IGNORED

TI-99/4a disk-based CRPG

adamantyr

12 hours ago, wierd_w said:

I have a large format printer just chillin in one of my work rooms, do you want any large maps printed? I can order some shiny paper.

Well thank you for the offer! I'll let you know. My plan was to get the map printed at Office Depot ($1.18 a copy) and then trim it down from 11x17. It still has to fit inside the 6x9 box with two folds.

1 hour ago, adamantyr said:

Well thank you for the offer! I'll let you know. My plan was to get the map printed at Office Depot ($1.18 a copy) and then trim it down from 11x17. It still has to fit inside the 6x9 box with two folds.

Meh! over a buck a pop For 11x17!?

I would just grab a 22" roll of paper, and print two at the same time. My printer handles up to 36" wide roll. (Or I could order a box of shiny 11x17, and use the sheet feeder, but that would take forever.)

Office Depot's online store currently has 24" coated paper roll on sale for around 50$.

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/816844/HP-Coated-Paper-Roll-24-x/;jsessionid=0000ExpxUEAwWkjeYxV1SwN4Q31:17h4h7ado

I would need to know how many you need to know if I can undercut that 1$ figure. (If I ran out the whole roll, printing 2 at a time and using a paper slicer to cut them apart... I would get 210 prints, assuming no misprints. That comes out to about 25 cents per map, paper cost wise.  Ink is actually pretty inexpensive for this printer, shockingly. Its about 50$ per tank, and each tank holds about a liter of ink. I have brand new tanks installed.)

I have some cheap bond paper loaded right now. I am gonna run your small image through waifux2-caffe and scale it up to meet the printer's native resolution and do a test print. See how it looks.

Edited by wierd_w
  • Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 1:41 AM, DuaneAL said:

Looks like I'll have to invest in a SAMS card?... and a PEB.  Too bad for me there's not a SAMS version of the nanoPEB.  Really amazing looking!

The 99/5c computer demonstrated at the Chicago Faire this past weekend has an integrated SAMS, 80-cols support via the 9938 VDP with VGA output, SD-based storage and USB mouse, joysticks and keyboard while being 100% compatible with the 99/4A. It's selling at $479.95 (add $30 for a powered case if you need one). Here's the site: https://caddelectronics.com/product/ti-99-5c-bare-metal/

In your situation, purchasing a PEB and SAMS, plus shipping, would get you pretty close to that price point. Something to think about.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vorticon said:

The 99/5c computer demonstrated at the Chicago Faire this past weekend has an integrated SAMS, 80-cols support via the 9938 VDP with VGA output, SD-based storage and USB mouse, joysticks and keyboard while being 100% compatible with the 99/4A. It's selling at $479.95 (add $30 for a powered case if you need one). Here's the site: https://caddelectronics.com/product/ti-99-5c-bare-metal/

In your situation, purchasing a PEB and SAMS, plus shipping, would get you pretty close to that price point. Something to think about.

That looks amazing- I really need to make it to the event sometime.  Thanks for the info! I was hoping Fabrice would have his Ti (ny) done, then there is this or stay totally retro-original with the PEB- so many options!

5 minutes ago, broettger said:

Awesome news.  I can’t wait for the full release!

Hopefully not too far off...

Under normal circumstances with another game, I would just release it and let feedback come in to fix bugs and stuff. But I feel like I need to have a higher quality here, since a CRPG takes a considerable amount of time to complete. I don't want six months from now someone saying "Oh BTW, you can't actually finish it because of this".

I've played through the early content on my own a lot, but fresh eyes definitely helps as well to catch particulars I may have missed because I'm too close to things.

Much like with Wizard's Doom, I'm going to probably end up tweaking monster statistics and general play difficulty a LOT. I want the game to be accessible but not too easy.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update...

Beta testing is going well, we are up to build #13. :) IF you are interested in testing, please drop me a PM. Bear in mind testing means actually dealing with having to start the game over a lot, encountering bugs and trying to repro them, having some free time to devote to it, etc.

I believe that I will be able to also offer the game as executable with a 180K drive system as well. It would be six disks, and you'd have to swap the load disk for a game disk right after the title screen. And I'd still strongly advise anyone to just get a TI-PI because it's WAY more convenient. :)

• Like 1

I wish I had a SAMS; I would accept that offer.  I often get more enjoyment out of breaking games than I do playing them. 

Sadly, part of doing this properly means "real hardware preferred", since you want to fix problems with your software, not experience "unintended FUN" from emulation not being 100%.

6 minutes ago, wierd_w said:

I wish I had a SAMS; I would accept that offer.  I often get more enjoyment out of breaking games than I do playing them. 

Sadly, part of doing this properly means "real hardware preferred", since you want to fix problems with your software, not experience "unintended FUN" from emulation not being 100%.

Actually I prefer emulation for beta testing. I've had guys step through the debugger for me when I wasn't able to repro the issue myself.

Classic99 is also 99.99% solid in terms of replicating the original hardware. We even discovered a small bug in Classic99 with the key scan routine in the process of testing.

I might just take you up on it then.

Does classic99 do savestates? It would be useful (rather than saving and loading the game over and over again) when validating all possible interactions, etc.

Also, I DID print a sample of that map after Waifu2x-ing it.  It turned out pretty nice, all in all, other than the strangeness waifu did to it. Want pictures?

Edited by wierd_w

2 minutes ago, wierd_w said:

I might just take you up on it then.

Does classic99 do savestates? It would be useful (rather than saving and loading the game over and over again) when validating all possible interactions, etc.

It doesn't have save states, no. Just PM me an email contact address and your full name for the credits!

Also, we use a Discord server, which you are free to join and chat with other testers, report issues in real time, etc. Or you can just stick with e-mailing reports, whichever works best.

Ok.  Not tonight though. Work. Tomorrow is good though.

My good phone is currently too drained to take pics but heres a crappy one from the "work phone" (it takes awful pictures. My good phone is a galaxy S5, and takes nice ones) of a print i did of your map. Its just bond paper but still. 

20191204_150945.thumb.jpg.9ff9f07a4dd9bcfd00b46bbd19dec7af.jpg

Edited by wierd_w
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, wierd_w said:

My good phone is currently too drained to take pics but heres a crappy one from the "work phone" (it takes awful pictures. My good phone is a galaxy S5, and takes nice ones) of a print i did of your map. Its just bond paper but stil

Wow, that map looks great printed out.