IGNORED

TI-99/4a disk-based CRPG

adamantyr

Looking fantastic!

I did notice a minor issue in the video : when the wizard is in the left lower corner and fires a (?) missile diagonally, the missile reappears briefly on the right lower edge of the screen, indicating that the missile sprite is not getting inactivated as soon as it hits the edge of the view window.

Thanks. Yes, there's definitely an overflow issue somewhere I need to track down... Seems to happen with particular slopes.

Another issue is that the "miss" mechanic just uses an AND operation to limit the miss location to the window. The problem with that is that it will make it WILDLY off, over on the other side of the window, in some instances. I think I can live with that. :)

Eric Seablade: "Wow... seriously bad shot there, Mauve."

Mauve d'Or Mul: "Shut up!"

Adamantyr

Edited by adamantyr

• 4 weeks later...

Missed you guys too... I'm finally back in civilization and I'm able to actually watch TV from time to time... Internet is incredible, man. I had forgotten how amazing technology was!!!

That sounds hokey, but we were literally on a farm in the middle of nowhere with no tv, no internet, nothing!

To get back on here and see the progress the community continues to make warms my heart to no end... I can't tell you. It's like coming home, really.

• 3 weeks later...

Not yet. It's not too high priority, it's not like it crashes the program. :)

I slowed down a bit on development, because I had to do a bunch of content generation for spells. Now I'm re-writing a block of code that controls effects to make it more efficient. Not sure I'll have time this weekend to work on it, but we'll see...

Adamantyr

I'm looking forward to it. =)

Playing around with the exploration mode, (the old version I have), I keep wishing the RPG releases in the 80s for the TI would have been more expansive or at least more ambitious. There was real money being thrown around back then for game development... Of course the Legend series is classic and shouldn't be ignored... Old Dark Caves as well... But man, when your game is done, they will be but memories of a long-forgotten time. =)

Thanks, Owen. My main goal is to make a game that invokes that same sense of wonder I had playing CRPG's back then...

When I first played Legends, it really did seem like the world was open to all possibilities... it wasn't until much later that I realized how, well, limited the game really was. And even more so, now that I've seen the game it was based on, Phantasie. (Phantasie, in contrast, offers MANY more classes, plus races, which are fully customizable, and multiple towns and even quests!)

Information control is a big part of that. I don't want the extent of what the engine can do to be fully known, nor all the information about the game readily available at the start. Otherwise, what's the mystery?

Adamantyr

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Quick note, working on the CRPG again. :) Still on the spell system, trying to get the effects to work... I also have to code them to work in travel mode as well at the same time, slowing me down a bit.

Been slowed down due to job hunting (long story) and spending time with my marvelous awesome girlfriend. (Who is always and ever will be my priority...)

Adamantyr

• Like 3

Quick note, working on the CRPG again. :) Still on the spell system, trying to get the effects to work... I also have to code them to work in travel mode as well at the same time, slowing me down a bit.

Excellent to hear (about the CRPG and girlfriend), I'd love to see how far you can take this (uhm, the CRPG...).

Been slowed down due to job hunting (long story) and spending time with my marvelous awesome girlfriend. (Who is always and ever will be my priority...)

Adamantyr

Sounds like someone has been casting spells outside of the CRPG.... ;)

• 5 months later...

Back on the wagon! I'm currently debugging the fireball spell, which has some FX and mapping issues. Not long ago, it kept hitting the rogue instead of the targeted location!

Plus around 50% of the time, I get a nasty squealing sound instead of a spell, seems there's some kind of major intermittent bug... this is where using a stack to store return addresses REALLY comes in handy to figure out where the program went horribly wrong.

When it's working I'm definitely recording a video, it's going to look awesome!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...