IGNORED

Game Over Atari 2600 collecting will never be more popular than the NES

homerwannabee

I am waving the white flag. When I started I never tought I would see the day I would say these words in my lifetime, but I am. When I started to really pay attention to Atari 2600 games, and prices around 7 year ago the Atari 2600 was the king of the collecting heap. About 4 years ago things started to change dramatically and the NES became bigger than Atari 2600 in terms of collecting. At the time I thought there was a chance that one day the Atari 2600 would once rise as the most collectible video game, but all that has been dashed. The straw the broke the camels back for me was the complete in box Stadium Events going for $13 grand just recently. This being touted as super rare because there are only 10 boxed games known to exist. That is when I knew the game was over. Sure I still believe that the Atari 2600 will be worth more some day, but it will never be on the scale as the N.E.S. For instance the finest examples of Music Machine boxed went for $5,600, and $5,200 respectively. These being the most expensive games publicly auctioned to date. Personally I don't think there is a single Atari 2600 game out there worth more than $7,500. Maybe Marco's Gauntlet could get that much money, and maybe the Birthday Mania maybe able to get that sort of money, but that is about it.

So for me I am waving the white flag. NES is number one, and it is the king of the mountain, and it will always be the king of the mountain. GAME OVER

• Like 2

I am waving the white flag. When I started I never tought I would see the day I would say these words in my lifetime, but I am. When I started to really pay attention to Atari 2600 games, and prices around 7 year ago the Atari 2600 was the king of the collecting heap. About 4 years ago things started to change dramatically and the NES became bigger than Atari 2600 in terms of collecting. At the time I thought there was a chance that one day the Atari 2600 would once rise as the most collectible video game, but all that has been dashed. The straw the broke the camels back for me was the complete in box Stadium Events going for $13 grand just recently. This being touted as super rare because there are only 10 boxed games known to exist. That is when I knew the game was over. Sure I still believe that the Atari 2600 will be worth more some day, but it will never be on the scale as the N.E.S. For instance the finest examples of Music Machine boxed went for $5,600, and $5,200 respectively. These being the most expensive games publicly auctioned to date. Personally I don't think there is a single Atari 2600 game out there worth more than $7,500. Maybe Marco's Gauntlet could get that much money, and maybe the Birthday Mania maybe able to get that sort of money, but that is about it.

So for me I am waving the white flag. NES has one it is are the king of the mountain, and it will always be the king of the mountain. GAME OVER

EDIT:

So? Does it really matter that some NES rares sell for more than 2600 rares? They all still collect and play just the same no matter the price.

• Like 7

So for me I am waving the white flag. NES has one it is are the king of the mountain, and it will always be the king of the mountain. GAME OVER

So? Who gives a shit?

I suppose I do, hence why I posted this. :sad:

• Like 1

I think there are more Music Machines out there then boxed Stadium Events hence its more rare and whats to say some day that some thing won't pass the NES in terms of collecting and worth.

Personally i don't collect i play my games and trade/sale those i don't like or play much...To me as much as i enjoy/love video games it is a very "disposable medium" to me.

I have no problem spending money when i have it on higher priced games but not for some of these insane prices for rare games make me a "repo" of it please.

The most pricey game i own is 1941 Counterstrike for the import only Supergrafx system but i got that game on a trade i made so no cash given/spent so give me the joy of the trade or find the games dirt cheap....Just my two cents folks.

Edited by jboypacman
  • Like 1

Don't these things go in cycles, i think the 2600 market is 'correcting itself' in regards to prices paid for certain games or hardware, sooner or later the nes will go though the same thing, it's like any market in that the market reaches a peak in prices paid, people start looking elsewhere for the next big thing, the effect of that is that the market these people left starts to depreciate in value for prices paid for particular games or hardware hence 'correcting itself', sooner or later the market that the people went to (the next best thing) like the nes will experience the same scenario and they will leave that market and come back to the 2600 or other atari or non atari markets

The other problem is that people keep relying on ebay prices as a guide to selling their wares, once that market takes a hit, everyone else in that market takes a hit...if there was a half decent competitor to ebay or if atariagers stopped using ebay to selling their wares and sold them only on atariage or atari related w/s we'd have a better control of the 2600 market

It's called capitalism....you've gotta love it

So? Who gives a shit?

Is that really necessary? Fall out of bed this morning? You chose to read his post, nobody forced you. If you don't give a shit just go read a different post or don't respond. He didn't post anything offensive or anything that warrants such a response............

• Like 9

So for me I am waving the white flag. NES is number one, and it is the king of the mountain, and it will always be the king of the mountain. GAME OVER

But isn't collecting much more then just counting the most expensive games?

IMO the VCS has a lot more to offer for video game cart collectors then the NES.

Especially when you enter the Dark Side (PAL territory).

Lots of funky stuff out there:

http://www.atarimania.com/pgegallerysoft.awp?system=2&type=G&format=1&scan=1&step=200

8)

• Like 2

By the time the NES came around, weren't there a lot more people into video games? Is that true? Well, if so, that means there are a lot more people today who are getting the nostalgic collecting bug for the system, therefore making more competition for the rarest games (or any games for that matter). I think that has at least something to do with it.

In any case, the reason the higher priced NES games don't bother me is because to me, it's insane to spend $13,000 on a cart. If you've got tons of discretionary income, go for it, but to me, either way, that's just nuts. It's just as nuts to me to spend $5k on a 2600 game. So, whatever. It's not a competition, it's not a lack of respect, it's just people throwing some "fun" money around.

• Like 1

Collectible values are based on demand, which fluctuates wildly over time. Remember it only takes a few people with lots of money to have an effect on the price of extremely rare games. A "$13,000 cart" exists only because there are more people who want that cart in their hot little hands than there are carts. That can change quickly and dramatically as those collectors lose interest (or move on). I sure wouldn't compare Atari collecting to Nintendo collecting based on the price of one rare game in an auction. I don't think I would even do the comparison. Get what you want and enjoy what you have, forget the "value".

• Like 2

So? Who gives a shit?

Is that really necessary? Fall out of bed this morning? You chose to read his post, nobody forced you. If you don't give a shit just go read a different post or don't respond. He didn't post anything offensive or anything that warrants such a response............

Yes it was necessary. Nintendo games selling for more than Atari games doesn't stop them from being collectable nor does it make the cartridges mystically stop working in our 2600 machines. I'd go on more about it but this is enough for now.

IMO the VCS has a lot more to offer for video game cart collectors then the NES.

You opinion on this subject doesn't count cause you don't collect video games.

• Like 1

So? Who gives a shit?

I would guess Mr. Galaxian does, as he started this thread.

Edited by ericwierson
  • Like 1

I think it's fair to say that while these things do go in cycles, once it's all dust, the A2600 will not have had the highest peak in popularity when compared to the NES. As previously mentioned, the NES expanded the market so much that far more people played it than did the 2600, the first time around. Plus the NES games are a bit more like the ones of today. That is, many of them have endings, they involve moving around large worlds, etc. Most 2600 games are just single-screen and have no formal ending (with some notable exceptions).

If I may make an analogy, VCS games are like films from the silent era, whereas NES games are like black-and-white talkies. There will always be a core of people who like the earliest, most primitive-seeming stuff and who celebrate the masters and masterpieces of the era, but far more will like the slightly later but far less primitive stuff. And the vast majority of people will look upon both as curiosities, not really worthy of sustained interest or comment.

• Like 2

I think it's fair to say that while these things do go in cycles, once it's all dust, the A2600 will not have had the highest peak in popularity when compared to the NES. As previously mentioned, the NES expanded the market so much that far more people played it than did the 2600, the first time around. Plus the NES games are a bit more like the ones of today. That is, many of them have endings, they involve moving around large worlds, etc. Most 2600 games are just single-screen and have no formal ending (with some notable exceptions).

If I may make an analogy, VCS games are like films from the silent era, whereas NES games are like black-and-white talkies. There will always be a core of people who like the earliest, most primitive-seeming stuff and who celebrate the masters and masterpieces of the era, but far more will like the slightly later but far less primitive stuff. And the vast majority of people will look upon both as curiosities, not really worthy of sustained interest or comment.

While I concede the NES had many many more systems sold during it's lifetime, I don't quite go with the silent era analogy. I personally think high score games are actually better than games with endings. There is something to be said about games built around the concept of constantly improving yourself, and testing your abilities, and stretching yourself to a level you never thought you could. While I love some games that have endings like Pitfall II, it loses it's flavor once beaten. Heck I have beaten the game with a perfect score, where is the room for improvement? To me the Atari 2600 represents the golden era when video games where thought of as a sport instead of a just a story. Galaxian is the perfect example. I have totally dominated that game, but I have a sense of fondness for it still because I know I personally have room for improvement. I still can challenge myself with this game, even though I probably know the ins, and outs of this game better than probably any man alive.

While I concede the NES had many many more systems sold during it's lifetime, I don't quite go with the silent era analogy. I personally think high score games are actually better than games with endings. There is something to be said about games built around the concept of constantly improving yourself, and testing your abilities, and stretching yourself to a level you never thought you could. While I love some games that have endings like Pitfall II, it loses it's flavor once beaten. Heck I have beaten the game with a perfect score, where is the room for improvement? To me the Atari 2600 represents the golden era when video games where thought of as a sport instead of a just a story. Galaxian is the perfect example. I have totally dominated that game, but I have a sense of fondness for it still because I know I personally have room for improvement. I still can challenge myself with this game, even though I probably know the ins, and outs of this game better than probably any man alive.

I agree with you, and like those types of high score games better myself. However, I believe the point is that the NES is the era where games started to morph into what most games are today... so as time goes on, more people can more closely identify with them, since it's a closer relation to what they are now familiar with.

• Like 2

So? Who gives a shit?

That's just how he is, just ignore it.

As for the NES, it was very popular when new with many millions more units sold than the 2600. It was destined to someday be a more significant force in this hobby out of pure statistics. And many of that generation are now reaching the point if their lives where things are finally in place and they've established themselves and have a significant amount of disposable income to use to go after something like a complete NES collection.

Also, the 2600 generation is aging. Many of those people that were a teen in the late 70's and starting doing this 10 years ago or more have pretty much reached a point where they can conclude their collections of 2600 titles besides the occasional homebrew release and wishing they had the means to go after the ultra rare items. I don't see it ever changing since there aren't enough people that didn't grow up with this console like we did that will ever become interested in it.

This stuff never rebounds. It's no different than things like interest in classic movies and television. No one even knows who Deanna Durbin was today, despite being one of the most popular woman stars in Hollywood in the 30s and 40s. Today, most of her films aren't even on DVD here in the States. Atari 2600 collecting will be no different. There was a boost due to demographics and the internet in previous years, but it was destined to be in a decline eventually.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

So? Who gives a shit?

That's just how he is, just ignore it.

As for the NES, it was very popular when new with many millions more units sold than the 2600. It was destined to someday be a more significant force in this hobby out of pure statistics. And many of that generation are now reaching the point if their lives where things are finally in place and they've established themselves and have a significant amount of disposable income to use to go after something like a complete NES collection.

Also, the 2600 generation is aging. Many of those people that were a teen in the late 70's and starting doing this 10 years ago or more have pretty much reached a point where they can conclude their collections of 2600 titles besides the occasional homebrew release and wishing they had the means to go after the ultra rare items. I don't see it ever changing since there aren't enough people that didn't grow up with this console like we did that will ever become interested in it.

This stuff never rebounds. It's no different than things like interest in classic movies and television. No one even knows who Deanna Durbin was today, despite being one of the most popular woman stars in Hollywood in the 30s and 40s. Today, most of her films aren't even on DVD here in the States. Atari 2600 collecting will be no different. There was a boost due to demographics and the internet in previous years, but it was destined to be in a decline eventually.

Some of what you wrote is kind of sad, but I agree with you. I am definitely seeing a shift in interest from the 2600 to the NES and probably the SNES in 5 years or so. Oh well, more 2600 stuff for me.

• Like 1

So? Who gives a shit?

Agreed, it was not necessary at all:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

"When creating new topics or responding to an existing thread, please try to be positive, constructive, polite, and on topic."

If you don't "give a shit" then stay out of the thread, simple as that.

..Al

• Like 8

I think it has to do more with the age of the collectors that influince the market. When the Atari 2600 was at it's peak it was when the people that grew up with Atari were at an age where they wanted to re live their youth and were at a position that they could afford things like collecting games. Now that the Nintendo age kids such as myself are into their 20's - 30's they are looking back on their youth and wanting to re live their past. We now are more financialy stable and are able to collect the games from our past. Of course for me I still prefer collecting Atari games over NES games so it's all fine and dandy for me if the market drops. Plus as mentioned before, video games grew more popular after the NES came out. That is just my opinion.

These things generally fluctuate, I see it in toy collecting/selling all the time. Depends on a lot of things, but I don't really consider eBay a generally good measure for market value. All it takes is two of the right kind of bidder to turn a piece of shite five dollar game into something more. If the NES seems more popular now, it's just likely due to such reasons, or also the fact that many people who grew up in the NES era are now 'coming of age' and getting a little nostalgic. Since a number of them, presumably, have more income now, they tend to start jumping into this stuff and become one of the many 'flash in the pan' collectors who amass a fortune of games and then realize they don't even play them and saturate the market with stupidity. Happens all the time.

This game, however, is one I still struggle to understand. Mangia for example. Hey, I got an NTSC version, got lucky, a little bit of a collecting stroke of luck for me even though it was an eBay buy. Thing is, it's its own unique little game (put aside the fact that I actually enjoy playing it). Stadium Events, however, is just a piece of crap graphical hack when it comes down to it. Yes, it was the original version, but that's it. Big deal. I just don't understand why people want to dump thousands on a game that's the same damn thing as World Class Track Meet. If you happen to find it like that lady did who just sold it for thousands, awesome, good for you. But if you're going to be the loser who is dumping those thousands for what is nothing more than a box, manual, label, and title screen variant, I have no shame in saying you're a total moron. It's just not worth it. There's no way to know with this sort of thing if it's even going to be worth anything come thirty years. We can say all we want, but we know these things go up and down all the time. If there was ever any sort of huge market crash, you can kiss anything this might be worth out the door and enjoy the different sticker. What a waste.

And let's face it, though it hasn't happened yet, someone at some point is going to figure out how to fake these things. The manual, not so much, but the box would be damn easy to do if you had the right materials. Heck, whenever sealed NES collecting started to go through the roof, there was a huge debacle where a well-known collector started fake-sealing his games and selling them for huge amounts. Someone then found a way, supposedly, to tell if a seal is fake or not. You can't fake an antique, hand-made watch or an old comic book very well, but a piece of cardboard that's only about two decades old is nothing for someone who really wants to do it. For 13K, I can see this slowly getting out of hand. Anyone remember the whole reproduction NES cart prototype auctions that hit eBay a few years ago. People were paying hundreds for games they could have had made for like $45.

Edited by Stan
  • Like 1

Agreed, it was not necessary at all

..Al

I edited my post to make my feelings on the topic clearer and worded the edit in a more positive manor to avoid any further misunderstanding of what I ment. All I was trying to say is prices of video games shouldn't be top priority when looking at having fun with video game collecting. The games still all play the same as they ever did be it at the original retail price or apricated\depreciated resale price.

• Like 2