IGNORED

Unsuspecting Mom Fetches $13,000 For eBay Nintendo System Auction

Unsuspecting Mom Fetches $13,000 For eBay Nintendo System Auction

Published 02/13/2010

By Tim Boswell Share This Post

Share |

Nintendo System eBay Auction - Stadium EventsA mother from Haw River, North Carolina recently rummaged through her kids' old things in their basement and came across an old Nintendo Entertainment System with five games. She posted it for sale on eBay (under the username lace_thongs35), and to her surprise, the auction ended at over $13,000.

According to the folks over at HotBloodedGaming.com, old Nintendo systems are not super hot commodities, it was one of the five games that was ULTRA RARE that caught collectors' attentions.

The five games included: TMNT II: The Arcade Game, Super Mario Bros 3, MLB, the combo Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt cartridge, and an ultra rare title called Stadium Events.

The title ranks at #6 on a list of 20 "Holy Grails of Console Game," a list that covered all gaming systems in all countries, according to Wikipedia.

A report from NBC says that only about 2,000 copies of the Stadium Event title were produced in the '80s, and after a recall, that number was reduced to about 200.

Today collectors who follow the sale of rare games believe only ten complete copies of the game still exist, and this was apparently one of them. The NBC report says the box itself is valued at around $10,000.

All we can say is WOW! You never know what's in your basement or attic, do you?

Don't feel bad -- your post has some new and interesting information. :)

If the NBC report is correct, that leaves only about 200 copies of the game out there. I had no idea it was that low! :!:

Makes me wonder how much that current EBay auction for a SEALED copy will go for. I'm thinking at LEAST 25k. I wouldn't be shocked if it went over 50k!

Don't feel bad -- your post has some new and interesting information. :)

If the NBC report is correct, that leaves only about 200 copies of the game out there. I had no idea it was that low! :!:

Makes me wonder how much that current EBay auction for a SEALED copy will go for. I'm thinking at LEAST 25k. I wouldn't be shocked if it went over 50k!

Time to find out:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1403840977501?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=140384097750&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Don't feel bad -- your post has some new and interesting information. icon_smile.gif

If the NBC report is correct, that leaves only about 200 copies of the game out there. I had no idea it was that low! icon_exclaim.gif

Time to find out:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1403840977501?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=140384097750&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

maybe someone found out they had one and is trying to sell it? maybe its a fake, trying to ride off of a recent auction that fetched 13K?......

Don't feel bad -- your post has some new and interesting information. icon_smile.gif

If the NBC report is correct, that leaves only about 200 copies of the game out there. I had no idea it was that low! icon_exclaim.gif

Time to find out:

maybe someone found out they had one and is trying to sell it? maybe its a fake, trying to ride off of a recent auction that fetched 13K?......

The story is that one mom bought it, and when the Bandai pads were recalled, she didnt open it so she could return it. She never did.

The story is that one mom bought it, and when the Bandai pads were recalled, she didnt open it so she could return it. She never did.

Sounds like something my Mom would do. :D

Yeah, that's the one I was talking about. Allready almost at 19k.

I'm not a expert by any means on sealed games, FWIW, but the pics sure make it look like the real deal.

Some stuff from that article and from the current ebay listing that bug me a bit:

Today collectors who follow the sale of rare games believe only ten complete copies of the game still exist, and this was apparently one of them.

No, apparently this was #11. Nobody knew about this copy before. The owner obviously never told anybody, seeing as she didn't even know it was worth anything.

And from the current sealed copy eBay ad:

An online article states that, “The North American, or NTSC, version of Stadium Events is universally accepted as the rarest licensed NES game available for purchase in North America”. As the article continues, “ONLY ONE OF WHICH IS FACTORY SEALED”. If this is true then THIS IS that “ONLY” game that is factory sealed. This is truly an opportunity of a lifetime.

Wow. So this person finds a sealed copy that they didn't even know was worth anything until a few days ago. They then look up an article about the game, and find that only 1 sealed copy is known to exist. So the seller assumes it's *their* copy that the article's author saw through a crystal ball somehow.

No, there are obviously at least 2 sealed copies. Nice try at insulting people's intelligence, but this is at least half as rare as they tried to imply.

They retracted this later when revising the ad (below the horizontal line), admitting that there's 1 other separate sealed copy out there. But I don't get why they attempted to imply otherwise in the first place. It won't fool anyone who puts up the big bucks for this stuff.