. Hold down the fire button to disable collision detection (there are some areas that require the bridge, but I don't have the bridge coded yet.)

Enjoy!

--Will

post-23222-126587348516_thumb.png post-23222-126587347687_thumb.png

DRAGON.BIN

That would bring in one of the problems with Indenture - it's so large that there is a lot of empty space which can be somewhat boring.

What about setting it up like the original game's levels where going from level 1 to level 2 adds more rooms but maybe set level one at 60 to 90 rooms then go up from there to the full 300+?

The whistle from Indenture always seemed a little useless to me since you could only carry one item. But then if the whistle stunned th bat by simply being on the same screen that seems a little too powerful. How about a bow/sling to shoot the bat and he gets reincarnated if you reset? Or maybe a cage so you actually have to touch the bat?

Oh, that PC version I listed above has a shield and a candle.

Edited by yell0w_lantern

That would bring in one of the problems with Indenture - it's so large that there is a lot of empty space which can be somewhat boring.

What about setting it up like the original game's levels where going from level 1 to level 2 adds more rooms but maybe set level one at 60 to 90 rooms then go up from there to the full 300+?

The whistle from Indenture always seemed a little useless to me since you could only carry one item. But then if the whistle stunned th bat by simply being on the same screen that seems a little too powerful. How about a bow/sling to shoot the bat and he gets reincarnated if you reset? Or maybe a cage so you actually have to touch the bat?

Oh, that PC version I listed above has a shield and a candle.

Good points. Here are some of the things I'm going to add to it to mix it up a little:

- the ability to carry two objects at once. This eliminates the whole juggling-the-bridge-and-dot-across-300-rooms thing.

- hot-air balloon that lets you coast above walls.

- more dragons to fill all that empty space.

These will all be "game variations" you can turn on or off if you want the "authentic" experience or the "new and improved" one.

I haven't decided what to do about the whistle yet. I agree, in its current incarnation it's not that useful.

--Will

Edited by e1will

Carrying 2 objects would actually make the whistle useful but part of the strategy of the game was how to maneuver and win the game while only being able to carry one object at a time.

This change may have quite an unexpected impact. However, have you considered making one/2 object carrying a difficulty switch - that might be a nice complement to the cowardly dragon option of the original.

Carrying 2 objects would actually make the whistle useful but part of the strategy of the game was how to maneuver and win the game while only being able to carry one object at a time.

This change may have quite an unexpected impact. However, have you considered making one/2 object carrying a difficulty switch - that might be a nice complement to the cowardly dragon option of the original.

There will definitely be an option to play using the original Indenture setup (i.e. only one object carried, no extra items like the shield or balloon). Much like what Indenture tried to do with Adventure, there will be the "play the version you remember" game variations alongside the new & expanded variations.

I should clarify that at this point, I'm actually working on three separate games, which will all use the same kernel and will be bundled into one 32k binary:

1) Bedraggled - an entirely new game with new mazes and objects. The goal is to help a lost dragon find his home. He won't try to eat you, but he will run from you, so you'll need to strategically place items to lure him back to his castle. More details on this to follow.

2) Dragon Attack - another new game, heavily inspired by Adventure: there are ten castles, and ten crowns: each of them needs to be returned to the proper castle to win the game. There are ten fire-breathing dragons and moats in front of each castle to slow you down, but extra items like the shield, balloon and torch to help you.

Unlike Adventure, you won't be able to reuse the sword: once it's used to slay a dragon, it's stuck in there, and you have to go find another one if you want to slay another dragon. You will be able to carry two objects at once. There will be familiar objects like the bridge(s) and key(s), but the secret dot(s) and original easter egg will not be present or required to get into the expanded areas. Some of the mazes will be borrowed from Indenture, some taken from Bedraggled, and a couple from other sources. There will be about 100 rooms total.

3) a port of levels 4 & 5 of Indenture, with extra game variations that include some of the new mazes and objects from Bedraggled/Dragon Attack. All 332 rooms from levels 4 & 5 will be included. I've got separate kernels written and working for symmetrical and asymmetrical mazes, and am in the process of testing a 3rd kernel to support the couple of "weird" rooms in Indenture that require higher vertical resolution.

--Will

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

just caught up on all this info!!!

FRAKEN AWESOME!!!!

over 300 rooms!

can't wait to play this one!!

not sure if this is possible...

maybe when a dragon is fought maybe they could be wounded or stunned instead of just killed.

so they would heal or get their senses back and come after you again after a short period of time.

maybe after the third time you fight them they would die.

of course a reset would just bring them back anyhow.

• 3 months later...

Indenture for the Atari 2600 is the most awesome full circle of gaming possible!! Adventure 2600 -> Indenture DOS -> Indenture+ for 2600. It's like finding out Triple Cheeseburgers and Mountain Dew cures cancer! EPIC WIN!

NOT JUST an e1 CAN: e1WILL!!!!!!!!!

Edited by theloon

So, Will...

Now that Duck Attack is almost released, that means this little puppy is going to get some coding attention, right? :D

Yep! This is definitely going forward. I spoke with Craig Pell and he was kind enough to give the thumbs up on the Indenture part of the project, so I'll be working on this alongside a few of my other projects.

Whether Indenture + Dragon Attack + Bedraggled gets finished before Facebook Hero I don't know, but I've been working on both lately. I'll definitely post some more bins and screenshots as I get further along.

--Will

• 1 month later...