IGNORED

Harmony Cart 7800

Underball

How many CC2s were produced?

I think there were two runs produced, I don't recall the total number produced. I did print the labels, I should go look up how many I sent to Chad. 200+?

..Al

I don't think Chad ever said how many were made. I think between 200-300 is probably fairly accurate.

Mitch

How many CC2s were produced?

I think there were two runs produced, I don't recall the total number produced. I did print the labels, I should go look up how many I sent to Chad. 200+?

..Al

I don't think Chad ever said how many were made. I think between 200-300 is probably fairly accurate.

Mitch

And alot of them are not even in use and just sit in collections or some sellers future store stock. I think a Harmony 7800 would be a warm welcome, I would love to own one and I'm sure the idea of a readily avalible, fair priced (AKA not a $300 to $500 dollar CC2) user reprogramable multicart would make alot of happy campers. If the Harmony 7800 is $100 or less it would be a dream come true.

• Like 4

High score cart function w/Harmony2 on the 7800!? That would be ultimate awesomeness if that could be implemented! But even without that it would still RAWK! hard! :)

The MCU has multiple methods of non-volatile storage so the HSC should be possible.

Edited by batari

... and if you guys ever consider the Colecovision as a potential target... :)

In the meantime, at least we have this:

http://atarimax.com/usbcoleco/documentation/

Coleco and the 5200 initially looked like a good fit given that nearly all games are 32k or less, so the same MCU and much of the existing firmware could be reused. However, the AtariMax carts are the reason why I haven't done anything for these systems. I'd rather look into platforms with no current menu multicarts available than compete with something that's still being produced.

Yep, I know of this, and may end up picking one up if nothing else is coming down the pipe. I do find it's maybe a bit pricey (but not ridiculously so) and your Harmony setup seems to be easier to add games and there's that 128 limitation; though with the Coleco, it's not too bad, with homebrew, there's what 140-150 games total? Remove the soso games and I guess everything worthy fits.

I'm just am amazed at the Harmony, the thinking behind the ease of use is simply "smart". The fact as some pointed out you can use a directory structure to really sort your games in any manner you want, that's big man!

I am in for sure. Guess it's a good thing for me I didn't buy a Harmony yet? ;)

Not really... If too many people choose not to buy a Harmony because of this thread, Harmony 2 might not come to be at all. Projects like this require substantial investments. In the case of Harmony, my personal investment was well into the five figure range before any production carts were sold. Before I make another big investment, I need to at least break even on Harmony, and that hasn't happened yet!

• Like 6

There is no point waiting for the Harmony 7800:

• We don't even have an initial design yet.
  • It will cost much more than a Harmony cart.
  • It will only work on the 7800.
  • It will probably be at least a year before it is ready (it took 1.5 years to realise the Harmony cart).
  • It might not happen at all (see previous post).

Chris

• Like 2

Not really... If too many people choose not to buy a Harmony because of this thread, Harmony 2 might not come to be at all. Projects like this require substantial investments. In the case of Harmony, my personal investment was well into the five figure range before any production carts were sold. Before I make another big investment, I need to at least break even on Harmony, and that hasn't happened yet!

I should consider buying more Harmony carts, then! :P -to do my part to help make Harmony a success for everyone, including batari being able to at least break even, thus allowing more serious consideration for a Harmony2 for the 7800!!

Come on everybody on the fence like "Greg2600" buy a Harmony NOW! or you may never see one for a 7800 - If you love the 2600 Greg, purchase one today! The 2600 Harmony cart is really cool! I wouldn't want to wait another year to two years for the Harmony2. And you won't be able to use it on a 2600 unit.

Edited by ovalbugmann
  • Like 4

Just to clarify - I had no intention of suggesting a 7800 Harmony cart in place of the current one. I own a 2600 Harmony Cart and LOVE it, and encourage everyone to buy one.

I was hoping one could be made for the 7800 games ONLY, since I already have a 2600 Harmony cart. I though that perhaps only making it for 7800 roms would make it easier and/or cheaper to reproduce.

In short - don't hold out on buying a 2600 Harmony now.

• Like 1

I would buy a 7800 cart from you on day one. Actually, I would buy any SD capable cartridge for any system. The Harmony cart is just *that* good, that I would want that experience on the other systems. And if you can pull it off on the 2600, I think you can do it on pretty much anything.

While the coleco and 5200 carts do exists, they require software to load ROMS. It can be a pain, especially for those without the right type of operating system. While I understand you don't want to step on anyone's toes, SD capable 5200 and Coleco carts would be amazing.

What I would really like to see is an Atari 8-bit cart that can run all cartridge ROMs off of an SD card. Atarimax has something new for the 8-bit as well, but it seemed like a big hassle to flash, and it was fairly limited in space.

If you ever make a newer 7800 harmony - my number one request would be to make it 'double ended' - so it could also work in a 2600 :)

( I'll order a 2600 version today anyway - it's got to be better than burning eproms :) )

This is unlikely to happen as it would add significantly to the cost of the cart (e.g. it would require a new case design).

Chris