IGNORED

Fighting Boring with Boring!

Lonely Mountain Hermit

I know the 2600 isn't the only console with these sort of games, but I think it may have the largest selection. Here's three off the top of my head;

Lost Luggage-- Remember the last time you were at the airport and experiencing the thrill of retrieving your luggage from that cool conveyor belt? Well guess what? There's an entire game based on exactly that premise!

Plaque Attack-- Yeah, brushing your teeth is pretty radical,but does it really need a video game?

Sneak n Peek-- Back in the days before video games when kids were really, really bored and there was absolutely nothing to do, they played Hide and Go Seek. Fast forward to a time where technology has provided a more interesting alternative to boredom busting...they go and make a video game based on Hide and Go Seek?

I know the 2600 isn't the only console with these sort of games, but I think it may have the largest selection. Here's three off the top of my head;

Lost Luggage-- Remember the last time you were at the airport and experiencing the thrill of retrieving your luggage from that cool conveyor belt? Well guess what? There's an entire game based on exactly that premise!

Plaque Attack-- Yeah, brushing your teeth is pretty radical,but does it really need a video game?

Sneak n Peek-- Back in the days before video games when kids were really, really bored and there was absolutely nothing to do, they played Hide and Go Seek. Fast forward to a time where technology has provided a more interesting alternative to boredom busting...they go and make a video game based on Hide and Go Seek?

You make a fair point, but I have to defend a few of the old games here. It was a time when it was a revolution to have a computer system in your home. Pong to the 2600 was a massive leap, full colour etc just having a blob you could move around the screen and interact with something was so radical in those days. Sure some are boring as hell today but back then, and lets not forget we were kids too, it was new exciting and fun.

I remember playing freeway, how simple was that but I played it for hours. Can't imagine I would play it for more than 1 game now.

It still happens today, as new techniques are learnt better games come out and make the older title look pretty poor, just compare PC games of 2 years ago and today. I'm sure the same would apply. But yes some are so simplistic that even then they were a little boring, but was that only because you had played something better in the Atari range?

but it's still based on the concept of brushing your teeth.

So what? Probpably it was directed at kids, as a kind of "educational" game, trying to tell you how important it is to brush your teeth... After all, there are/were cartoons on TV like that, too. And as a game, that's really quite fun, what's the problem?

Ever seen this old Shareware game? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNRmuM_iwoo

Also looks like it still seems to be around, with newer versions: www.carrsoft.com/ctf/capture_the_flag_game.html

It really is some fun, even if you just play the Shareware version, against the computer or, better yet, against a buddy (taking turns, of course the waiting player mustn't look at the screen! :P or you can play by E-Mail)

Edited by Herbarius

Plaque Attack:

One of my favorites and I think often overlooked titles. It offers a lot of action and ramps up to a high level of difficulty.

Sneak n Peek:

One of only a handful of titles my sister would play with me on the Atari, so to say the game is boring may be your opinion but not certainly mine. Some of my fondest memories of playing Atari as a kid were playing Sneak n Peek with my one and only sis. :)

Lost Luggage:

I agree 100% with you.

I just think its kind of funny when video games,which purpose is to fight boredom, are created based upon concepts that are generally thought of as boring.

What's really funny, is when the game actually turns out to be really good...like Pressure Cooker, which is pure genius!

So basically what I am referring to are games based on ordinary, mundane tasks, not the usual, aliens & spaceships, monsters and heroes sort of stuff most games are based on.

I am not talking about games that aren't fun to play.

Edited by Lonely Mountain Hermit

I'm not sure if I would include the educational games like 'Basic Math' in this category though. I guess there's possibly some kid out there who would find solving difficult algebra equations more exciting than defending the planet from hostile extraterrestrial beings, but I really don't think these games were meant to be fun.

I understood you from the first post :) I thought Freeway was actually a great response. We don't find out why the chicken crossed the road because the object is only to cross the road. Another normally simple task but a pretty fun game.

I just thought I should clarify what I intended for the topic. :) And that boring, mundane tasks can occasionally make for fun games..though obviously not always.

Yeah, Freeway is good one. Not only is it based on the uninteresting task of crossing a street...it's also based on probably the most boring and cliched jokes of all time! Yet, despite that, its a really fun little game!

I understood you from the first post :) I thought Freeway was actually a great response. We don't find out why the chicken crossed the road because the object is only to cross the road. Another normally simple task but a pretty fun game.

I just thought I should clarify what I intended for the topic. :) And that boring, mundane tasks can occasionally make for fun games..though obviously not always.

Yeah, Freeway is good one. Not only is it based on the uninteresting task of crossing a street...it's also based on probably the most boring and cliched jokes of all time! Yet, despite that, its a really fun little game!

Tough to beat ADANCED LAWNMOWER SIMULATOR! An AMIGA PD/Freeware title, it really sucked, I think I ran it a few times when I was really bored..........

Link to awesome heartpounding description

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

Tough to beat ADANCED LAWNMOWER SIMULATOR! An AMIGA PD/Freeware title, it really sucked, I think I ran it a few times when I was really bored..........

Link to awesome heartpounding description

LOL...Unless there's a game based on watching paint dry, I would say that must be the most boring game concept of all time! Someone should port it over to the 2600!!

To be fair, though, Video Life is based off a even older game that I do find rather interesting -- the right versions of the game are quite fun. The 2600 is nowhere near being able to handle it well, though.

To me, a borring game is Taboo for the NES. Oh yeah, let's make a game based on mind reading and gypsy cards that doesn't actually work! Your NES is powerfull enough to read your mind! :roll:

There is lots of scope here for a homebrew sequel, where you get to wait in line at the baggage office to file a claim for your bag that never actually did come off the conveyor belt. :roll:

I :love: Air Canada!

There is lots of scope here for a homebrew sequel, where you get to wait in line at the baggage office to file a claim for your bag that never actually did come off the conveyor belt. :roll:

I :love: Air Canada!

I think you may be onto something here. :)

I'm referring more to the theme of the game rather than the actual gameplay. Plaque Attack may be a fun game to play...but it's still based on the concept of brushing your teeth.

It's not the only one...

Tooth Protectors

Jawbreaker (the "cut scenes" feature your teeth being brushed)

I'm referring more to the theme of the game rather than the actual gameplay. Plaque Attack may be a fun game to play...but it's still based on the concept of brushing your teeth.

It's not the only one...

Tooth Protectors

Jawbreaker (the "cut scenes" feature your teeth being brushed)

But in "Jawbreaker", the main theme is eating candy...which is fun! :)