IGNORED

Pitfall! binaries and source code

retroclouds

Now I have a question are there differents versions for Tutor, Pyuuta, jr and mk2 or are they all the same?

I suppose keyboard processing is different between Tutor and Pyuuta jr.

US TUTOR == JP mk2 : BIOS is same hash. And they need magic number to boot 32K cart. Pyuuta and Jr don't need.

5344 BYTE >00,>02,>20,>34

Pyuuta Jr has parallel joypad. I've wrote 2 codes for scanning joypad. Please check bellow.

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/tanam/20170305/1488681650

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Today is a special day for me. I'm releasing both the binaries and source code for

my remake of Pitfall! for the Texas Instruments TI-99/4A.

This is revision B, which runs on a bare console without 32K memory expansion.

Binaries

attachicon.gifpitfall_rev_b.zip

Source code

attachicon.gifpitfall_rev_b_source.zip

The source code is fully documented and includes instructions on how to assemble the game.

I'm hoping it's showing how much fun programming TMS9900 assembly language can be. icon_smile.gif

If you like this, you also may want to checkout my SPECTRA arcade game library.

Enjoy icon_mrgreen.gif

The readme noted that the .bin is for Classic99 - will that work on my FinalGROM99? I know FG99 won't run on older FlashRom99, but I'm still not clear on which .bin files run on what...

The readme noted that the .bin is for Classic99 - will that work on my FinalGROM99? I know FG99 won't run on older FlashRom99, but I'm still not clear on which .bin files run on what...

yes any bin for classic99 should work fine in the fg99 unless it exceeds 1mb which is the maximum size of the fg99

• 4 months later...
On 1/19/2018 at 2:28 AM, tanam1972 said:

US TUTOR == JP mk2 : BIOS is same hash. And they need magic number to boot 32K cart. Pyuuta and Jr don't need.

5344 BYTE >00,>02,>20,>34

This is not a checksum or hash. It may be something that enables or sets up the banks. Most games have similar sequences.

They start at 0x533c (0x133c in the rom), in set of 2 words, and go until the first word of a set is 0x0002.

I was able to use the sequence, 00 00 20 24 00 01 20 2C 00 02 20 34, to get Car-azy Racer working with tanam's flash cart on the Tomy tutor. The cart supposedly doesn't work with the Tomy Tutor. ?

https://tms9918.booth.pm/items/1022788

The rom is padded to 32k, by inserting 16k of 0xFF byte fillers at the beginning, and putting the above sequence at 0x133c.

I also tested with Mr Do, and it worked fine. It should work with any 8k or 16k cartridge. The last 8k, of an 8k cartridge, would probably need to be filled with 0xFF.

This will not work with Pitfall! or any of the other 32k cartridges.

Edited by cdoty
Clarify statement.

• 2 months later...
On 1/19/2020 at 2:12 AM, blackbox said:

The bin file supplied does not function on my fg99 (lock up), presumably the classic99 bank switching is not compatible?? Can anyone convert this to work with FG99 for me??? Many thanks s

Worked fine for me.. pitfall.bin out of the zip file..  console no memory expansion 

I must have had the uninverted copy on my drive as that was what worked..  Here is an uninverted copy that works on fg99 

Greg

pitfall.bin

• Like 1

Just tried it again- I get a few play throughs of the introductory animation, which I can't get out of, and then it crashes.   I understood there was a difference between 8.bin and 9.bin and fg99 may not be the same as classic99???

Whatever- for the avoidance of doubt the bin file I am trying is dated 27-12-2009 and is 32k.

Simple TI99/4A console with speech and 32k sidecar 32k.  No problems with other FG99 games- except I can't get AsTIroids to do anything at all (blank screen).  Oh well, if everyone else is using fg99 to play Pitfall without a problem...

I can’t wait to check this out. Word on the street is the EA Cart’s example game code —Tombstone City— is full of poor/inefficient programming techniques.

Sounds to me like this is going to be a better example to learn from. I skipped using the Tombstone City code as part of my TI-99:4A Assembly learning process.

You deserve a big THANK YOU for publishing your source code. Hopefully this will inspire others to publish more source code. Why not guys?

Surely not a financial risk.

My current/first Assembly game project will include source code upon completion. Perhaps as an example of what not to do?

There’s value in that.

Seriously though, I’ve been loading up my code with comments intended for beginners — dummies guide style. 

My game may suck but at least it will provide an opportunity for others to learn. 

No doubt I’ll be documenting mistakes and lessons learned as well. This assembly coding deal isn’t as difficult as the 1980s documentation makes it seem. Especially with the AtariAgers offering help along the way. 

Thank you! @retroclouds

PS - Enjoy your Pitfall in the Tomy Tutor as well! It’d be interesting to hear you explain how TI-99/4A code is then ported to the Tutor.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

After searching for a while trough many places, I found this post to be the most relevant to ask some questions related to the Pyuta´s home computer.

I live in Argentina and have been a TI 99/4 and later a TI99/4A enthusiast for the last 40 years. Some years ago, I bought a Pyuta in good operating conditions and a Tomy Tutor in not very good shape.  I never had the time to setup and test those units, but nowadays and due to the lockdown, I did find some time to start playing with this interesting units. I did investigate the forums and other places, but some of the old links are not working or no longer available, so I may repeat some already answered questions.

- For the Pyuta (Japanese version that as I learned it lacks basic). Is there any way to replace the ROM to have English as standard and/or have BASIC available? I checked the Tomy Tutor and the MK-2 motherboard, and they are slightly different, so I guess that just replacing the ROM won´t be enough. 

- I did read that there is a ROM replacement that allow to have a basic cartridge at the port, but can´t find the link.

- I also read that there are PCB for ROM carts developed, either for the cartridge cart or the I/O port, but again can´t find the schematics or the files to be able to make them. 

- I am also trying to load programs through the cassette port, but since I don´t have the original tape recorder I am trying to figure out how the analog signal is processed in the tape recorder to make it available for the digital port. Does anybody have the circuit inside the original tape recorder to understand what kind of adapter I can make?

I would love to load software and have those units working back, I really appreciate your help!

Best

Tator

I can answer some of the questions. On BASIC and the Pyuuta, it requires a BASIC-1 cartridge (used only with the Pyuuta MK-II) or a BASIC-1 Adapter (attaches to the back of the Pyuuta, using a variation of the same case as the Game Adapter for the 3D games).

I have a set of the multicarts that I purchased for my systems a while back, but I haven't seen them available in a while. I don't think the schematics for them were ever openly available. I do have a few test boards I made to try making my own cartridges, but I haven't tested them yet.

On general Tomy data, you can find a lot on this Tomy Tutor site. I think there is even a good bit of data on the cassette signalling there. Almost every other Tomy site in existence is only in Japanese, which may not help you much. You can find a lot of the Japanese data by searching on ぴゅう太 as opposed to Pyuuta.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ksarul said:

I can answer some of the questions. On BASIC and the Pyuuta, it requires a BASIC-1 cartridge (used only with the Pyuuta MK-II) or a BASIC-1 Adapter (attaches to the back of the Pyuuta, using a variation of the same case as the Game Adapter for the 3D games).

I have a set of the multicarts that I purchased for my systems a while back, but I haven't seen them available in a while. I don't think the schematics for them were ever openly available. I do have a few test boards I made to try making my own cartridges, but I haven't tested them yet.

On general Tomy data, you can find a lot on this Tomy Tutor site. I think there is even a good bit of data on the cassette signalling there. Almost every other Tomy site in existence is only in Japanese, which may not help you much. You can find a lot of the Japanese data by searching on ぴゅう太 as opposed to Pyuuta.

Next to the TI-99/4a development subforum I’d love to see a subforum for close TI-99/4a relatives such as Tomy Tutor and 99/8. Here’s the place where the folks hang out, so why not make it official as a subforum. 

Quite sure that most Tomy Tutors out there belong to folks that also have one or muliple TI-99/4a’s and as such are on Atariage.

• Like 1

Thank you for the quick replies. I did investigate more on the subject and I was able to build a working Tomy Tutor/Pyuta 64K cart. I found the schematics for the carts and other stuff here:

http://www43.tok2.com/home/cmpslv/Pyuuta/EnrPt.htm

image.thumb.png.ae644def15995154977e01babff91e7d.png

I built it from a Ti99/4A 512K Multi card red board that I had available. I am sharing here the details in case anybody wants to try it.

It would be great if somebody has already a PCB design project already made to share.

Best!

Tator

Tomy-Cart by Sebas.pdf

• Like 3