IGNORED

12 Months, $60, and a Playstation 2

gamerz

Now is definitely the time to collect PS2 titles. Despite my troubles with it, I'm definitely giving it more browsing time in the used gaming shops. I find titles running $5 to $10 all the time.

I wonder what's going to turn out being rare or valuable for it? I think FFX International and .hack will both become valuable. I think Arctic Thunder has already become somewhat rare.

Maybe that Metal Gear Solid: Subsistence or whatever it's called. Katamari would have been but they did that second run. Isn't there a rare Baldour's Gate, or is that for XBox? I agree though, now is the time to start snapping up cheapo PS2 games, and XBox for that matter.

Chris

Thanks for the kind words, kids! I'm having a lot of fun with this project. Picking the games is the hard part, and I only get to do 12 of them. My local second hand has like twice that many. Some are interesting and some look pretty rough, but we'll play what we can play and see how it turns out. For $5 a pop, it is worth the risk.

Thanks for reading!

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if I have any games that would be considered both "cheap" and "not well known". Most of the second hand PS2 games I buy cost between $5 and $10, but to my knowledge, they're pretty well known. Still, I do see tons of $5 games at the used games shops these days.

Some that have interested me recently:

SingStar games

Tourist Trophy (Poly Digital's motorcycle racing game)

Midway Arcade Treasures 1

With the wealth of PS2 titles out there, lots of things slip through the cracks, especially for me since I was focused heavily on the Gamecube at the time. For me there is a whole sea of "new" games out there I had no idea existed! That's where the fun is for me in all of this!

Thanks for reading! :spidey:

With the wealth of PS2 titles out there, lots of things slip through the cracks, especially for me since I was focused heavily on the Gamecube at the time. For me there is a whole sea of "new" games out there I had no idea existed! That's where the fun is for me in all of this!

Thanks for reading! :spidey:

That's the way things always go I find. I'm still picking up games for PS2, Xbox and GC that I either didn't see the first time around or was too expensive to take a risk on. It was like that for the PS1 and Dreamcast as well when the PS2 was the leader. Nice way to fill out a collection either way.

Great reviews Stan! Keep it up.

• 3 weeks later...

I really didn't like Red Ninja. I had picked it up and played it for a couple of hours. Realized that it was just too annoying to play and that I would never desire to pick it up again. This may be a function of the annoying camera / difficult move set that Stan mentions. I eventually sold it off on the Chuckwagon and don't really regret it.

Graphically it is well done and don't recall any glitches -- other than the wacky camera angle problems. As a side note, this game also was done on the original XBox.

Hex.

[ Just is not one for stealth I suppose. Explains why I just am passing on the Metal Gear series nowadays. ]

Yeah, and the odd thing is, this kind of game really isn't my forte as well, but I really like the concept, I just haven't seen it well executed very often.

I think Red Ninja accomplishes this feat despite its occasional wonky camera angle.