IGNORED

The $13,105 NES auction yesterday

wood_jl

This takes the title of "most ridiculous gaming auction" for me.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3703303274001?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=370330327400&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] $13,105

Yahoo Gaming article about it here:

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/old-nintendo-system-sells-for-13-105/1389101

Just posting this so you watchers can see it before it goes off the news radar - which ain't long these days.

Just think of the bragging rights the new owner has - if he can find someone who cares!

Free shipping would have been a plus.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3703303274001?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=370330327400&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] $13,105

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/old-nintendo-system-sells-for-13-105/1389101

Just posting this so you watchers can see it before it goes off the news radar - which ain't long these days.

Just think of the bragging rights the new owner has - if he can find someone who cares!

I guess the fact the game 'Stadium Events' CIB is thought to be 1 of 10 to exist is something to put it up there in that price range. But even so 1 of 10 - I'm sure there has never been an Atari game 1 of 10 that has come close to that price??!!

I guess the fact the game 'Stadium Events' CIB is thought to be 1 of 10 to exist is something to put it up there in that price range. But even so 1 of 10 - I'm sure there has never been an Atari game 1 of 10 that has come close to that price??!!

I sometimes feel that Atari 2600 collectors are like crabs in a bucket. It seems like that most collectors here would rather tear down a game like Pepsi Invaders, and Air Raid then to cherish what they are instead. We always focus on the negative with the rare games in this hobby, and I think it is why video game prices have remained stagnate. I am sure that one of the crabs in the bucket will rip into my post, but whatever.

• Like 2

I sometimes feel that Atari 2600 collectors are like crabs in a bucket. It seems like that most collectors here would rather tear down a game like Pepsi Invaders, and Air Raid then to cherish what they are instead. We always focus on the negative with the rare games in this hobby, and I think it is why video game prices have remained stagnate. I am sure that one of the crabs in the bucket will rip into my post, but whatever.

Some crabs make good dip. Some crabs eat dead things. Some crabs infest genitalia.

What kind of crab are you?

:evil:

Crabby AX

This game will eventually drop in price. There are more out there, just like this recent one on Yahoo that some lady had sitting in her closet for ages. Games that are licensed by Nintendo had minimum production runs, thats why none of the licensed NES games are really crazy rare (well except Stadium events - lol) Yes true when Nintendo bought the rights to this game I am sure they destroyed/recycled what ever stock was on hand but this game was sold at Woolworths, a retail store. I find it impossible that only 10 CIB copies are left in exsistance. Give it time on this one, they will find a few cases of them for certain, maybe not Motrodeo/Ikari Warriors kind of stock but I would bet money more will be found.

Please do not take this as a Crab Attack since it is not....

I wouldn't really compare Air Raid and Pepsi Invaders to a CIB Stadium Events, too many differences. I would compare Stadium Events to a CIB Music Machine though, which there was quite a price difference in recent Ebay auctions, but I don't think that has anything to do with people "tearing the game down" I think it's more like Stadium Events is probably the LAST game that most serious NES collectors need CIB, with the Atari on the other hand it is well, I'll just say it, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get an entire collection CIB and if you try there are 20 or so games that will cost you several thousands and thousands of dollars. This is very bad news for obsessive people who want to "have them all" and that alone scares many people (myself included) away from collecting CIB Atari 2600 games and thus reduces the price of many super rarities since a smaller number of people are chasing them.

It was sold at more places that Woolworth's, that just happens to be the only place I ever saw it when I lived in Miami.

Production numbers were very low because obviously you needed the Family Fun FItness to use it, so I doubt more than 1,000 of these were produced which would make the box very very rare. There are at least 7 in known collectors' hands with a box, and there are some pretty rare games that people need boxes for the NES but on the Atari there are some really stupid ones...Nintendo just has way more collectors and people around than Atari does, so this will have generous amounts of hype.

*Shrug* I sold one for more than this a few weeks ago and got to keep the cart....

Pardon?

I sold an NTSC box and manual for Stadium Events a little while ago for more than this and I still own the cart.

That's amazing. Epay or private transaction?

It was sold at more places that Woolworth's, that just happens to be the only place I ever saw it when I lived in Miami.

Production numbers were very low because obviously you needed the Family Fun FItness to use it, so I doubt more than 1,000 of these were produced which would make the box very very rare. There are at least 7 in known collectors' hands with a box, and there are some pretty rare games that people need boxes for the NES but on the Atari there are some really stupid ones...Nintendo just has way more collectors and people around than Atari does, so this will have generous amounts of hype.

Must be generational, I wouldnt pay any more than $50 for anything nintendo, unless I could find some silly gen x er to pay prices of that sort.

PAL one is nowhere near as rare. My transaction was private.

Atarian: If you saw an NES game that was worth $1000 and you bought it for $50 I am sure you would make an exception.

Let's be honest though, "lot of money for a piece of cardboard" is just what everyone says to try and justify the reality of the situation because you can say that about ANYTHING. To me when people buy a new car and it goes down in value, that is a lot of money to me. Same goes for people buying baseball cards. Yell about cardboard to those guys paying even more money for those. Video games are still in their infancy and Nintendo is king when it comes to value on overall games and people that play generation to generation.

I've been around since the AStrocade days. Been going to arcades since 1980. I had many chance to get an Atari system and always bypassed it because it was not like the arcade. Nothing on anything of the Atari systems from that time period were remotely close. When the NES came out after playing VS Super Mario Bros and others in the arcade, it was night and day and the first system I really thought was going to be special. I had an Astrocade but a lot of games were 2 player required...I loved that system, though =) The 2600 just never grew on me as much but I respect it a LOT because of what came after it and how important the system was. I ended up collecting almost all the US released games for it anyway, lol...Value wise Nintendo is still going to be king for quite some time...

Edited by DreamTR
  • Like 2

I ended up collecting almost all the US released games for it anyway,

:o

Dino, that should be no surprise, I have complete in box collections of at least 25 systems, lol....I think the only stuff I don't have are things like Video Life (repro CIB) Malagai (repro CIB) and the Bomb Games (I think I am missing 2) and Gauntlet (repro CIB) I know i am missing a Lochjaw and Music Machine box but I've got all the other crazy crap, I just don't have it in me to spend the money on those but I do feel stupid for not getting the boxed Malagai up on eBay a few weeks ago, ouch.

Edited by DreamTR

Forget ax's question! Answer mine first! What kind of job do you have that pays nine billion dollars a year and can I get that job too? :D

I'm thinking Wonder is going to have some serious competition :cool:

I hate it when people assume that someone who collected all this stuff has money. I collected most of the hard to find items back in the day. I never had a lot of money. I own two arcades now just from buying/selling video games for the past 10 years and knowing what to put my money in game wise. So not sure why everyone always assumes people have great jobs and tons of money, LOL. I have definitely over 16,000 games right now (different ones, not 29128198281 multiples of games) and I think 170 arcade machines and pinballs...

Ax, I'm 34..

Edited by DreamTR

Wow! Then you are just lucky & hard-working! Can I have some of your genetics then? :D I don't mean any offense, in fact quite the opposite -- I am very impressed with a collection that large and the fact that you worked hard to get it is even more impressive to me! Congrats!

When you say "I own two arcades" do you mean actual functioning business arcades? That's even cooler then! Or just enough games to fill them?

Either way can I come to your house? Mostly we just assume that because of the prices of things. At least around here you'd have to be a millionaire to get some of the harder stuff because people charge through the roof! I think I have spent a very considerable amount and I have only put maybe $2,000 into my collection so far....

I ended up collecting almost all the US released games for it anyway,

:o

Dino, that should be no surprise, I have complete in box collections of at least 25 systems, lol....I think the only stuff I don't have are things like Video Life (repro CIB) Malagai (repro CIB) and the Bomb Games (I think I am missing 2) and Gauntlet (repro CIB) I know i am missing a Lochjaw and Music Machine box but I've got all the other crazy crap, I just don't have it in me to spend the money on those but I do feel stupid for not getting the boxed Malagai up on eBay a few weeks ago, ouch.

I was actually more suprised by the fact that Atari 2600 is not the No.1 system that you collect for. I had a pretty good idea of what you have for the system, given your extremely small want list and that's why I assumed you were primarliy an Atari 2600 collector.

Dino, nah, I am pretty much known as Mr. Nintendo...the Atari stuff is just in addition. I am more of a librarian type person, so those games were necessities. 5200 and 7800 completed awhile ago, but the 2600 just has weird uncertainties..I have stuff like Cubicolor and Boxed Tooth Protectors but to me shipping boxes don't mean as much as a box for Lochjaw =P