IGNORED

Harmony Cart 7800

Underball

I loved my CC2, and it was painful having to part with it when I was in a financial bind.

But the Harmony Cart has significantly brightened my outlook. I love this thing. I mean - it's even easier to use than the CC2. No complicated Menu system that can easily get fouled up. Just drag them onto your SD card in the order you want them. done.

So it begs the question, is a lower cost Harmony for 7800 games possible, and if so - is anyone interested and/or willing to work on getting one ready?

I mean don't get me wrong, the CC2 was great, but Chad's not going to make them any more, and the reality is - with the Harmony selling at $50, all those CC2's going for $300+ aren't very attractive any more.

It's at the discussion stage now - no code has been written, no parts ordered, no boards laid out yet.

I don't think we'll hit a price point of $50 with this one due to the smaller quantity, larger board, more expensive MCU, the POKEY and other factors. It's too early to say a final price but I estimate it will be less than half of the original price of a CC2.

• Like 2

It's at the discussion stage now - no code has been written, no parts ordered, no boards laid out yet.

I don't think we'll hit a price point of $50 with this one due to the smaller quantity, larger board, more expensive MCU, the POKEY and other factors. It's too early to say a final price but I estimate it will be less than half of the original price of a CC2.

And worth every penny.

Since the regular Harmony cart already exists, you wouldn't need to build in 2600 compatibility like the CC@ had, especially if that saves on cost/design headaches.

Good to hear. When it gets to the point of making pre-production test carts, sign me up.

And worth every penny.

Since the regular Harmony cart already exists, you wouldn't need to build in 2600 compatibility like the CC@ had, especially if that saves on cost/design headaches.

Good to hear. When it gets to the point of making pre-production test carts, sign me up.

We would build in full compatibility with 2600 games. We could reuse most of our existing codebase for 2600 bankswitching, with modifications for the new MCU, of course.

Edited by batari
  • Like 1

And worth every penny.

We would build in full compatibility with 2600 games. We could reuse most of our existing codebase for 2600 bankswitching, with modifications for the new MCU, of course.

Sounds interesting. :thumbsup:

Mitch

It's a great idea but I'm not as excited about it as the original. Why? The Harmony allows me to play 2600 games I'd never be able to play otherwise. The 7800 library is so small that I already own every game that I want on original cartridges. But for people that didn't buy a Harmony yet, a Harmony 7800 would be the way to go.

It's a great idea but I'm not as excited about it as the original. Why? The Harmony allows me to play 2600 games I'd never be able to play otherwise. The 7800 library is so small that I already own every game that I want on original cartridges. But for people that didn't buy a Harmony yet, a Harmony 7800 would be the way to go.

There are alot of demo's and some homebrews that never got a cartridge release so a 7800 Harmony would allow you to play them too :)

• Like 2

This is what Ive been waiting to hear I wont spend the money on what CC2's are goin for

But will 100% buy this

I officially sign up for when ever pre/post production comes about Would love to be an early adopter :!: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 1

This is what Ive been waiting to hear I wont spend the money on what CC2's are goin for

But will 100% buy this

I officially sign up for when ever pre/post production comes about Would love to be an early adopter :!: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I do not own a 7800 (yet) and I can still commit to buying one of your carts; that's how much I'm impressed with both your product and yeah, your committment to make it affordable.

... and if you guys ever consider the Colecovision as a potential target... :)

In the meantime, at least we have this:

http://atarimax.com/usbcoleco/documentation/

Coleco and the 5200 initially looked like a good fit given that nearly all games are 32k or less, so the same MCU and much of the existing firmware could be reused. However, the AtariMax carts are the reason why I haven't done anything for these systems. I'd rather look into platforms with no current menu multicarts available than compete with something that's still being produced.
  • Like 4

In the meantime, at least we have this:

http://atarimax.com/usbcoleco/documentation/

Coleco and the 5200 initially looked like a good fit given that nearly all games are 32k or less, so the same MCU and much of the existing firmware could be reused. However, the AtariMax carts are the reason why I haven't done anything for these systems. I'd rather look into platforms with no current menu multicarts available than compete with something that's still being produced.

That seems fair enough Im hoping to pick up the 5200 AtariMax in the spring/summer

A 7800 one is a good way to go the CC2 while I heard was good was a very limited run not enough to satisfy the demand but was enough to satisfy those looking to profit from buying them (not all, know some who did buy them to enjoy not gouge those who missed out)

A 7800 one is a good way to go the CC2 while I heard was good was a very limited run not enough to satisfy the demand but was enough to satisfy those looking to profit from buying them (not all, know some who did buy them to enjoy not gouge those who missed out)

I don't know about that. Chad had a real hard time selling out the second run. It was only after he had sold out that demand picked up.

Mitch