IGNORED

Apple IIgs

Oh eff...

You know, I consider myself a marginally adept guy.....

...but I didn't even think of that. Thankfully, the magnet is against the wall, and a few feet from the disks....oye.....what a dunce....

Very nice, but if you could, please get your new baby away from that giant magnet amp. :P

Hey, no problem, just glad I could help!

I've been wanting a mint, non-yellowed classic, or classic color for a long time. It's very hard finding older macs like this, especially ones that are so complete! Great find once again, and enjoy your new Apple :).

I have a 4MB RAM card and a CFFA Compact FLASH interface in mine. Very cool!

What can be done in terms of getting large amounts of game software to run from the CFFA? I haven't toyed with my CFFA much but it seems without floppy image emulation capability that it's not of much use for the majority of gaming.

I don't have a CFFA, but I've used ADTpro to copy games to the IIgs's ramdisk and launched them from there. I don't think that's really floppy disk emulation. Have you tried creating a partition of the appropriate size and using ADTpro to fill it with a disk image? Seems like that should work, at least for games that have been well cracked.

The sound in a standard Apple ][+ or //e system is basically a speaker that is toggled on/off. There is no in between positions. The voicecoil either has current or it doesn't. Every sound is composed of clicks. You get tones by varying the time delay between those clicks. Far more primitive than the 2600 for example.

I have a 4MB RAM card and a CFFA Compact FLASH interface in mine. Very cool!

What can be done in terms of getting large amounts of game software to run from the CFFA? I haven't toyed with my CFFA much but it seems without floppy image emulation capability that it's not of much use for the majority of gaming.

A lot of cracked stuff can be run from a RAM disk. Any copy protected stuff that hasn't been cracked has to be run from floppy. There's actually a few titles that require you use the original floppy drives & controller if you want them to work. It will be interesting to see if they work on the new CFFA. I do know there are a handful of titles that don't work on the IIgs, I asked about compatibility on applefritter.com sometime last year.

I have retested all of the software, since it is now AWAY from my amplifier ;), and (thankfully) none of it was damaged. I also managed to pick up about nine Atarisoft titles from another local Craigslist ad (all of which were sealed). I'm ecstatic to have a playable copy of Gremlins. That was a title I wanted to pick up on my 5200 binge last year, but always seemed too expensive.

One last thing....

When it rains, it pours. I was contacted about an Apple II+ system, still boxed, with a modem, extra ram, an Epson Printer, and a boat load software. EVERY component is boxed (except for the Monitor III), and the guy even had receipts for almost everything :-)

I couldn't resist picking it up. $100 didn't seem like a lot, especially as I had seen some of these cards alone go for over $90 on eBay. The condition of the unit is perfect. It's been stored in a plastic bag in its box since the late 1980s, and it was VERY well taken care of. I'm in the process of moving, otherwise I'd provide a picture of this really neat score.

Now, my only trouble is getting PacMan to load properly on the IIgs. I get the PacMan demo screen, but the screen displays an entire screen of 2s instead of loading the game. It runs fine in the II+, however. I have slowed the IIgs to the "normal" speed, and I have the caps lock on....it still won't load, though. All of the other Atarisoft games are fine.....any ideas?

I have retested all of the software, since it is now AWAY from my amplifier ;), and (thankfully) none of it was damaged. I also managed to pick up about nine Atarisoft titles from another local Craigslist ad (all of which were sealed). I'm ecstatic to have a playable copy of Gremlins. That was a title I wanted to pick up on my 5200 binge last year, but always seemed too expensive.

If anyone else needs a set of the Atarisoft titles, I have several complete sets unopened.

One last thing....

When it rains, it pours. I was contacted about an Apple II+ system, still boxed, with a modem, extra ram, an Epson Printer, and a boat load software. EVERY component is boxed (except for the Monitor III), and the guy even had receipts for almost everything :-)

I couldn't resist picking it up. $100 didn't seem like a lot, especially as I had seen some of these cards alone go for over $90 on eBay. The condition of the unit is perfect. It's been stored in a plastic bag in its box since the late 1980s, and it was VERY well taken care of. I'm in the process of moving, otherwise I'd provide a picture of this really neat score.

Apple II+ systems in box sell for a lot more than that!

My unboxed II+ cost me a $10 Home Depot gift card I got for free. :D

Now, my only trouble is getting PacMan to load properly on the IIgs. I get the PacMan demo screen, but the screen displays an entire screen of 2s instead of loading the game. It runs fine in the II+, however. I have slowed the IIgs to the "normal" speed, and I have the caps lock on....it still won't load, though. All of the other Atarisoft games are fine.....any ideas?

It probably uses protection that requires the original drive controller. Something about the ROM on the original controller being needed. That or the disk is bad.

Edited by JamesD

$100 for a nice boxed II+ was a great deal, I think. I can't remember exactly how much I paid for my unboxed ][e with III monitor, extra drive and joystick, but it wasn't a lot less than that.

I love my Monitor III.... I do, however, wish I had a color CRT for the IIPlus (which wouldn't be an issue if it weren't for the compatability issues with the IIGS and some of the old II software....not to mention the super-cool feeling of the II+'s keyboard)

It probably uses protection that requires the original drive controller. Something about the ROM on the original controller being needed. That or the disk is bad.

BTW, you can disable the onboard controller, plug in a II+ controller + drives and run most of the stuff that has issues with the IIgs.

BTW, you can disable the onboard controller, plug in a II+ controller + drives and run most of the stuff that has issues with the IIgs.

Good to know! Thank you! I assumed that this could be done. I'm in the process of moving into a much bigger place, in which I'll have an entire room to dedicate to these machines, as well as the consoles. Once it's setup, I'll have multiple machines running, and compatibility won't matter. For the next week or so, though, I only have deskspace for one computer at a time. Since the IIgs has the color monitor, it won the battle. Thankfully, it's just PacMan and Moon Patrol (of the Atarisoft titles) that won't work...but, as I said, it won't be an issue next week icon_mrgreen.gif

Edited by tisaperfectdayelise

Go into the control panel and turn on "alternative display mode" and that will clear it up. There is something about RAM page mirroring that a handful of games utilize and this happens.

That setting is not saved at reboot, so you have to turn it back on for any game that doesn't display correctly. (There are only a few).

... my unboxed ][e

I'm confused... I thought it was //e.

Let's see: (After some research at the apple-history museum)

Apple I

Apple ][, ][+, ][e

Apple //c, //c+, Platinum //e, //gs, ///, ///+

(Yes, this is important; in a vain attempt to distract myself during lunch...)

desiv

... my unboxed ][e

I'm confused... I thought it was //e.

Let's see: (After some research at the apple-history museum)

Apple I

Apple ][, ][+, ][e

Apple //c, //c+, Platinum //e, //gs, ///, ///+

(Yes, this is important; in a vain attempt to distract myself during lunch...)

desiv

Yeah, I've probably never touched anything from the // era, except maybe a //c once. Pretty sad when the "new" // era is "after my time" LOL... gawd I'm old.