IGNORED

Is 'Splosion Man possible on the 2600?

Vectorman0

This is an Xbox 360 Live Arcade game that was released last summer. Besides the fact it's a very fun game, what really caught my attention was the simplicity of the controls. Left and Right for movement and a single button to explode - only three buttons in total.

It's easier for me to link you to a video than to try to properly describe the gameplay:

There would need to be moving platforms, explosive barrels, turrets, switches and scientists to stay true to the original. Looking at the gameplay video, do you think this game is reasonably possible to program for the 2600?

Edited by Vectorman0

• 3 weeks later...

Are there any scrolling platform games for the 2600?

I think that was the point he was making :)

(Reindeer Rescue comes close though).

Chris

Mountain King also, and Moon Patrol is kind of almost a platformer. And don't forget Splatform! EDIT: And

A few vertically-scrolling ones, also: among others, Pitfall II, Squish 'Em, and Elevator Action.

EDIT: I forgot Nightrider; didn't you write that Chris? :ponder:

Anyway, to the original point:

There would need to be moving platforms, explosive barrels, turrets, switches and scientists to stay true to the original. Looking at the gameplay video, do you think this game is reasonably possible to program for the 2600?

You can always strip things out and come up with something, but honestly, that game looks totally generic. Instead of jump you explode? Wow...how exciting. :roll:

Take a look at existing 2600 platformers (those listed above as well as the single-screen platformers: Montezuma's Revenge, Pitfall!, Hunchy 2, Gingerbread Man, Miner 2049er, Mario Bros., H.E.R.O., etc.) and you'll see the limitations.

If you want to make a platformer for the 2600, a genre that is difficult to do well, you're better off starting from scratch and designing around the 2600's strengths and limitations, rather than going the other way.

Edited by vdub_bobby

You can always strip things out and come up with something, but honestly, that game looks totally generic. Instead of jump you explode? Wow...how exciting. :roll:

don't knock it 'til you play it. it's one of my favorite 360 downloads. the level designs (especially the 'rising water' ones) are genius.

perhaps instead of focusing on giant scrolling levels, it could be easier to design one-screen-at-a-time levels but with the same mechanics. i would love to see/play this on the 2600

don't knock it 'til you play it. it's one of my favorite 360 downloads. the level designs (especially the 'rising water' ones) are genius.

Fair enough. But undoubtedly the one thing you won't be able to recreate on the 2600 is the level designs, so you're left with a platformer with apparently utterly generic mechanics.

For those of us who haven't played the original, what is going to make a 2600 version better or more compelling than Pitfall!, Pitfall II, Hunchy 2, Montezuma's Revenge, Mountain King, Crazy Climber, Donkey Kong, Man Goes Down, Fall Down, Crystal Castles, Q*bert, Jungle Hunt, Keystone Kapers, Frostbite, Kangaroo, Popeye, Moon Patrol, Crazy Climber, Squish 'Em, Reindeer Rescue, Splatform, Nightrider, Miner 2049er, BurgerTime, Fast Eddie, Mario Bros., H.E.R.O., Joust, The Adventures of TRON, Smurfs, etc. etc. etc.?

Fair enough. But undoubtedly the one thing you won't be able to recreate on the 2600 is the level designs, so you're left with a platformer with apparently utterly generic mechanics.

For those of us who haven't played the original, what is going to make a 2600 version better or more compelling than Pitfall!, Pitfall II, Hunchy 2, Montezuma's Revenge, Mountain King, Crazy Climber, Donkey Kong, Man Goes Down, Fall Down, Crystal Castles, Q*bert, Jungle Hunt, Keystone Kapers, Frostbite, Kangaroo, Popeye, Moon Patrol, Crazy Climber, Squish 'Em, Reindeer Rescue, Splatform, Nightrider, Miner 2049er, BurgerTime, Fast Eddie, Mario Bros., H.E.R.O., Joust, The Adventures of TRON, Smurfs, etc. etc. etc.?

if the programmer can include the triple-jump, the ability to latch onto/slide down walls, and can push level design to the limits, we COULD have a winner. doubtful, yes. hopeful, yes. :D

Gingerbread Man has a 'rising water' level. Apparently nobody has made it there, though.