IGNORED

BasicVision - Official development thread

Pixelboy

I hope that you're still working on this, PixelBoy. I'd love to see BasicVision released! I skimmed the document and it looks very intuitive and convenient. :D

Pretty much your best bet is to subvert newcolecos C devkit to parse BASIC ala BCX or support nitrofuranos effort to port ZX Basic to various platforms.

• Like 1

Pretty much your best bet is to subvert newcolecos C devkit to parse BASIC ala BCX or support nitrofuranos effort to port ZX Basic to various platforms.

If it's already a stretch to compile C/BASIC into Assembly due to memory/size inefficiencies, I assume the problem would only be compounded if you convert BASIC to C, then C to Assembly, then Assembly to machine code. That's an awful lot of conversions for a low-spec system like Coleco.

More likely I'll just have to use C with a bit of Assembly if I want to get into it. I just like the convenience and readability of BASIC when it comes to these older systems. Part of the reason may be because sample code tends to be written uber-efficiently with minimalist documentation, making it difficult to understand what's going on with C, while it's easier to follow BASIC at a glance.

• 4 months later...

yes, PixelBoy! consider following all efforts about ZX Basic, and perhaps pick/share some ideas from there if needed - in the meanwhile i could do something for around 25 z80-based arcade machines, and recently i did something for Casio PV1000 console (a rare one, having only 15 classic titles available, and quite fun to code on) - http://www.boriel.com/wiki/en/index.php/ZX_BASIC:Released_Programs#OTHER_HARDWARE

Edited by nitrofurano