IGNORED

7800 - Worm!

GroovyBee

Very nice! I like playing this game over and over again :)

The sleeping snake and the less "twitchy" controls are definitly both winners :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The only things I think could be improved:

a) This game is definitly in need for a timer

b) Sound effects are cool, but the title music somehow doesn't fit the game (sorry).

Heck, this game is so great I checked ebay for finding out what an Atari 7800 costs

(not even knowing if I can get the cartridge).

Very nice! I like playing this game over and over again :)

Thanks for the compliment.

The sleeping snake and the less "twitchy" controls are definitly both winners :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OK, they'll be staying in the final release now.

The only things I think could be improved:

a) This game is definitly in need for a timer

As I mentioned earlier I'll have a think about this. There is not much room on the status bar and I'm running out of graphics and code space.

b) Sound effects are cool, but the title music somehow doesn't fit the game (sorry).

I'm not a musician so finding something without copyright issues and converting it is hard :(.

Heck, this game is so great I checked ebay for finding out what an Atari 7800 costs

(not even knowing if I can get the cartridge).

:lol: Now that is addiction :D

How about this for a timed element?

Have 4 randomly placed red apples at the start of the level. If you eat them within say 20 seconds you get 100 points each. After 20 seconds they turn brown. If you eat them between 20 and 30 seconds you get 50 points each. After 30 seconds they turn grey and you only get 10 points each.

My other thought was that at the grey stage they become obstacles like the mushrooms (to be avoided). Maybe the latter should be on the options menu?

I'm not in favour of having a timed element to complete a level in this game. The flowers and mushrooms are located randomly so the time to complete the level is variable. To me this means that there is no perfect time to aim at.

Have 4 randomly placed red apples at the start of the level. If you eat them within say 20 seconds you get 100 points each. After 20 seconds they turn brown. If you eat them between 20 and 30 seconds you get 50 points each. After 30 seconds they turn grey and you only get 10 points each.

My other thought was that at the grey stage they become obstacles like the mushrooms (to be avoided). Maybe the latter should be on the options menu?

I'm not in favour of having a timed element to complete a level in this game. The flowers and mushrooms are located randomly so the time to complete the level is variable. To me this means that there is no perfect time to aim at.

randomness = replay factor = good thing.

I like that too. I only mentioned the timer so there would be more score variability for people completing levels. This would do the same thing. Even if you don't make changes to the game though it's fine as is and a great addition to the 7800 library.

I like that too. I only mentioned the timer so there would be more score variability for people completing levels.

:lol: You mean there is not enough variability already ;).

This would do the same thing.

I've drawn some apple graphics so I'll code it up and it'll be in the next release.

Even if you don't make changes to the game though it's fine as is and a great addition to the 7800 library.

Thanks for the compliment.

I just checked the actual bin.The idea with the sleeping worm is great and makes playing much easier.

That's one vote in favour of the worm sleeping staying then ;).

But i found a bug.While playing,suddenly there were some graphic bugs.

Have a look at the photo.The game did not crash,but the bugs stayed.

I'm not sure what you mean by graphics bugs. I've looked at the image and it looks OK apart from the purple ghosting. Is that what you mean? Is it a PAL or NTSC machine?

Hi Mark

Yes,with bugs i mean this purple ghosting things.They look like shadows.........The graphics itself are ok.....

greetings Walter

greetings Walter

Apples are in and I've got 7 bytes free in the ROM. I want to add some sound effects to them so the code needs some optimisation now. Hopefully there will be a new version before the weekend. Barring any show stopper bugs that version will be a cartridge release candidate.

YAHOO!! :)

Apples are in and I've got 7 bytes free in the ROM. I want to add some sound effects to them so the code needs some optimisation now. Hopefully there will be a new version before the weekend. Barring any show stopper bugs that version will be a cartridge release candidate.

YAHOO!! icon_smile.gif

Make that a double YAHOO!! for me too!!

Find attached the latest version :-

worm!.26_02_10.1.14.a78

worm!.26_02_10.1.14.bin

What's new in this release :-

- SaveKey support fully working so high scores will be saved.

- Extra life every 10000 points.

- New high score cursor (easier to see the letters now :)).

- Extra sound effects.

- Slight colour changes to mushrooms to brighten them up.

- Optimisations and bug fixes.

And...

Prize apples! There are 4 red apples when you start a new level, each worth 100 points. After 8 seconds they'll begin to flash red/orange. When they change to orange they are worth 50 points each. After a further 8 seconds they'll flash orange/yellow. When they finally stop flashing they are only worth 10 points.

You don't have to eat them to complete the level. However, if you eat them Brian the Worm grows longer!

This is now a cart release candidate. Please do as much testing as possible. I managed to claw back quite a bit of ROM space so its possible to add more features or fix bugs.

I can't reproduce Gambler172's ghosting/shadow problem. I do see some colour bleed but I think that is just a symptom of the crappy RF connection on my PAL test machine.

As always comments, suggestions and bug reports welcome.

Have fun!

EDIT: Composition.

Edited by GroovyBee

I can't reproduce Gambler172's ghosting/shadow problem. I do see some colour bleed but I think that is just a symptom of the crappy RF connection on my PAL test machine.

As always comments, suggestions and bug reports welcome.

Have fun!

EDIT: Composition.

I'll test this on NTSC hardware today some time.

Hi Mark

Just put the last version on my CC2 and i can say.

NO BUGS,everything works perfect.The shadow bug happened on a PAL system,but on a NTSC system,it worked perfect.Now,both system work..... icon_smile.gif

So i can say.

NO BUGS FOUND icon_smile.gif

greetings Walter

This is indeed, GREAT news! It won't be long now... looking forward to firing up WORM! in the 7800!

While playing the game for the high score contest I noticed that the title screen's "High Score" seems to mean "Last Time a high score was added, but not necessarily the actual Highest Score". I'm assuming it wasn't the intended effect? :ponder:

Another odd thing I saw was when running over the tail of the worm. You'll hit it and die, but the tail is moved out of the way as it happens, making it look like you "missed" it but still died.

Yeah there were a couple times I was forced to "go for broke" and unfortunately, broke. :D

While playing the game for the high score contest I noticed that the title screen's "High Score" seems to mean "Last Time a high score was added, but not necessarily the actual Highest Score". I'm assuming it wasn't the intended effect? :ponder:

Correct! Its not the highest score on the chart. Its more like "the highest score on the chart today" kind of thing.

Another odd thing I saw was when running over the tail of the worm. You'll hit it and die, but the tail is moved out of the way as it happens, making it look like you "missed" it but still died.

I've seen this too. The collision detection happens before the worm is moved. I'll look into fixing this in the final release.