IGNORED

ColecoVision Controller IC repair

Yurkie

I had 4 ColecoVision Units that had a blown controller chip IC. I had to get one fixed at a repair shop a few weeks ago so I could test and ship some controllers to customers. I decided I was going to get some ICs and fix the other units myself. I ordered a bunch of chips and sockets and fixed 3 units. Below is a unit I repaired. This seems to be a common problem with the ColecoVision and I thought I would offer as a service controller IC replacement. I will removed the defective IC and install a dual wipe socket and the IC for $20 plus return shipping. I have never seem a unit with both blown but, I will replace both if you wish $20 each. Nice thing about having a socket, is that if the IC fails in the future it can be replaced easily.I will also rebuild your power switch to like new condition for $20

IM me if your interested.

post-23318-126603911755_thumb.jpg

Hmm. Ax has a bunch of Colecovisions in various stares of disrepair. You can repair Colecovisions so they're better than new -- more reliable, and better video output with your upgrade. Hmmm. :ponder:

Anyway, I'd buy one. =)

This is thread for helping people that need a controller IC replaced, that either don't have the soldering skills to do it themselves, or don't want to wish to attempt it.

The IC and the socket are very cheap and can be found on Ebay and from online electronics retailers.

In fact if anyone here wants to do it themselves here is a link to for the IC

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&pa=47870&productId=47870&cid=PDF

and here is a link to the socket

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&productId=112248&catalogId=10001&freeText=20pin+dual+wipe+socket&app.products.maxperpage=15&storeId=10001&search_type=jamecoall&ddkey=http:StoreCatalogDrillDownView

These are the exact items I ordered. You may wish to order 4 chips and 2 sockets. You could then replace both chips on the board with sockets and new chips and have 2 extra in case you have one blow in the future.

When I began my search for a working ColecoVision a little over a year ago after discovering that a unit I had packed away in a climate controller storage unit was dead.

I spent hundreds of dollars buying junk units off of Ebay, craigslist and flea markets. I even had sellers promise me that it was a working unit, and they where junk. I was so frustrated about how it seemed that a working unit was nearly impossible to find that I almost gave up. After reading the forums and actually meeting a couple really nice guys here in my area, I decided that I wanted to learn as much about the ColecoVision unit as I possibly could. I love this system, and have had one since I was a child. I want to save people the frustration that I encountered. The fan base for the ColecoVision is small and I hate the thought of a Colecovision ending up in a landfill and a person giving up on having a working unit and enjoying it as much as I do.

I'm not sure if this is the same problem, but I figured I'd ask anyway...

My CV doesn't respond to the trigger/action buttons to any controller plugged into the player 1 port. Tested with multiple controllers, cleaned carts, blah blah. When DK starts at level 1, Mario automatically jumps -- but there's no ability for the player to jump after that.

Any suggestions?

I'm not sure if this is the same problem, but I figured I'd ask anyway...

My CV doesn't respond to the trigger/action buttons to any controller plugged into the player 1 port. Tested with multiple controllers, cleaned carts, blah blah. When DK starts at level 1, Mario automatically jumps -- but there's no ability for the player to jump after that.

Any suggestions?

That is a typical example of a blown controller IC.

I posted links above to get a replacement.

Or if you wish to send it to me I will install a socket and new IC for $20 plus the cost of return shipping.

Send me an IM if you want me to repair it for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I might have to take you up on that.

Just curious, did you get your ColecoVision working?

Thanks for asking... yeah, it's working now. It was a problem with the player one controller port. I suspect that some point in the future I may have to take you up on the IC replacement, so I'm keeping this thread bookmarked ;)

A game shop i go to has and i'm not kidding,a stack of over 20 CV'S waiting to be repaired.The IC chip has NO socket?..it makes sense,gotta remember ColecoVisions were made cheap.Good to know for the future if i ever get a blown IC,i'll make sure there's a socket installed!!

• 4 weeks later...

Are you still offering this service? I just purchased a CV that pulls to the right. This sounds like the problem.

Soldering is beyond my pay grade.

Controller IC replacement still available.

Also offering ColecoVision repair, controller refurbishing with ball knobs and my single jack A/V composite Mod. If there is anything I can do for you and your ColecoVision please send me an IM.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I should have taken you up on your services when I lived in Cleveland. I suspect shipping from Phoenix is going to be more expensive than it would have been from the other side of the State.
The Atarimax 128-in-1 cart says I've got bad video ram on both of my units.

• 9 months later...