IGNORED

Scanning all my cartridges

Pioneer4x4

I'm scanning them all in at 300 DPI, just the top label so far.

First I'm scanning in all of my bests, 1 each title. Then maybe I'll scan 1 of each extra. It is taking me almost a minute each one, to preview, scan, save, type in the name, create subfolders...

There has to be a better way, I'm only about ½ way through mine with 118 scanned, and I have been at it on and off for 3 hours, I bet 2 of it was active.

I attached contact sheets of all of my Atari and Sears carts.

For the most part, Atari labels seem to be in much better shape than the rest.

post-25375-126617548043_thumb.jpg

post-25375-126617549244_thumb.jpg

post-25375-12661755042_thumb.jpg

post-25375-126617551405_thumb.jpg

post-25375-126617558665_thumb.jpg

I bet you could get 6 titles layed on the scanner on each pass then just crop or cut out each one.. Unless your doing that already?? BTW no need to do the preview scan it's a waste of time because once set up you wont need to do it..

I tried it that way and I can't find a way of keeping the crop size in pixels the same, plus it is hard to keep them from wiggling around. This is how I ended up doing it.

I made a mask with white paper, and a couple Combat carts to keep the subject aligned. When I preview, it auto crops to the size of the mask. I though it would be easier if I setup a jig and a tripod and did digital photos, but some of the metallic ones need creative lighting...

What really sucks is I just tossed an old parallel port flatbed scanner that was legal sized. You could do 8 at once on it.

I also am attaching 1 scan of how they are coming out.

Each picture is 1020x1161.

post-25375-126618025707_thumb.jpg

post-25375-126618064078_thumb.jpg

I bet you could get 6 titles layed on the scanner on each pass then just crop or cut out each one.. Unless your doing that already?? BTW no need to do the preview scan it's a waste of time because once set up you wont need to do it..

I tried it that way and I can't find a way of keeping the crop size in pixels the same, plus it is hard to keep them from wiggling around. This is how I ended up doing it.

I made a mask with white paper, and a couple Combat carts to keep the subject aligned. When I preview, it auto crops to the size of the mask. I though it would be easier if I setup a jig and a tripod and did digital photos, but some of the metallic ones need creative lighting...

What really sucks is I just tossed an old parallel port flatbed scanner that was legal sized. You could do 8 at once on it.

I also am attaching 1 scan of how they are coming out.

Each picture is 1020x1161.

what a shame... Well I guess you will just have to bite the bullet and get don to it. God I would hate that. Perhaps you could enlist a couple of students from the local tech to help out for a few pennies?

Nice skydiver cart BTW :)

what a shame... Well I guess you will just have to bite the bullet and get don to it. God I would hate that. Perhaps you could enlist a couple of students from the local tech to help out for a few pennies?

Nice skydiver cart BTW :)

I figure everytime I sit at the PC, I'll scan a few more, (not tonight though, I'm beat).

Thanks about the Skydiver, I scrolled through them and thought that one looked good, both design and condition. Plus, like I've been saying in other posts, it is one of my favorites.

Plus, plus, thanks to the harmony, all of my carts will wear even less now.

Just curious: What is the intent with this lengthy undertaking? Is it for cataloging purposes? Just go to sites that already have all the label scans and download the images for all your cart titles. If some are not readily available, then use the label maker software found on AA forums to make replacement images.

Just curious: What is the intent with this lengthy undertaking? Is it for cataloging purposes? Just go to sites that already have all the label scans and download the images for all your cart titles. If some are not readily available, then use the label maker software found on AA forums to make replacement images.

The main reason is for my own enjoyment. I scanned all of mine about 12 years ago, and I have many new ones I go recently. Plus back in the late 1990s, storage wasn't as cheap, and I scanned them in at maybe 75 DPI.

Second, I want to have scans of MY carts with all of their imperfections, not someone elses if possible.

Third, I can't find good high resolution scans anywhere, if I could I would make some new labels for the ones I have that are REALLY bad. (I just got to GORF, WOW is that one in bad shape!)

Third, this way I can check what I have from anywhere and hopefully use scans of my dupes for trades.

Finally, I hope to use them in a database of my carts, even if just an excel file. I might make a screensaver with them, or have them cycle in the side bar.

Starpath ones scan just like normal, really. I'd scan the insert and side A on the tape in one pass. And yes, they, too, are subject to Actiplaque, unfortunately.

I was trying to get them all the same resolution size image. That way I can make contact sheets from them all, and/or screen savers/desktops.

I might just grab the images I have from the Stella CD for the Starpath ones, since the inserts are essentially perfect anyway.

Atarimania.com along with my www.videogamevariations.com have probably 95% or more of every label. Though I haven't gotten around to moving past the A companies. It is extremely long and tedious. I've been working on my photo site for close to 2 years now, on and off. And I do end labels. I've probably scanned in at least 1/4 of what I have in the database, and the rest have gotten from other sites and collectors here. Once I'm done putting up the 3rd party companies, I'm going back and will try and find all the variations I don't have. I've also included scans of front and back of boxes.

A good reason to have scans of everything you own would be for insurance purposes. You can always show proof if something happens to your collection. The show what you have for sale/trade thing works too!

Phil