IGNORED

Lynx coding contest

Lynxman

Well, I am working on something, but any April deadline is too soon for me. I might reach a stage of an early alpha version and do an announcement. It kind of depends on things clicking together. I need some sound FX and music (obschan is helping there) and memory management. I think I did enough prototyping on the last one to feel I can put that in. The sound and music is another story. It will happen, but weird things are happening.

Anyways, I think that it is unwise for me to get sidetracked with yet something else.

That's too bad. obschan's work would really suit the coding contest, and be deserving of a price.

Maybe he should just keep his entry from the community for as long until the competition finally is being held. XD

The Lynx fans can then thank you all for not getting the awesome little goodie earlier. :P Not that I want to put pressure on you guys... ^^

Edited by 108 Stars

:D

I'm sure that whatever he's creating, fans want to see on a cart anyway, so why is the contest needed exactly? I've created 2 games (ok, only officially 1 since Traffic Jam got literally stolen from me :s ) that could be put on a cart after a little cosmetic retouch.

I kind of understood that one of the main reasons to have the competition in the first place is to create some interest in developing for the Lynx. Now that we have a few people developing actual games, that goal is sort of met? Even though there wasn't an actual winner, we have now (wild guess) 6 people developing actively.. if we could combine powers we could create an AtariAge Lynx Cartridge with a few minigames as proposed already. However, since dev time is extremely valuable, I'd like to propose such thing after certain personal goals are met...

• Like 1

Being the spy that I am I think I know most of the Lynx devs projects, hehe.^^

About obschan's, there is a good reason why it sadly can not be put on card I believe, so it will probably remain flashcard and emulation only. :) It would have been perfect for such an occasion, but alas, it can't be helped and will be nice even without the glory of a grand prize. :)

Edited by 108 Stars

I do agree with Ninjabba that the competition to release a game may have served its purpose as originally intended. However, it would be cool to have some kind of eternally running compo in some categories, like 1K and 4K (and full?). That will allow Lynx game devs to show their skills and get the most out of the Lynx, without the need for it to be a full production quality game. As some of you might know by now, I am all for sharing this knowledge. I've learned a ton of stuff again recently and will put those in some more parts of the ongoing tutorial. Small games are able to demonstrate certain techniques quite well. Sharing source code will help grow the collective knowledge on Lynx programming.

As for the compo, we could have a certain cut-off date annually to pick the best game at that point in time. We can think of some ways to have a bag of prices to hand out to the winners.

Just throwing this in there.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm interested in doing a top down shooter like zarlor mercenaries. I have created a bunch of graphics for one with the lynx's color palette limitations and resolution in mind. I feel like a top down shooter is well suited for any scale size of game - whether it is a short technical demo just to see sprites moving around, or to make something more approaching a game with multiple levels, varied enemy patterns, and varied background graphics. I have enough technical knowledge to know that asking someone to program a game for you for free is a ridiculous concept, but if anyone might have a similar interest to doing a top down shooter for the lynx, whether as a small project/proof of concept, or something larger, - I would be interested in providing/creating graphics for that. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to see sprites I have created before, with the lynx in mind.

Edited by sirlynxalot
  • Like 1