IGNORED

Intellivision Purchases and Deals

I'll have to see about making some trades with y'all. Variants are interesting but don't do much for me - I'd rather work on completing a basic set first :)

I'd recommend sticking with the gatefold Mattel versions for the various networks. They are cheap, common, and all look nice when displayed together. I can't stand the mismatched box heights of a heterogeneous collection :)

• Like 3

I'll have to see about making some trades with y'all. Variants are interesting but don't do much for me - I'd rather work on completing a basic set first :)

I'm definitely interested in that INTV Sea Battle... With that purchase you have almost 1/2 of the 125 (assuming no duplicates). I have copies of all the common gatefolds so let me know via pm what you're looking for and hopefully we can work out a trade.

I'm definitely interested in that INTV Sea Battle... With that purchase you have almost 1/2 of the 125 (assuming no duplicates). I have copies of all the common gatefolds so let me know via pm what you're looking for and hopefully we can work out a trade.

I'll try to remember this. Gotta get home first. I'm at 81/125 overall and I know I have a bunch of boxes there, so at this point I'm venturing into the less common stuff. Although I do need a bunch of not-so-rares, like He-Man and Koolaid Man - and supposedly common stuff like Mouse Trap and Happy Trails that I've just never seen in the wild.

I'm mostly aiming at 120 or so loose first, then I'll probably spend the rest of my life fluking into boxed copies of the more rare stuff. I just don't have it in me to spend $50+ on a game cart at this point. The collector's market is rather insane given the quantities produced and the small number of fanatics out there. Fortunately pre-crash stuff is NOTHING like the current insanity that is NES. I do wonder exactly how many copies of Spiker were produced, given its crazy value. Strikes me that it should be in the low 100s to justify $1000+, but maybe I underestimate people's disposable incomes these days. :D

What the hell, while we're on this topic: here's the other INTV corp variants that came in this collection (at least I think all of these had Mattel releases originally). Any of these particularly rare/desirable?

Lock n Chase - Night Stalker - Pinball - Royal Dealer - Sea Battle - Tron Deadly Discs - Utopia

I'm at least the 3rd person to own this collection; I suspect whoever put this together must have been something of a collector to have variants like this and in such great shape. I wouldn't call any of it mint, but it's all remarkably glossy and flat.

I'll try to remember this. Gotta get home first. I'm at 81/125 overall and I know I have a bunch of boxes there, so at this point I'm venturing into the less common stuff. Although I do need a bunch of not-so-rares, like He-Man and Koolaid Man - and supposedly common stuff like Mouse Trap and Happy Trails that I've just never seen in the wild.

I'm mostly aiming at 120 or so loose first, then I'll probably spend the rest of my life fluking into boxed copies of the more rare stuff. I just don't have it in me to spend $50+ on a game cart at this point. The collector's market is rather insane given the quantities produced and the small number of fanatics out there. Fortunately pre-crash stuff is NOTHING like the current insanity that is NES. I do wonder exactly how many copies of Spiker were produced, given its crazy value. Strikes me that it should be in the low 100s to justify $1000+, but maybe I underestimate people's disposable incomes these days. :D

I have the following for sale if you want them:

$10 - cart & manual - Masters of the Universe: The Power of He-Man

$25 - cart, manual, 2 overlays, box - Kool-Aid Man

$30 - Sealed - Mouse Trap NOS

$6 - cart - Happy Trails or $8 - cart & 2 overlays or $35 NOS

$6 shipping in continental US

Troy

Spiker and Stadium Mud Buggies were the last two releases and I believe they were mail order only. I've heard around 5000 (+/- a few thousand) copies for Spiker, but that was almost 30 years ago. Who knows how many are still around in collectors hands. I'm not sure why Spiker is so much pricier than Stadium Mud Buggies. I think they used to be comparable until Spiker started climbing in price to its current $1000-1800 range. SMB is still hovering around $250-500.

Spiker and Stadium Mud Buggies were the last two releases and I believe they were mail order only. I've heard around 5000 (+/- a few thousand) copies for Spiker, but that was almost 30 years ago.

5000ish sounds about right. The BSR page discusses runs in the 10-20,000 range for the later INTV releases, and I can't see them having bothered with just a few hundred carts for a game. It's not like the modern homebrew market where you're only serving a dedicated core audience. Now, it's possible Spiker just sold miserably and most of the carts were destroyed, but... I dunno. Something that's only 1/5 or heck even 1/10 as rare doesn't seem to me to demand such a premium, given that most of the rest of the lineup can be found for $100-150. I also suspect that someone, somewhere, will discover a hoard of these in a warehouse somewhere (hey, it still happens even 30 years later). Imagine 1000 Spikers suddenly released onto the market. All MIB. Prices would crash.

There always seems to be a bit of speculator mindset that comes with the rarest-for-a-given-console.

I'll have a bunch of sealed international variants up soon for sale or trade. May have a deal working. I'm looking for Sealed Tron Solar Sailer, Sealed Worm Whomper, Sealed Sewer Sam, Sealed Blockade Runner, Sealed Dracula, Truckin' and a sealed Demon Attack (With the Robot Demons not the Winged things on the front of box and a Sealed Popeye. I have sealed French, Italian, German and French Canadian Games, A Sealed Gatefold Burgertime and a bunch more. My goal since we hit 125 was to get as many sealed as we can…and within that the oldest release possible. Doing pretty well with about 100 sealed now of the 125. I don't expect to ever have sealed Congo Bongo or Spiker. :-) It is a sick path, I have a CIB French Canadian Intellivision so now of course I want at least one of every one of those too. LOL It really never ends.

• Like 1

Spiker and Stadium Mud Buggies were the last two releases and I believe they were mail order only. I've heard around 5000 (+/- a few thousand) copies for Spiker, but that was almost 30 years ago. Who knows how many are still around in collectors hands. I'm not sure why Spiker is so much pricier than Stadium Mud Buggies. I think they used to be comparable until Spiker started climbing in price to its current $1000-1800 range. SMB is still hovering around $250-500.

I am curious about that too.

Mud Buggies was the last game I found to Complete my collection not Spiker!

This was in 2004

At the time I did not consider the ECS games as part of the Intellivision collection as I never owned the Computer Module growing up.

I collected those in the last 2 years to get into the 125 club.

Edited by wolfy62

I am curious about that too.

Mud Buggies was the last game I found to Complete my collection not Spiker!

This was in 2004

At the time I did not consider the ECS games as part of the Intellivision collection as I never owned the Computer Module growing up.

I collected those in the last 2 years to get into the 125 club.

Mud Buggies seems to come up in auction much more often than Spiker so I would guess more copies were made? If not maybe cmart truly has hoarded all the Spikers.

They may have started as mail order only, but I know for certain that Spiker wound up in Toys R Us because that's where I found mine in the mid 80's. They also had Wrestling and a few others, but Spiker was the only one CIB, so that's what I ended up getting. It was shrink wrapped, probably by TRU to prevent theft since these were out on a shelf not in the cage, but of course that was removed long long ago.

They may have started as mail order only, but I know for certain that Spiker wound up in Toys R Us because that's where I found mine in the mid 80's. They also had Wrestling and a few others, but Spiker was the only one CIB, so that's what I ended up getting. It was shrink wrapped, probably by TRU to prevent theft since these were out on a shelf not in the cage, but of course that was removed long long ago.

Thanks for the info, I never knew. I was pretty young when the big $1 bin sell-off happened. Funny related story....I was recently visiting my uncle (who's a semi-hoarder) and mentioned that I was into Intellivision. He disappears and returns with a garbage bag filled with sealed Intellivision games from Kay Bee toys! I looked through them and didn't see much of value (mostly Intellivision Inc commons). I told him that if he ever wants to unload them he should call me ;)

I have always been a player more than a collector. When I moved in with roommates to save space in an apartment, I tossed every Intellivision box I had. This was like 1998 or something, so the boxes included everything from Armor Battle to Spiker. The overlays went into a baseball card collector binder to make it easy to find them, the carts went into a shelf unit, and the manuals went into a box... Who knew the Inty would ever have collector value?

Anyway, for some reason I still have Sea Battle, French boxed version, CIB. If anyone wants to trade feel free to PM me. If anyone wants to send me 121 Intellivision game boxes for my youthful infractions, that is OK too.

Thanks for the info, I never knew. I was pretty young when the big $1 bin sell-off happened. Funny related story....I was recently visiting my uncle (who's a semi-hoarder) and mentioned that I was into Intellivision. He disappears and returns with a garbage bag filled with sealed Intellivision games from Kay Bee toys! I looked through them and didn't see much of value (mostly Intellivision Inc commons). I told him that if he ever wants to unload them he should call me ;)

My memory is a little hazy from that time and can't remember prices to well. I think i remember most of the games at Odd Lots being $10 or less. I can't remember the prices at other stores including Kay B. I do believe the late releases from Toys R Us were not super cheap and somewhat full price. I just don't remember what full price was.

My memory is a little hazy from that time and can't remember prices to well. I think i remember most of the games at Odd Lots being $10 or less. I can't remember the prices at other stores including Kay B. I do believe the late releases from Toys R Us were not super cheap and somewhat full price. I just don't remember what full price was.

One of my best friends worked at TRU in the late 80s / early 90s. I have a very distinct memory of catching up w/ him after returning from a year out of the U.S. in 1990, walking through TRU. We made fun of those crazy Body Slam! Spiker! and all the !!!EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!. Sadly, my scorn and extremely thin wallet won the day, and I skipped buying those, and Stadium Mud Buggies and Super Pro Decathlon (among others), which were all on the shelves CIB, $20 each, IIRC. <cry> At the time, all my free pennies were going into paying off my super-awesome 486DX with a 200MB HDD *AND* 8 MB of RAM *AND* a SoundBlaster 1.5 with optional stereo chips, 2400 baud modem, etc.!

It was still cool to see Intellivision on the store shelves w/ the much newer systems, though. This must have been in September, 1990.

Edited by intvsteve

2012 isnt up to date I guess. I think Spiker became much cheaper and Learning Fun (both games) much more expensive. Also Fathom seems to be a lot cheaper than two years ago.

Yeah, Fathom was up around $140 for a while, but much lower now. Similarly for Worm Whomper. It rarely goes above $100 and avg price is around $70-75. Slap Shot seems to have gone up. Koolaid Man up. He-man down. It's kinda fun to watch prices fluctuate.

I received my Spiker today and after some small repairs the box looks okay. I removed all the tape from the box. I also fixed the cart. The only problem was, that the hot glue lost its connection to the plate from the cart, so I removed the glue and reglue it with hot glue later and its like new. I also ironed one spine side and its much more plane than before. Looks definitely better now. 7 to go.

• Like 2

I received my Spiker today and after some small repairs the box looks okay. I removed all the tape from the box. I also fixed the cart. The only problem was, that the hot glue lost its connection to the plate from the cart, so I removed the glue and reglue it with hot glue later and its like new. I also ironed one spine side and its much more plane than before. Looks definitely better now. 7 to go.

Pict or never happened ^^

Great to know you have spiker ! :)

Edited by scalpel
  • Like 1