IGNORED

HSC Season 7 Week 25: Pac-Man

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

We know that millions of people all over the world just love the PAC-MAN arcade game. PAC-MAN has won the hearts of men, women, and children everywhere. We also know that PAC-MAN has traditionally been an arcade game. Well, we at ATARI know all about arcade games. After all, we make some of the greatest arcade games in the world, and we know how to bring the same dynamite game play into your home.

s_PacMan_3.png

Game Information
  • Game Name: Pac-Man
  • Released By: Atari, 1981
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice - Power Pills and Vitamin Last Longer
  • Right Difficulty: N/A (Used for Player 2)
  • Game Mode: Default
  • Chosen By: Mister VCS

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday February 10th at 1:00 AM (CST).

Current High Scores
  1. 11,325 (toymailman) [+11]
  2. 8954 (JacobZu7zu7) [+10]
  3. 8615 (Mister VCS) [+9]
  4. 8131 (oyamafamily) [+8]
  5. 6739 (darthkur) [+7]
  6. 6348 (Zoyx) [+6]
  7. 5604 (Cebus Capucinis) [+5]
  8. 3847 (zylon) [+4]
  9. 3746 (JayWI) [+3]
  10. 3061 (roadrunner) [+2]
  11. 2476 (4Ks) [+1]
  12. 1764 (aftermac) [+1]
  13. 1360 (LarcenTyler) [+1]

Best Tips
  • JacobZu7zu7 [+2]

Challenges
  • None yet

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 3,638,533 (Todd Rogers)
  2. 932,497 (Desirae Olsen)
  3. 325,116 (Ken Anderson)
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings
  1. toymailman [237]
  2. Zoyx [176]
  3. shadow460 [133]
  4. darthkur [133]
  5. roadrunner [99]
  6. Atardi [84]
  7. Deteacher [81]
  8. oyamafamily [75]
  9. Cebus Capucinis [71]
  10. vjames [71]
  11. aftermac [69]
  12. LarcenTyler [63]
  13. Captain Beard [61]
  14. godzillajoe [56]
  15. JacobZu7zu7 [54]
  16. keilbaca [42]
  17. brandondwright [30]
  18. Vectorman0 [29]
  19. Carey85 [29]
  20. 4Ks [27]
  21. homerwannabee [26]
  22. Hornpipe2 [25]
  23. SpiceWare [24]
  24. Wickeycolumbus [22]
  25. Mister VCS [21]
  26. pis [19]
  27. devwebcl [13]
  28. Nathan Strum [11]
  29. LoneWolfSeth [10]
  30. LaserHawk [10]
  31. joeypsp [9]
  32. Tr3vor [9]
  33. kote [8]
  34. Animan [6]
  35. HatNJ [6]
  36. Chris Leach [5]
  37. chuckwalla [4]
  38. MIKE5200 [4]
  39. Skaarg [4]
  40. Shannon [2]
  41. jeremysart [2]
  42. vintagegamecrazy [2]
  43. sloth713 [2]
  44. jjd [2]
  45. ChrisKoopa [1]
  46. SeaGtGruff [1]
  47. Impaler_26 [1]
  48. Nati [1]
  49. disjuakifa [1]

Scoring Points in Pac-Man
  • Video Wafer - 1 point
  • Power Pill - 5 points
  • Vitamins - 100 points
  • First Ghost - 20 points
  • Second Ghost - 40 points
  • Third Ghost - 80 points
  • Fourth Ghost - 160 points
  • You earn a bonus Pac-Man for every level completed (the maximum is 9 Pac-men in reserve).

Hints and Tips

The Manual

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy available online. Here are the hints it provides:

• When all of the ghosts are hiding on top of each other, eat a Power Pill and then you can gobble all four ghosts in one big bite and score 300 points.
  • Try to eat as many Video Wafers as possible before eating a Power Pill. This will save the Power Pill until you really need it.
  • Before you eat a Power Pill, stay in the corner close to it so you can tease the ghosts into moving closer to you, thus allowing you to eat more ghosts with one Power Pill.
  • Use the top and bottom openings in the maze like a tunnel to outsmart the ghosts. Slip in or out of the openings to escape hungry ghosts.

We played this game once before in the HSC, check it out here.

JacobZu7zu7

1. Vitamins are worth 100 points, eating all the ghosts is worth 300. Those Vitamins score close as much as eating 3 ghosts. So, try to eat your vitamins when possible!

2. Try to eat every ghost in the first few levels... (especially the 1st stage) a good idea is to wait at corners for the ghosts to near you. It's ok if you leave some wafers behind, you can retrieve them later, as the ghosts aren't fast enough to catch up with you, yet. Just remember to make good use of the maze, in dodging these ghosts.

3. A good technique at the start of a level, go right/down and right to the bottom wall... then when the ghosts are nearer, quickly head all the way to the left, then straight up... this can gobble up some good amount of wafers and the ghosts normally will be of track or in the wrong direction. probably a good plan for the 3rd to 6th run through (middle/later points of your game).

4. In the game after you score about 3,000 to 4,000 points... avoid going in straight lines, as the ghosts are very fast now and will catch up to you. Use turns even if it may cost you a life, just keep trying to eat all the wafers and don't worry about eating more then 2 ghosts... with the power pill. 2 eaten ghosts is plenty at this stage. Also don't try to be perfect here if you want to reach over 7,000.

5. If you reach 7,000, or whatever score you feel you cannot beat, it may be a good idea to only use the 4 power pills, and give up on the dots in the maze, if you are running short on lives, you can rack up a nice final score by just running to each of the 4 corners and eating ghosts!

--Zero

Are the standings ever gong to be reset? Maybe every year, every season... With noobs like me to the site, it would be more interesting. Still keep an all time, but to have "This Winter's Champion!" or "Summer HSC 2010" added to you signature would be cool.

Yes, the point totals get reset every time a new season starts. We are now 25 weeks into the 7th season. I "joined" near the end of season 4 (around week 50-something). The seasons seem to vary in length. Below is how long each of the past seasons have run.

Season 1: 38 weeks

Season 2: 26 weeks

Season 3: 37 weeks

Season 4: 70 weeks

Season 5: 50 weeks

Season 6: 50 weeks

We know that millions of people all over the world just love the PAC-MAN arcade game. PAC-MAN has won the hearts of men, women, and children everywhere. We also know that PAC-MAN has traditionally been an arcade game. Well, we at ATARI know all about arcade games. After all, we make some of the greatest arcade games in the world, and we know how to bring the same dynamite game play into your home.

That's what ATARI said!

But anyway, first score is 1,360.

Jeez, just playing this again makes me remember why I hate this game so, so very much. Hit detection is absolutely TERRIBLE. A ghost so much as thinks about touching you and you're toast after board 3. You turn a corner and a ghost is sort of near you? You're dead. The flicker makes your eyeballs bleed by board 4, and you can be right on top of eating a pellet and it will still stay on the screen if you have to turn quickly.

My sort-of tip: You can get 1446 points on board 1 if you clear everything and get all 4 ghosts for each power pill.

Are the standings ever gong to be reset? Maybe every year, every season... With noobs like me to the site, it would be more interesting. Still keep an all time, but to have "This Winter's Champion!" or "Summer HSC 2010" added to you signature would be cool.

Yes, the point totals get reset every time a new season starts. We are now 25 weeks into the 7th season. I "joined" near the end of season 4 (around week 50-something). The seasons seem to vary in length. Below is how long each of the past seasons have run.

Season 1: 38 weeks

Season 2: 26 weeks

Season 3: 37 weeks

Season 4: 70 weeks

Season 5: 50 weeks

Season 6: 50 weeks

OK, great!

And I suck at Pac-Man, bummer...

HIGH SCORES so far... as of FEB 7TH.

1st... toymailman 11,135

2nd... JacobZu7zu7 8,954

3rd... Mister VCS 8,615

4th... oyamafamily 8,131

5th... Zoyx 5,667

6th... Cebus Capucinis 5,604

7th... JayWI 3,746

8th... roadrunner 3,061

9th... 4ks 2,476

10th... aftermac 1,764

11th... Larcen Tyler 1,360

Edited by JacobZu7zu7

.... 4th Mister VCS 5,335 icon_smile.gif

post-98-126546840584_thumb.jpg

first impression after "Power On": my god, the flickering is awful - but after playing Pac-Man a few minutes: this game is not so bad, it is still Pac-Man!

Mister VCS, (added you to 4th place in the score leaderboard) and yes I agree Pac-man is still pac-man, and this version isn't great but it's playable and has plenty of game settings you can select from, which makes things interesting.

I noticed the flickering ghosts too now, in the past it didn't seem so bad, but with my semi-new TV set... wow the flicker appears much more sensative to my eyes. Flicker in general may appear worser with newer technology. :P The walls in Yars' Revenge were really flickering when I played it last night.