IGNORED

12 Months, $60, and a Playstation 2

gamerz

Very cool! I'd love to hear what you think of it! I love it!

Very addictive I find, although I need far more training! I can take everyone out in the first mission without getting detected now however, so that's a sign of improvement. The first time I played the first mission it took me a few tries just to get past the first guard. ;)

I have to pace myself tho as I find 3-6 hours can disappear (and frequently did over this last weekend) whenever I sat down to play it.

Over the weekend I've gotten part way through the third mission. Only checked a FAQ once for the suspension bridge.

Edited by Mord

I'm curious what you'd have to write about Unlimited Saga.

I sure wanted to like this game! I found it impenetrable, no clue what I was doing or how to play it. I read the RPG rulebook, but this game really has a "learn it by making a mistake" kind of thing going on, only I couldn't tell WHAT was making me die constantly. Seemed like a cool RPG, gave it a shot after finishing Persona 3 and wanted another JRPG to play, but just couldn't wrap my brain around this one.

I'm curious what you'd have to write about Unlimited Saga.

I sure wanted to like this game! I found it impenetrable, no clue what I was doing or how to play it. I read the RPG rulebook, but this game really has a "learn it by making a mistake" kind of thing going on, only I couldn't tell WHAT was making me die constantly. Seemed like a cool RPG, gave it a shot after finishing Persona 3 and wanted another JRPG to play, but just couldn't wrap my brain around this one.

I have the game but haven't started playing it yet. Based on my To Do pile, I'll get around to that one probably by next winter, unless other games force a reshuffle of the pile. :ponder:

As it stands, it's due to be played after Legacy of Kain: Defiance and before FFX.

I'll probably insert Sakura Wars in before all 3 of them at some point tho.

ROCK ON, Mord! I'm still on the third mission, but I can easily imagine from what I have seen that all of the skills are required to succeed! You rock!

:spidey:

Given the relatively poor state of the FAQs for this game on gamefaqs, I'm half tempted to make one myself - but I'm not exactly perfect at the game nor have a lot of time to spend on it. If you get stuck on a boss, check it to see what it says but experiment. Their info isn't exactly the most helpful however. If you're still stuck just ask. I'll write up whatever I remember from the bosses. ^^

Thanks, brother. I'm doing pretty well without FAQ's, but you never know when I'll get stuck. Right now I'm stuck in the warehouse with the bazillion guards and I'm having trouble sneaking around all of them and taking them out without being mobbed. I need better skill with the entanglement!

Thanks, brother. I'm doing pretty well without FAQ's, but you never know when I'll get stuck. Right now I'm stuck in the warehouse with the bazillion guards and I'm having trouble sneaking around all of them and taking them out without being mobbed. I need better skill with the entanglement!

I remember the place all too well. :|

I didn't learn to use the weight wire very well at that point so I had to resort to jumping from the beams in hopes of getting a stealth kill then running back up to hide in the beams asap. I can think of better ways to get through it at this point. Make sure you know how to target the neck with the weight wire!

• 3 weeks later...

If you aren't confused enough already Stan, The sequel to Mobile Light Force 2 is Castle Shikigami 2. (I actually did a quick review of it waaay back when) The series also got an installment on the Wii. While I'm essentially horrible at these bullet-hell type shooters. I thought Mobile Light Force 2 was tough enough overall. I think that the screen is formatted that way to make it look like a stand-up arcade cabinet. What I don't know is if this series was produced on stand-up machines or not.

I also have a pic of Castle Shikigami 2 front cover posted in the gallery if you want to sift through my PS2 collection.

Castle Shikigami 2 [2004]

Hex.

[ Is going to be looking for something new to play soon enough... ]

yeah, this thing has identity crisis written all over it. You would think we Americans are familiar enough with Japanese culture and the like that we could handle the original titles, etc. for their games.

I was tempted to pick up the copy of MBL that I saw, but it was $12 and this game wasn't a strong enough endorsement for me to make that kind of investment...

• 5 weeks later...

I liked the Wii shikigami.

Anyway - it's clear to me that even though I don't like Sony products much, any CD based game is going to be harder to collect for relatively quickly, since the games themselves and their cases won't survive like cart-based games will. I almost feel the need to start collecting proactively so that I won't find myself paying out the earhole for some obscure RPG on ebay ten years later saying "I used to pass this up in junk stores every week".

What should I really look out for? So far the list of things I envy PS owners for is relatively short - Tactics, SotN, Rival Schools, Colossus and Xeno.

I liked the Wii shikigami.

Anyway - it's clear to me that even though I don't like Sony products much, any CD based game is going to be harder to collect for relatively quickly, since the games themselves and their cases won't survive like cart-based games will. I almost feel the need to start collecting proactively so that I won't find myself paying out the earhole for some obscure RPG on ebay ten years later saying "I used to pass this up in junk stores every week".

What should I really look out for? So far the list of things I envy PS owners for is relatively short - Tactics, SotN, Rival Schools, Colossus and Xeno.

i'd say anything by nis and atlus especially on ps2.

nis titles that are gaining value on the secondary market include Ar Tonelico 1&2, Mana Khemia 1&2 and Sakura Wars.

Atlus titles include Persona 3&4, Digital Devil Saga 1&2, Shin Megami Nocturne and Devil Summoner 1& 2.

more common titles that are relatively collectible/pricey include Silent Hill 2,3,4 and Shattered Memories (i see it increasing due to its status as one of the last handful of ps2 games).

Sniper Elite is relatively scarce as are the 3 Fatal Frame titles. Rez is also hard to find.

i'm sure there are more but that's what i own and am familiar with.

oh, almost forgot Ico, that's going for a few bucks these days to say the least.

as a bonus they're all amazing games, there isn't a bad title in the bunch. expect to pay between $20-$30 if you want these new, i know that's what amazon sells new copies of the Atlus games for. some, like Ico and probably the silent hill games are very pricey new.

Edited by xg4bx

Unlike the SAT original, it's behind-the-butt instead of true FP. As you might imagine, this helps the targeting a lot but tones down the atmosphere by a bit. The atmosphere is amazing, a very dark/empty future deal. Brilliant work of interactive fiction, but it makes you work pretty hard for it. The story takes more than a few playthroughs to unlock - since it's a 3-d roguelike, it has randomly created dungeons every time you play, and you lose ALL your items AND all your levels when you beat the dungeon - or just die. the only thing that carries over between games is the story progress. The number of items you can store increases if you do it right. I understand why people don't like it, since they're used to keeping data while progressing. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. I'd say you'd like it if you're into any roguelike, oldschool PC 3-d dungeoncrawl games, or the Harvest moon/rune factory games. Weird comparisons, yes - it's kind of like harvest moon in that it takes a lot of work, you can miss events, it doesn't always turn out the same, and you're not always sure what to do next. One FAQ I read about it explained/defended it this way - "Compare it to another genre - the RTS. You begin the level with little, build up until you 'win', and then start over again." I play it all the time. Can be depressing though, it's uber-bleak.

What originally attracted me to Baroque, strangely, was reading cheat codes for it. They made no sense AT ALL and I thought "this game must be CRAZY", and it kind of is. It'd say like

Lonely Seeker: Don't talk to anyone.

I am all: Merge with the true god while in lust

Child's eye: Use pure water

and I was like.. what is this, a haiku? It makes sense to me now. Plus, it was like eight bucks at gameshlop, so no huge loss.