IGNORED

Game Over Atari 2600 collecting will never be more popular than the NES

homerwannabee

I am waving the white flag. When I started I never tought I would see the day I would say these words in my lifetime, but I am. When I started to really pay attention to Atari 2600 games, and prices around 7 year ago the Atari 2600 was the king of the collecting heap. About 4 years ago things started to change dramatically and the NES became bigger than Atari 2600 in terms of collecting. At the time I thought there was a chance that one day the Atari 2600 would once rise as the most collectible video game, but all that has been dashed. The straw the broke the camels back for me was the complete in box Stadium Events going for $13 grand just recently. This being touted as super rare because there are only 10 boxed games known to exist. That is when I knew the game was over. Sure I still believe that the Atari 2600 will be worth more some day, but it will never be on the scale as the N.E.S. For instance the finest examples of Music Machine boxed went for $5,600, and $5,200 respectively. These being the most expensive games publicly auctioned to date. Personally I don't think there is a single Atari 2600 game out there worth more than $7,500. Maybe Marco's Gauntlet could get that much money, and maybe the Birthday Mania maybe able to get that sort of money, but that is about it.

So for me I am waving the white flag. NES is number one, and it is the king of the mountain, and it will always be the king of the mountain. GAME OVER

Try finding a boxed Exus Video Jogger/Reflex with jogging mat for under $15.000.

Edited by high voltage

I don't get a point of this topic... What is it saying... some moron crying over what... get a life first before you start posting this nonsence over here

Wow, in this post you act like I just began posting here. What is up with that? The phrase "get a life first before you start posting this nonsense over here." Makes it sound like you are the long time board member, and I am newer poster who rarely posts here. Strangely I am actually more insulted by this comment, than the moron statement.

Quite a few jerks on this site. I humbly offer my opinion and hope not to be attacked by internet warriors.

I think the reason you are seeing the NES take the lead in collecting is because more kids played it and are now entering a time in their careers where they can afford to aquire and play all of the games they couldn't get when they were kids. In 5 years or so, you will have a new generation of collectors that remember only the SNES. These kids are going to collect SNES and its predecessor the NES.

I was born in 76 and my first gaming memories are sitting on the floor with the 2600 playing air sea battle and pacman with my sister, but most of my childhood gaming memories are of the NES. Oddly, as fun as the system was, I am more drawn to collect Atari because it is the original home console. In the end, that is what will make it the most collected IMO.

• Like 1

Quite a few jerks on this site. I humbly offer my opinion and hope not to be attacked by internet warriors.

I think the reason you are seeing the NES take the lead in collecting is because more kids played it and are now entering a time in their careers where they can afford to aquire and play all of the games they couldn't get when they were kids. In 5 years or so, you will have a new generation of collectors that remember only the SNES. These kids are going to collect SNES and its predecessor the NES.

I was born in 76 and my first gaming memories are sitting on the floor with the 2600 playing air sea battle and pacman with my sister, but most of my childhood gaming memories are of the NES. Oddly, as fun as the system was, I am more drawn to collect Atari because it is the original home console. In the end, that is what will make it the most collected IMO.

Actually, there are only a few jerks, then there are the occasional hit-and-run ones like the last one up there. Those new people just aren't used to this ritual we have here at least once a month, going through this same thing, this exact same conversation, due to a different auction sale or observation.

I agree with what you've said about the different generations, and it's pretty much what several others have said as well, and it has to be a huge part of the truth here. But the 2600 wasn't the original home console. It was the first one that became truly popular, however, which is why its fame is cemented in video gaming history. Will it become the "most collected" in the end? That's anyone's guess, only time will tell.

• Like 1

shawn's first reply was also just some kind of ritual ... get over it :P :D

honestly, it doesn't make sense to relate the rarity and popularity of a console to ebay auctions ... there is more auctions listed than ever before, so this should mean it became more popular than ever before (?) ... is it because of the NES that some prices go down or because a lot of the hardcore collectors already have those rare items they have been hunting for a while and there is less bidfights? is it because of the NES that quadrun prices went down or simply because tons of them surfaced?

the VCS wasn't the first cartridge based console (the Fairchild was) but is still THE milestone and this will never ever change again ... there will always be atari collectors ... it had the best design of all consoles (look at a NES if you have digestion problems :P ) ... it had exceptional 3rd party item like the joyboard, the MB controllers, Gameline modem (from CVC that became AOL) or the mindlink prototype .... this list could be is endless ... i don't think anything influenced the videogame market more that the VCS

no game over ... forget it!

IMO the VCS has a lot more to offer for video game cart collectors then the NES.

You opinion on this subject doesn't count cause you don't collect video games.

It's a good thing we don't live in your democracy, Shawn.

8)

It's not a democracy, it's a totalitarian movement for the greater good.

8)

Hey Homer... how about we list a game for $15K... you use buy it now, and then just pay the fees. That will restore the honor to 2600 collectors :evil:

:rolling:

AX

How much would that be in fees? I have a "huge lot"(30 games) box of "super rare"(R1-R4)2600 games I don't need anymore(harmony cart) that could be worth $200-$300 if they were valued like NES games.

Edited by Kenny_McCormic

Hey Homer... how about we list a game for $15K... you use buy it now, and then just pay the fees. That will restore the honor to 2600 collectors :evil:

AX

How much would that be in fees? I have a "huge lot"(30 games) box of "super rare"(R1-R4)2600 games I don't need anymore(harmony cart) that could be worth $200-$300 if they were valued like NES games.

Good luck with that. Try posting them up... most people will offer you $1-$4 each for the vast majority of NES games, if you're lucky. Many will even try to get them for 50 cents each.

I love debates like this. Collecting is about doing what YOU love. If you want to buy boxed/sealed stuff and never play it, it's great because YOU love doing it. If you want to collect Atari instead of NES, that's great because YOU love it. If you want to collect both or even more stuff, that's even better. It's all because YOU love it. Someone with $13,000 must have a ton of money. That's not really for the average collector. I've paid over $50 for a game only 2 times. The sealed Kid Vid I have was $75 and I went crazy overboard paying $300 for a sealed Berenstain Bears. I did pay over $50 for some protos, but that doesn't count towards a regular game.

I don't think I've paid more than $7 for any NES game ever. I now have 500 different carts for the system. And I'm still finding lots of them cheap. I personally don't think the NES has as many collectors as the 2600. Or at least they aren't as open and vocal about it.

Gotta run. Valentine's dinner with the wife.

Phil

AX

Good luck with that. Try posting them up... most people will offer you $1-$4 each for the vast majority of NES games, if you're lucky. Many will even try to get them for 50 cents each.

I meant if I ebayed them. Check out popular NES games on ebay sometime, you can easily spend $8+shipping on a copy of SMB 3.

Edited by Kenny_McCormic

The Atari collecting hobby doesnt have nearly enough strength due to a lack of presence among the wide scope of the interwebz. The Atari doesn't have people making tributes, fan videos, and other things for it like the NES does. People make movies about the NES, web documentaries, reviews, and even raps about them. Hell, I personally think a large driving force behind the recent NES boom has been the Angry Video Game Nerd. He has introduced the NES to a younger audience, and he has made a whole shit ton of preteens buy about 30 NES games and make their own "angry" reviews. What does the Atari have? CGRHD and a small amount of indie reviewers. That's it.

• Like 1

So, are we all going to meet back here in about a month for this same go 'round? :P

I'd go for it.... I'll charge admission :ponder: :P

me too .... for the greater good ... for the greater good ... :D

For some reason, whenever you do that, you remind me of the book 1984 :ponder:

Out of curiosity, what's the NES homebrew scene like?

I agree with Romhunter, A2600 collecting will always be far more interesting than NES collecting.

NES do not have hundreds of originals still floating around waiting to be found, nor do they have a boxed karate awaiting to be found, nor titles like Air Raid that are shrouded in mystique...

• Like 1