IGNORED

Might E.T. be the best 2600 game...based on a movie?

Lonely Mountain Hermit

I've been giving this a lot of thought and have come to some startling realizations!

E.T. is one of the very few movie based games that actually resembles the plot of the movie. You're an alien trapped on earth and you need to find parts to build a phone and call your ship to get home. Elliot's there to help, its got Reese's Pieces, the geranium, and FBI and Scientist guys chasing you around. You've even got the theme music in the title screen and during the game too! Heck, it's even got the part where E.T. turns all white and crusty like a piece of dog poop that's been sitting out in the sun.

Most important though, is the fact that the game actually has a satisfying ending. I remember feeling pretty awesome when I beat the game the first time and E.T. got to go home.

In addition to all this the game's got a couple really cool easter eggs!!

Edited by Lonely Mountain Hermit

ET really wasn't as bad as it is given credit to be, but no way is it better than Raiders.

The main thing I liked about Raiders was that you could blow a hole in a wall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koWxUd30hDo&rel=0&fmt=18&start=89

I thought E.T. was more fun. I never was a fan of the type of game where you walk all the way over there and get the golden flimpuffer, then walk all the way back and give the golden flimpuffer to the crazy old doorknob polisher who will give you the magic kabibble, then go all the way back over there again and twiddle the magic kabibble 3 times in front of the gate of King Jamtasher's castle and wait for Princess Consummation to come out. I know you have to run around in E.T., but E.T. is a more of a hunt and less of a errand game. I just want to find it, use it, and hunt for the next thing.

And on topic, it didn't seem like Raiders had much to do with the movie. No big boulder rolling behind you or natives chasing you as you leap to safety.

Edited by Random Terrain

Fantastic Voyage. :D

ET was a really fun game. Probably one of my favorites when it was new.

Raiders was fun as well though, as ESB.

I think ET really captures the spirit of the movie.

ESB just takes a small part of Star Wars and Raiders just does it own thing.

I don't remember Indy flying across the Mesa using an Ankh in the movie.

Although I don't remember E.T. falling into a bunch of wells either I guess.

That's the beauty of Atari though. Abstract ideas coming together to making a fun game.

I thought I remember seeing a movie based off of the Atari game Custer's Revenge....starred some guy named John Wayne and had some cheezy 70's music.....now there is a game that truly deserved a movie....but again it's no Krull..

E.T. only left me hanging and wishing I knew how to make him get home..... :x

I could never quite figure out what I was supposed to be doing in "Raiders", the whole thing just seems sort of random. But then again, I guess so's finding Indiana Jones hanging out at the bottom of a well in E.T. :P

I might have to watch Krull again, and give the game another play sometime though.

E.T. had the best title screen. As far as play, I found it extremely frustrating to play on any other level than the easiest (and the easiest level was very easy).

I don't know enough about the movies to know how closely the games resembled them but, like others, my vote is for Raiders mainly because I somehow managed to figure it out (probably my most baffling achievement). Solving that game was an awesome ending!