IGNORED

Intellivision Purchases and Deals

I just bought a lot from ebay that had an INTV2 and a Tandyvision with 4 games for $12. 3 of the games I didn't have and I'm hoping the Tandyvision works so I'll have a spare.

Update on this lot: The 4 games worked with a little cleaning. The Tandyvision=DOA, damn. would've made a good spare. INTV2=works but controls need help-left has bad keyboard, right works but not easily useable.

I just snagged this Intv System III bundle from eBay:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2904014828621?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&camp

It's the most expensive Intellivision lot that I've ever bought, but some of the highlights in that bundle are: the Intv System III itself (all I have now is an Intellivision II), the ECS computer module and keyboard, and a few fairly rare games (loose copies of Thunder Castle and Diner that I will probably resell, loose Dig Dug and Centipede cartridges, and boxed copies of Pac-Man, Popeye, and Frogger, among many others). Also in that lot is a boxed copy of World Series Major League Baseball for the ECS, and I'd love to get some idea of what that's worth; I gather that it's one of the rarer games in the Intellivision library.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2904014828621?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=290401482862&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

It's the most expensive Intellivision lot that I've ever bought, but some of the highlights in that bundle are: the Intv System III itself (all I have now is an Intellivision II), the ECS computer module and keyboard, and a few fairly rare games (loose copies of Thunder Castle and Diner that I will probably resell, loose Dig Dug and Centipede cartridges, and boxed copies of Pac-Man, Popeye, and Frogger, among many others). Also in that lot is a boxed copy of World Series Major League Baseball for the ECS, and I'd love to get some idea of what that's worth; I gather that it's one of the rarer games in the Intellivision library.

I seen that auction today. But it was way out of my price range. But i think you got your money's worth and then some. I don't know exactly but i think the ECS alone is worth the price you paid.

If you go by the rarity guides you did really well.

http://www.rarityguide.com/intellivision_view.php

http://www.digitpress.com/DP/cmf/listing.cmf?system=3691#

Also in that lot is a boxed copy of World Series Major League Baseball for the ECS, and I'd love to get some idea of what that's worth; I gather that it's one of the rarer games in the Intellivision library.

If you go by the rarity guides you did really well.

http://www.rarityguide.com/intellivision_view.php

http://www.digitpress.com/DP/cmf/listing.cmf?system=3691#

The Rarityguide.com prices tend to be way out of control, though they're a good guide to the relative value of things (I like them a lot for Genesis stuff). DP has more detail on variants, but again, they trend high.

I prefer the guide at Tomorrow's Heroes, which usually seems more in line with what people actually pay, except for the rarest stuff where it's a bit low. I think WSMLB is probably worth somewhere between $30-60, depending on condition.

Either way, great score! The lot as a whole is comfortably worth twice what you paid for it, I think.

Edited by thegoldenband

Never had an INTV before. I just jumped in with this lot:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2903916226761?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=290391622676&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Short version: 2 INTV2 decks, 38 games for $36. No boxes, lots of overlays.

TRON DEADLY DISCS

TRON MAZE-A-TRON

DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS

ADVANCED DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS(TREASURE OF TARMIN)

SPACE BATTLE

SPACE ARMADA

SPACE HAWK

STAR STRIKE

ARMOR BATTLE

ASTROMASH

SEA BATTLE

MISSION X

VECTRON

NIGHT STALKER

MASTERS OF UNIVERSE-POWER OF HE-MAN

ATLANTIS

DEMON ATTACK

BUMP N JUMP

TRIPLE ACTION

SWORDS AND SERPENTS

SHARK SHARK

LOCK IN CHASE

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST

TROPICAL TROUBLE

POKER AND BLACK JACK

BURGERTIME

PITFALL

DRACULA

FROGGER

BOWLING 1

FOOTBALL

GOLF

NBA BASKETBALL

MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL

BOXING

HOCKEY

SKIING

NFL FOOTBALL

Bought it for the AD&D games. Liking the system so far. Definitely a different flavor than the VCS.

Never had an INTV before. I just jumped in with this lot:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2903916226761?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=290391622676&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Short version: 2 INTV2 decks, 38 games for $36. No boxes, lots of overlays.

TRON DEADLY DISCS

TRON MAZE-A-TRON

DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS

ADVANCED DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS(TREASURE OF TARMIN)

SPACE BATTLE

SPACE ARMADA

SPACE HAWK

STAR STRIKE

ARMOR BATTLE

ASTROMASH

SEA BATTLE

MISSION X

VECTRON

NIGHT STALKER

MASTERS OF UNIVERSE-POWER OF HE-MAN

ATLANTIS

DEMON ATTACK

BUMP N JUMP

TRIPLE ACTION

SWORDS AND SERPENTS

SHARK SHARK

LOCK IN CHASE

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST

TROPICAL TROUBLE

POKER AND BLACK JACK

BURGERTIME

PITFALL

DRACULA

FROGGER

BOWLING 1

FOOTBALL

GOLF

NBA BASKETBALL

MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL

BOXING

HOCKEY

SKIING

NFL FOOTBALL

Bought it for the AD&D games. Liking the system so far. Definitely a different flavor than the VCS.

You got most of the best games for the system with that lot. There's still more good games for it but that right there will give you a good introduction to the system.

Yup, definitely a good batch. It's a lot like the set I started out with -- mine also came with lots of overlays and manuals, but no boxes. You've got most of the best commons, and a few nice uncommon-to-rare carts. If you play 2-player games a lot (especially if you play with casual gamers), you'll want to pick up Frog Bog and Utopia. If you have Frogs and Flies for the Atari 2600, you've basically experienced what Frog Bog has to offer, but Utopia is unlike anything available on the Atari. When I think of the quintessential Inty games, AD&D: Cloudy Mountain and Utopia are the first two that come to mind.

Loco-Motion is also worth snagging, and if you pick up an Intellivoice, B-17 Bomber is widely available and good fun. After that you start getting into the pricy INTV titles, but a loose Tower of Doom won't set you back too much, and it's a must-have.

Edited by thegoldenband

• 2 weeks later...

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2904014828621?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&camp

Well, that Intellivision lot I won earlier this month turned out to be a total raw deal.

It seems that this lot had gotten soaked a long time ago. It isn't readily apparent from looking at the auction photos, and of course none of this was mentioned in the description, but the game boxes were all stuck together and could not be peeled apart without destroying them. The manuals and catalogs inside were solid slabs of paper, completely inseparable. It's a good thing the overlays are made of plastic, or else I would have lost them, too.

boxes_small.jpg

About half of the game cartridges I've tested have worked, and the Thunder Castle cartridge pictured in the lot was not even included. Fortunately, most of the rarer games escaped damage, but the one game that I wanted the most, World Series Major League Baseball, was badly corroded. When I looked it over and decided that the cartridge board was too badly damaged, I figured I could just open up the cartridge and move the chips to a new board. Well ...

cartridge_small.jpg

The hardware wasn't in any better condition. The ECS module had evident water damage inside, and if it wasn't such a rarity I would simply scrap it. I'm glad I decided to open it before plugging it in:

ecstopsmall.jpgecsbottomsmall.jpg

The console itself didn't have any evident water damage, but it isn't operational; I'm getting nothing but scrolling diagonal white lines, although the screen does flicker when I press the RESET button. I'm reading through Mattel's service manuals for the Intellivision and will try to troubleshoot the console myself. As for the ECS, I don't know if cleaning the board and replacing some of the components will be enough to restore it; I'll probably start a new thread about that when the time comes to get some repair advice.

In the meantime, I'm trying to get at least a partial refund on this lot. I asked the seller for 50%, but if he doesn't follow through this week, I'm going to go to eBay for a full refund.

A few years back the Game X change in Midwest City, OK, took in a whole slew of CIB Intellivision games. They sat in the Atari rack for months priced at $10 each, then $5. People looked at them, scattered the overlays, etc. One day after discussing the Intellivoice on here and learning the rarity of some of the games they had, I visited Game X Change and began sorting the mess out. I matched up overlay sets to their games and got them looking halfway presentable. The fellow at the counter offered them to me for $2 each. I had a very few loose games and a few boxed games at the time, so I told him I'd be back the next day with a list.

He dropped the price and sold me all but about three or four of them for a total of $20. Some of the games were R5 and R6. I got three Intellivoice games and at least 20 CIB "normal" games.

About a year prior to that I got about 10 boxed games at a thrift store for 75 cents each. The rarest one was Frogger.

Recently I was offered an Inty 1 for $50. I don't think I have room for it, so I passed.

Also recently I picked up a bag of 2600 games for $14, mainly because I saw that Nova Blast was in there. I kept Nova Blast and a few of the 2600 games, then re sold the rest for more than what I initially paid!

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2904014828621?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=290401482862&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Well, that Intellivision lot I won earlier this month turned out to be a total raw deal.

It seems that this lot had gotten soaked a long time ago. It isn't readily apparent from looking at the auction photos, and of course none of this was mentioned in the description, but the game boxes were all stuck together and could not be peeled apart without destroying them. The manuals and catalogs inside were solid slabs of paper, completely inseparable. It's a good thing the overlays are made of plastic, or else I would have lost them, too.

post-3819-126696367997_thumb.jpg

About half of the game cartridges I've tested have worked, and the Thunder Castle cartridge pictured in the lot was not even included. Fortunately, most of the rarer games escaped damage, but the one game that I wanted the most, World Series Major League Baseball, was badly corroded. When I looked it over and decided that the cartridge board was too badly damaged, I figured I could just open up the cartridge and move the chips to a new board. Well ...

post-3819-126696377691_thumb.jpg

The hardware wasn't in any better condition. The ECS module had evident water damage inside, and if it wasn't such a rarity I would simply scrap it. I'm glad I decided to open it before plugging it in:

post-3819-126696381258_thumb.jpgpost-3819-126696384158_thumb.jpg

The console itself didn't have any evident water damage, but it isn't operational; I'm getting nothing but scrolling diagonal white lines, although the screen does flicker when I press the RESET button. I'm reading through Mattel's service manuals for the Intellivision and will try to troubleshoot the console myself. As for the ECS, I don't know if cleaning the board and replacing some of the components will be enough to restore it; I'll probably start a new thread about that when the time comes to get some repair advice.

In the meantime, I'm trying to get at least a partial refund on this lot. I asked the seller for 50%, but if he doesn't follow through this week, I'm going to go to eBay for a full refund.

Man, that's terrible. Figures he manages to shoot all the pics at such an angle that you can't see what's wrong with all those games. I can't imagine he actually tested that thing, or else he did but figured he could probably just ebay it to some unsuspecting gamer. Hope you get your refund.

Holy crap, jaybird3rd! That really sucks! I don't think I would have even asked for a 50% return. That guy was out to rip someone off and should have to return 100% AND eat the shipping and eBay fees - what a jerk!

Jay your toooo kind.

I would try and get way more than $50...You got screwed.

I cannot believe he did not mention in the auction that the boxes were stuck together either.

Man that all really suck.

I feel for ya but dont be nice to that ass.icon_evil.gif

post-3819-126696367997_thumb.jpg

post-3819-126696377691_thumb.jpg

post-3819-126696381258_thumb.jpgpost-3819-126696384158_thumb.jpg

dude,if i was you i would get a full refund no matter what.send that crap back.there is no excuse for this!

dude,if i was you i would get a full refund no matter what.send that crap back.there is no excuse for this!

I understand what you and the others are saying, but here are the factors that motivated me to "settle" for a 50% refund. First, I did manage to get a few rare or semi-rare games from that lot (Dig Dug, an extra Diner, Atarisoft Centipede, etc), so it wasn't a total loss for me. Second (and perhaps more important), now that I have these neglected but semi-rare pieces of hardware in my possession, I somehow can't help but think that I can save them. I don't have a lot of money, but getting that money back wouldn't be worth it to me if it would mean knowing that, if I send the lot back, the guy is either going to throw it away, or he'll just resell it to someone else who doesn't care about it as much, and that person will throw it away.

As I understand it, sending the lot back would be one of eBay's requirements if I went to them for a full refund, which created a dilemma: I don't want to send it back to be thrown out, but I don't feel that it's fair for me to be stuck paying full price given how much work it will be to repair the items (if they can be repaired), especially since the seller was dishonest about their condition. This is why I wrote the seller for a 50% refund first. I guess I'll have to decide what to do if he doesn't follow through (which I'm almost certain that he won't).

Second (and perhaps more important), now that I have these neglected but semi-rare pieces of hardware in my possession, I somehow can't help but think that I can save them. I don't have a lot of money, but getting that money back wouldn't be worth it to me if it would mean knowing that, if I send the lot back, the guy is either going to throw it away, or he'll just resell it to someone else who doesn't care about it as much, and that person will throw it away.

I've been in a very similar position, though on a much smaller scale. I bought a loose Sewer Sam cart for $1.00 BIN from a seller on Ebay. Shipping was $4.00, but I still thought it was a pretty good deal. Unfortunately, he sent it in a thin homemade paper envelope with no padding whatsoever, so when it arrived it looked like this:

post-6067-126706612979_thumb.jpgpost-6067-126706614616_thumb.jpg

When I contacted the seller, he wasn't exactly apologetic, complaining that "Ebay's rules today make the seller responsible for everything that can go wrong. So it's all my fault." It took all my willpower not to ask who the hell else could be at fault!

I could have asked for a full refund, but like you, I figured that it would just go in the trash can, and the game was still perfectly playable. Plus I'd have to send the cart back, which would be a hassle. Ultimately, I offered to accept a $3.00 refund, leaving $2.00 to cover his actual shipping costs, and he agreed.

It's just such a shame -- why not take the necessary measures to protect a rare (or rare-ish) cart, let alone one with such an unusual and hard-to-replace shell? By cutting corners, instead of making five bucks, he ended up with nothing.

Second (and perhaps more important), now that I have these neglected but semi-rare pieces of hardware in my possession, I somehow can't help but think that I can save them. I don't have a lot of money, but getting that money back wouldn't be worth it to me if it would mean knowing that, if I send the lot back, the guy is either going to throw it away, or he'll just resell it to someone else who doesn't care about it as much, and that person will throw it away.

I've been in a very similar position, though on a much smaller scale. I bought a loose Sewer Sam cart for $1.00 BIN from a seller on Ebay. Shipping was $4.00, but I still thought it was a pretty good deal. Unfortunately, he sent it in a thin homemade paper envelope with no padding whatsoever, so when it arrived it looked like this:

P1000134.jpgP1000135.jpg

When I contacted the seller, he wasn't exactly apologetic, complaining that "Ebay's rules today make the seller responsible for everything that can go wrong. So it's all my fault." It took all my willpower not to ask who the hell else could be at fault!

Wow, how could someone be so indignant? What the hell did he expect was going to happen by basically wrapping it in a piece of paper? Do people not understand the abuse that packages are subjected to? Evedn if a package isn't "abused", it still might find itself under hundreds of pounds of other packages, packages which certainly won't be placed gingerly on top of it. The mind boggles.

Part of it is he's probably pissed that he only got $1.00 for the cart!

I recently received a package from an eBay seller that was poorly packaged in a manilla envelope. The only thing that should be sent in manilla envelope is a document! I guess it's basically the cheapest packaging you can get, short of just slapping the shipping label directly on the item!! It would seriously not amaze me to see someone do this with a boxed game.

It's just such a shame -- why not take the necessary measures to protect a rare (or rare-ish) cart, let alone one with such an unusual and hard-to-replace shell? By cutting corners, instead of making five bucks, he ended up with nothing.

Sellers are cheap and would rather take the chance that the item will arrive safely so they can save a few bucks than properly package the items they are selling and ensure they'll arrive safely. It sucks!

..Al

I guess it's basically the cheapest packaging you can get, short of just slapping the shipping label directly on the item!! It would seriously not amaze me to see someone do this with a boxed game.

..Al

I've had a seller slap stamps directly onto a NOS sealed Atari 2600 console box that he sold as a "collector's item" and send it to me ;)

I've had a seller slap stamps directly onto a NOS sealed Atari 2600 console box that he sold as a "collector's item" and send it to me ;)

Wow, I had a 800xl CIB wrapped in brown paper and shipped. I had to be very clear with people if I am paying for the box, they would have to protect it. It is not a shipping box.

The 800xl inside was mint and felt like the plastic was brand new. I do not know what the box would have been like had it not been used as a shipping container. No big loss since one flap of the box had been torn off.

Edited by Almost Rice

Won a pair of joystick add-ons the other day for $7.29 total. Good deal, imo, but the seller's in Venezuala (or Panama apparently, wtf?) and it'll take about a month to arrive. :(

I've seen different kinds of these before (only in pictures, never in person) but i've never actually tried one. Even if they don't work as good as i hope, i'm only out 7 bucks and at least i'll have a new-to-me inty toy to play with. :)