IGNORED

Game Over Atari 2600 collecting will never be more popular than the NES

homerwannabee

I think Atari has trumped the NES now, since Mr Tanman's Air Raid auction trumped the similar 'Stadium Events' auction on the nes by SOME CONSIDERABLE MARGIN

As buddybuddies would say 'ATARI RULEZ'

The sealed Stadium Events went for over $40,000. Air Raid was the only Atari sale that I know of that went for over $10,000. There have been several NES auctions that have been over that mark. NES collectors are crazy.

As I believe i mentioned previously, these things happen in cycles as more and more NES people start selling up their long forgotten NES collections those 'once rare' software titles won't be so rare as more are uncovered and as we all know, the more of those/these particular titles that are out there the value of each subsequently sold 'once rare' item will depreciate in value (probably to the same/similar level to that of the a2600 games)

Call it general economics but applied to videogames

Sealed collecting is awesome. It is a secondary thing for me though. It is just so expensive. I would rather have a complete collection of CIB carts than 1/4 collection of sealed carts. My dream collection would have one sealed copy and one complete copy of each game. I am only a few games away from completing my 7800 collection in this manner.

Problem with sealed 7800 is that you have no idea if the cart is NTSC or not.

There is the slit and pucker method, where you can look down the inside by the tag for a mere 1 inch opening. Sadly, due to Atari putting the game in front or backwackwards, you can't always tell if there is a "P" or not because 50% of the time you see the label side and not the black plastic side where the PAL sticker would be.

AX

Or you buy two from the same source and open one up.

and are now entering a time in their careers where they can afford to aquire and play all of the games they couldn't get when they were kids. In 5 years or so, you will have a new generation of collectors that remember only the SNES. These kids are going to collect SNES and its predecessor the NES.

I was born in 76 and my first gaming memories are sitting on the floor with the 2600 playing air sea battle and pacman with my sister, but most of my childhood gaming memories are of the NES. Oddly, as fun as the system was, I am more drawn to collect Atari because it is the original home console. In the end, that is what will make it the most collected IMO.

This is a good point. There is definitely what I call the 'Nostalgia Wave'. When people hit about 35 or 40 (sometimes earlier), they are reaching a point where they begin to look back to fond memories of simple pleasures and begin to collect the icons of that time. By 45 or 50 they are typically at a point where time and finances allow them to indulge their nostalgia even more actively. Later, unfortunately, the numbers of people collecting a given era decline as people shuffle off this mortal coil.

The next wave follows close behind as the next generation of people and consoles hit that nostalgic time.

I enjoy collecting all video games. My fond memories are of the Atari, but my sons grew up with the NES and SNES. I get to ride 3 waves!!

:thumbsup:

I think Atari has trumped the NES now, since Mr Tanman's Air Raid auction trumped the similar 'Stadium Events' auction on the nes by SOME CONSIDERABLE MARGIN

The sealed Stadium Events went for over $40,000. Air Raid was the only Atari sale that I know of that went for over $10,000. There have been several NES auctions that have been over that mark. NES collectors are crazy.

The sealed Staduim Events went for $12.000 (the buyer didn't have 40.000) in the end, but the boxed Air Raid did sell for $31.000

The sealed Staduim Events went for $12.000 (the buyer didn't have 40.000) in the end, but the boxed Air Raid did sell for $31.000

Source?

Source?

The buyer of Air Raid was a well known person here on AtariAge

Edited by high voltage

Source?

Pretty sure that wasn't the "source" he was questioning. :ponder:

• Like 1

Source?

Correct. We all know the Air Raid was legit. Where did the info on the $12,000 sale come from? I can't imagine that the seller would just settle for $12,000 after at least 2 people (probably more) outbid that amount.

Source?

Correct. We all know the Air Raid was legit. Where did the info on the $12,000 sale come from? I can't imagine that the seller would just settle for $12,000 after at least 2 people (probably more) outbid that amount.

Make yourself clear next time.

That info came from the seller himself

Source?

Sheesh, settle down. Anyone with half a brain knew exactly what I was talking about. To the public's knowledge the SE sold for $40k and the Air Raid sold for $31k. Obviously I only need a source for statement you made that goes against what is plastered everywhere on the internet. Add that to the fact that almost everyone on this site knows that the Air Raid sale was legit, and it would take a boob not to understand what I was saying.

Your bad attitude and general lack common sense aside, you still haven't given me a source. You have given me a claim with nothing to back it up. Something you heard 14th hand isn't exactly a rock solid source. Please post where "he" said that it went for $12k (by the way, "he" is a she as far as I can tell). The person has a NA account and I read all of their posts just now. None mention a final price. Did you guys get together for tea or something?

Edited by horseboy
  • Like 3

Source?

Sheesh, settle down. Anyone with half a brain knew exactly what I was talking about. To the public's knowledge the SE sold for $40k and the Air Raid sold for $31k. Obviously I only need a source for statement you made that goes against what is plastered everywhere on the internet. Add that to the fact that almost everyone on this site knows that the Air Raid sale was legit, and it would take a boob not to understand what I was saying.

Your bad attitude and general lack common sense aside, you still haven't given me a source. You have given me a claim with nothing to back it up. Something you heard 14th hand isn't exactly a rock solid source. Please post where "he" said that it went for $12k (by the way, "he" is a she as far as I can tell). The person has a NA account and I read all of their posts just now. None mention a final price. Did you guys get together for tea or something?

There have been multiple copies and multiple transactions for this title. I think he might have it confused with a 12k sale from a Craigslist buy in NY.

The 40k ebay sale was the one sold with the system and a couple common games right?

personally, i like to play what i collect, and when you compare atari 2600 games vs NES, its clear to see that NES games have more depth, oh yea and the fact the nearly ALL atari games can't be finished e.g have no REAL ending, who wants to play a game that has no ending? yea i can get a a high score but BFD. The graphics are bad the sounds are annoying.... for me, atari 2600 collecting is just like stamp collecting, for show ONLY, and my master system and NES will be for playing.

Just my 2 cents :)

personally, i like to play what i collect, and when you compare atari 2600 games vs NES, its clear to see that NES games have more depth, oh yea and the fact the nearly ALL atari games can't be finished e.g have no REAL ending, who wants to play a game that has no ending? yea i can get a a high score but BFD. The graphics are bad the sounds are annoying.... for me, atari 2600 collecting is just like stamp collecting, for show ONLY, and my master system and NES will be for playing.

Hmm, maybe you should try Pitfall, Pitfall II, Ghost Manor, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Adventure, and Superman. Well back then, getting a high score was a big deal. Because sometimes people want to test themselves, and see what they can do. And the Atari 2600 games will test you. Unlike modern day games which have been dumbed down for the lowest common denominator. Most Atari 2600 games are extremely challenging.

Also, try some of the older two player games at a party like Combat, Air Sea Battle, Outlaw Etc. I betcha that more people will have a blast playing those games then watching 4 people play the latest version of Halo endlessly. Yeah, the Atari 2600 is limited, but it is still a ton of fun if you can get over that graphics kick of yours.

P.S. for annoying sound it is surprising how many bands actually use the Atari 2600 to play sounds in their band.

Homer - all you've really proven is the NES crowd seems to have more weathly idiots who are willing to pay $13k for a game. Collectibility is be no way measured by the price someone will pay for 1 cartridge.

Look at Atlantis II - when it shows up once a year it gets big bucks - but now barely half since the 'wealthy' 2600 collectors who wanted this have already paid out.

Didnt the next 'Solar Fox' that went up go for 1/2 of the other?

Source?

There have been multiple copies and multiple transactions for this title. I think he might have it confused with a 12k sale from a Craigslist buy in NY.

The 40k ebay sale was the one sold with the system and a couple common games right?

No, that one was like $13k. The $40k sale was the sealed one all by itself.

Edit-- I think.

Edited by horseboy

Homer - all you've really proven is the NES crowd seems to have more weathly idiots who are willing to pay $13k for a game. Collectibility is be no way measured by the price someone will pay for 1 cartridge.

Look at Atlantis II - when it shows up once a year it gets big bucks - but now barely half since the 'wealthy' 2600 collectors who wanted this have already paid out.

Didnt the next 'Solar Fox' that went up go for 1/2 of the other?

Solar Fox?

BFD? I'm not sure if that's a convincing argument. In other words, I could switch it around like this: "You play the NES game to get to some silly animated ending. BFD!". I'm split down the middle, why not have games that do both? And enjoy both? I have to imagine that if I go buy some shiny new game for $50, spend a weekend playing it, google hints and cheat codes, and then "finish it", why do I need to replay the game again? I've now got a $50 paper weight. Have I challenged myself? Sure. It might take me a couple of times to 'beat the boss', but once I've put that into muscle memory ... boring! That's not to say I didn't enjoy the ride (because I do like those games), it's just that the ride is over.

Now, a high score game, that's a challenge! I've been playing Keystone Kapers recently, and haven't cracked 40,000 yet. Have I ever!? Or Pac-Man arcade, have I ever gotten past, let's say, the 3rd key? And heck, even on the levels I've done 1000 times, I can still go ahead and lose a life on the cherry screen (Pac-Man's 1st level). Sonofagun! Whereas with ending games, how often do you die on the first level, or sometimes even die with real consequences? Meaning, if I'm playing Super Mario Wii (which I absolutely love), the first thing I'm doing is going to the first level and getting like 15 guys. Heck, on my saved games, if I'm getting low, I just warp over to the first world and replenish another 50 guys.

Is this a "trophy generation"* thing? Where you don't really want to be challenged? Or challenged to the point that you may never make it (most people can finish ending games, but most will never reach certain levels on high score games)?

* trophy generation - the kids today. For example, if you play some organized event (e.g. baseball) -- EVERYONE gets a trophy. It's OK Little Johnny, that your team went 0-20, here's a trophy for trying!

Edited by 2600 For Life

I personally like beating my high scores and reaching milestones on the Atari, that's why I keep and play only certain games (avoiding stuff like Riddle of the Sphinx). The NES, sure, there is more depth to the games, but it depends what you're looking for. No one really plays most NES games for points, unless it's an earlier title that, surprise, plays more like a classic 2600 game. And could we avoid the massive quoting? God, that takes up so much damn space.

• Like 1

BFD? I'm not sure if that's a convincing argument. In other words, I could switch it around like this: "You play the NES game to get to some silly animated ending. BFD!". I'm split down the middle, why not have games that do both? And enjoy both? I have to imagine that if I go buy some shiny new game for $50, spend a weekend playing it, google hints and cheat codes, and then "finish it", why do I need to replay the game again? I've now got a $50 paper weight. Have I challenged myself? Sure. It might take me a couple of times to 'beat the boss', but once I've put that into muscle memory ... boring! That's not to say I didn't enjoy the ride (because I do like those games), it's just that the ride is over.

Now, a high score game, that's a challenge! I've been playing Keystone Kapers recently, and haven't cracked 40,000 yet. Have I ever!? Or Pac-Man arcade, have I ever gotten past, let's say, the 3rd key? And heck, even on the levels I've done 1000 times, I can still go ahead and lose a life on the cherry screen (Pac-Man's 1st level). Sonofagun! Whereas with ending games, how often do you die on the first level, or sometimes even die with real consequences? Meaning, if I'm playing Super Mario Wii (which I absolutely love), the first thing I'm doing is going to the first level and getting like 15 guys. Heck, on my saved games, if I'm getting low, I just warp over to the first world and replenish another 50 guys.

Is this a "trophy generation"* thing? Where you don't really want to be challenged? Or challenged to the point that you may never make it (most people can finish ending games, but most will never reach certain levels on high score games)?

* trophy generation - the kids today. For example, if you play some organized event (e.g. baseball) -- EVERYONE gets a trophy. It's OK Little Johnny, that your team went 0-20, here's a trophy for trying!

i had an atari when i was a kid sure, but things have progressed so far since then. I like a challenge just as much as anyone else, but in order for a challenge to be meaningful there must be something at the end of it, or why else would you under take the challenge? i don't want a trophy or anything, i just want something a little more than a number on a screen, don't get me wrong not ALL atari games are like this just most of them. Can you honestly sit there and tell me pole position's 2 levels is more than sufficient? that beserk does not get extremly reptitive after the first 4 screens? Yars revenge is really the same 2 screens over and over again, i could go on. Im not rubbishing the console completly it does have a place in history and some games that entertain me for a few hours, but considering all these factors i believe the NES to be much more fun to collect for, because it is not saturated with rushed horrible games. just my OPINION i don't mean to step on anyone's toes :D

Im not rubbishing the console completly it does have a place in history and some games that entertain me for a few hours, but considering all these factors i believe the NES to be much more fun to collect for, because it is not saturated with rushed horrible games. just my OPINION i don't mean to step on anyone's toes :D

Oh, I hear ya. And agree that there is a lot of crappy games for the Atari. If there's more than 50 Atari games I'm interested in playing, I'd be surprised.

I was just adding that High Score games do have merit. I like a mix of everything (I'm a huge NES fan, too - LOVE that system). And really, as I think about it, I'd wager to say that most systems have a lot of crap games. Don't make me go through my NES list! Or even the Wii, now. There was such a rush to put out Wii games, that you have to be very careful about what you buy (As you can see, I'm a classic gaming, arcade, and Nintendo fan - I don't mess with XBox's or PS3's, etc, maybe one day).

Edited by 2600 For Life

Going back to the post about endings, I love games that have a goal or ending, at least to each screen, with some exploring through in. Donkey Kong, Miner 2049er, Dragon stomper, Escape from the mindmaster, raiders (YES Adventure, haunted house, superman)... Stuff like that. There is a lot of good fun choices for the Atari that fit that type of gameplay. The NES stuff is( or at least can/should be) much more involved, much better looking, better sounding, more control options, all in all superior EQUIPMENT, that doesn't mean the games for it MUST be more fun, that is up to the design of the game, and the desire of the player.

I just don't get the warm fuzzy feeling when I see a NES cart. I rarely even look at them in thrift stores or flea markets. But if I see a 2600 cart, I ALWAYS have to go see which it is.

I like a challenge just as much as anyone else, but in order for a challenge to be meaningful there must be something at the end of it, or why else would you under take the challenge? i don't want a trophy or anything, i just want something a little more than a number on a screen, don't get me wrong not ALL atari games are like this just most of them. Can you honestly sit there and tell me pole position's 2 levels is more than sufficient? that beserk does not get extremly reptitive after the first 4 screens? Yars revenge is really the same 2 screens over and over again, i could go on.

Well, not ALL Atari games, but many of them get significantly harder as you progress. Try getting to 10K in Kaboom! Beany Bopper (yes I like it), gets blistering at upper levels and damn hard. Bezerk gets progressively more insane as you keep playing it too. Most of these "points" games are built like that. The challenge is how skillful of a player you are. Dragon Warrior IV, sure, good game, but it doesn't necessarily take skill at all, in fact it doesn't really take anything but time. Depth it has, but it's a different type of game. Point games are for showing off your skill, it's like target shooting or something. You might not enjoy shooting at the same target over and over again or the same clay pigeon, but if you're into that kind of thing you know what it's like to compete or beat your personal scores or whatever. Plus, Atari playing, since it relies in many games more on reflex and skill, helps out with your hand coordination and such if you want to look at it that way. NES and Atari are totally different in their approach to games. I don't think you can really say one is better than the other unless you compare ports or similar types of titles (like Ghost Lion to Dragonstomper).

Edited by Stan