IGNORED

Atari Clone

starmaster

Anybody come accross this clone before/ There's no name on the box or system and no titles when it's powered up. I feel it's arabic in origin. It list 5001 games but it hasn't got that many, well it keeps counting but some of the games repeat. Got fed up after a hundred or so cycles through.

What is it? Had it for 5 years now....

post-25571-126616155764_thumb.jpg

post-25571-126616159255_thumb.jpg

post-25571-126616161006_thumb.jpg

I'm not able to say weather there's a NTSC version, but yes your observations seem right. All PAl versions I wonder why???. I also have the TV boy which had 128 games on it too. Argos started selling them a few years ago and I bought one just for the fun of it. has lots of great titles on there. Great for a quick blast.

post-25571-126618823705_thumb.jpg

• 5 years later...

Sorry for the exhumination of this long forgotten thread.

I could get one of those "5001 games" clones for 50.

Is it worth it or is it better to invest the money into a real VCS.

Are these clones similar to the original ones in technical manners or is it just a plastic box of electronic crap?

Edited by ColecoNoob

For that price I'd pass. In here (Poland) you can find those clones for $7-20. Most expensive I saw was some $40 for a perfect boxed Rambo one.

I can't say for sure about all clones, but unlike Gemini or some of the Brazilian ones, each of the Rambo/Rinco/Video Game Compatible 2600 I saw, suffered a couple drawbacks:

- No analogue input lines, to use the cheaper Atari-in-a-chip (mostly chinese UMC) design = no paddles support!

- No B/W switch (it's used to cycle games, duh!)

- Low motherboard quality in general, usually no shielding to speak of and only very small heatsinks on 7805.

- One of the ground lines in cartridge port is used to sense whether an external cart is plugged in. For certain carts that don't have lines 12 & 24 connected together, this will cause the console to boot into internal ROM only.

Now for the good part:

- The case looks like a perfect copy of a Vader unit, quite possibly they were even using decommissioned/scrapped moulds.

- Built-in games, including some of the really good 2-4k classics like Air-Sea Battle, Combat, River Raid, Pitfall!, Berzerk, Missile Command and dozens of others.

- Video signal is internally very good and damn easy to mod for Composite or S-video. Actually, there's no mixing of Luma levels here, the all-in-one chip outputs the video on just 2 pins: Luma and Chroma, ready to just amplify with a simple transistor driver.

- You can hack the AoaC into a system the size of a lighter.

:D

Fun fact about Rinco and Rambo being their product:

Once when I opened a Rinco-made Famiclone, 2 pieces of the board (motherboard and built-in games board, which was literally a cart board soldered onto the mobo on a ribbon cable!) were separated from coming into contact by a piece of cardboard from the Rambo box!

Edited by Mef

These units come in 2 variants of the top plate: either black with red print similar to original VCS font (and xxx-in-1 print or stickers) or in silver with a slightly different print.

Internally, these are based on the same architecture with multiple motherboard revisions for both variants.

I've seen those having place for more ROM chips in certain versions, different arrangement of ROMs depending on the EEPROM sizes available within production run, even piggybacked ROM chips with extra wires leading to the ROM-select switch (in the place of Chanel switch), as if they decided to squeeze in more at the final stage.

Check the pictures closer for the likeness in general design of the box: the small dotted pattern, the common Rambo pic and identical joysticks for both.

Edited by Mef

• 4 years later...