IGNORED

Might E.T. be the best 2600 game...based on a movie?

Lonely Mountain Hermit

I'd say Raiders is the better game, though ET is hella easier in comparrison, I just never liked it all that well.

Starwars, yeah, a snippet of the movie, was the one I waisted the most time on as a child.

To this day, I still haven't figured out how to beat ROTLA :lol:

ET's not a great game, but it doesnt' deserve most of the flack it gets either.

I have to go with Krull also. Great game, great movie (in its time). E.T was a great movie, but an awful game. And yes I have played E.T. many times and hate it. E.T. just sucks, simple as that. I have never finished it, but I can honestly say that I fell into the pits hundreds of times. Not fun.

I have never finished it, but I can honestly say that I fell into the pits hundreds of times. Not fun.

There seems to be a ton of classic and modern games that require the reflexes of a cat, the perfect timing of a juggler, and the mental skills of an Einstein, but people beat them within a few days and are reaching for the next game before their brains and fingers have a chance to cool off, but somehow the wells in E.T. suck them in like black holes and the fairly simple procedure for getting out of a well is just too much for their brains to handle, although they just got done solving a complex puzzle in another game that would make a Mensa member commit suicide.

Not that difficult once you know what to do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcAoIThBDyA&rel=0&fmt=18

But back on topic, I think my vote is also for Krull. Everything in the game seems to match up with the movie.

Raiders of the Lost Ark - I thought it was awesome the first time the map unveiled itself when the sun came up. Add all the other screens and a parachute and I dont think you could get any better Indiana Jones action from the 2600.

E.T. wasnt bad for a movie tie in.

Define "Best".

If you mean numbers sold, it definately goes to E.T. Nothing else comes close.

If you mean most enjoyable, it could be Raiders (tho replay value might be a bit lacking) or Star Wars:ESB (tho the jury's kinda split, since there's no way to "win"). What about Solaris...which was based on The Last Starfighter? When game titles change, do they still count?

Define "Best".

If you mean numbers sold, it definately goes to E.T. Nothing else comes close.

If you mean most enjoyable, it could be Raiders (tho replay value might be a bit lacking) or Star Wars:ESB (tho the jury's kinda split, since there's no way to "win"). What about Solaris...which was based on The Last Starfighter? When game titles change, do they still count?

Of course to say which is "best" based on personal enjoyment is pointless...so I guess it should be which most closely resembles the movie on which it is based. Criteria could be graphics (does the look of the game resemble the movie?), Sound (if the movie has a memorable theme tune, it really should appear in the game at some point), Gameplay (How much of the action and plot from the movie is incorporated into the game?), and finally, fine details (these are the little things that give the game that extra boost of authenticity. In the case of E.T. these would be things like the geranium plant and Reese's Pieces.)

Well Krull and Mega Force definitely fall into the 'better than the movie' category. :D

I wish someone could explain to me why I like the movie Krull (at least a good amount of it). If they had a different guy playing the main character, I'd like it even more.

If Bank Heist had been released under its original title (Bonnie and Clyde) it would certainly qualify.

What about Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers? Can we say that they were based on movies (The Buck Rogers pilot was released in theatres before the TV series began) or just based on the old characters?

Sega's Star Trek used the logo from the film, so does that qualify?

Edited by NovaXpress

I've taken the liberty of compiling a list of all the movie-based games for sake of comparison (Unreleased Prototypes included). If I missed any feel free to add them.

1) Adventures of Tron

2) Alien

3) Dune [Prototype]

4) E.T.

5) Fantastic Voyage

6) Ghostbusters

7) Gremlins

8 ) Halloween

9) James Bond 007 (not sure if its based on a particular movie or just the character)??

10) Krull

11) Lord of the Rings: Journey to Rivendell [Prototype] (label art is from the Ralph Bakshi movie so I consider it a movie game)

12) Mash (pretty sure its based on the movie and not the tv series)

13) Mega Force

14) Planet of the Apes [Prototype]

15) Snow White [Prototype]

16) Sorcerer's Apprentice (based on disney's Fantasia, not the upcoming Nick Cage suckfest :P)

17) Star Wars Ewok Adventure

18) Star Wars Jedi Arena

19) Star Wars Arcade Game

20) Star Wars Empire Strikes Back

21) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

22) Tron Deadly Discs

23) The Earth Dies Screaming

I was surprised there were so few...and four were never commercially released.

Edited by Lonely Mountain Hermit

24) Porky's

25) Spacemaster X-7

26) Alligator People {prototype}

Fox really churned them out, didn't they? I want some more opinions on Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers and Star Trek.

I think Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers and possibly Star Trek were based on the character or franchise more than a specific film. Is the logo used for Star Trek unique to a specific movie?

I find this topic way too interesting.

Right now, I'd say that we have 24 clear movie-based games and 7 question marks.

Lord of the Rings

Flash Gordon

Buck Rogers

Star Trek

Mash

Superman (game and movie were both released in 1978)

Double Dragon (the biggest stretch)

So is it a movie-based game ONLY if the movie was the first form of media to tell the story? In that case, we'd only add Mash.

Or should it be on the list if a motion picture is the CURRENT OR MOST RECENT form of popular media at the time of the game's release. That would place only Superman and Flash Gordon on the list.

Or does it count if a movie was EVER made?

What say ye?

Edited by NovaXpress

You guys forgot to add the Dukes of Hazzard prototype (it's since been made into a movie) and isn't Alligator People really 'Planet of the Apes'? I'm pretty sure they are the same game, but people mistakingly called it 'Alligator People' until the real scoop surfaced. Or is my memory completely out of whack? lol

BTW: 2600 Star Trek rocks. NovaXpress wanted more comments, so there you go! I have the overlay that you can put over your 2600 joystick too. Really, I don't see why anyone would rip on the game or the conversion. It's an extremely well done 2600 port, fun and challenging to play.

Edited by save2600

You guys forgot to add the Dukes of Hazzard prototype (it's since been made into a movie) and isn't Alligator People really 'Planet of the Apes'? I'm pretty sure they are the same game, but people mistakingly called it 'Alligator People' until the real scoop surfaced. Or is my memory completely out of whack? lol

Dukes of Hazzard would indeed be under consideration.

POTA and Alligator People are two separate games. The POTA proto was found first and assumed to be Alligator People because of a mis-labeling. Then the real AP showed up and the story became clear.

Edited by NovaXpress

I find this topic way too interesting.

Right now, I'd say that we have 24 clear movie-based games and 6 question marks.

Lord of the Rings

Flash Gordon

Buck Rogers

Star Trek

Mash

Superman (game and movie were both released in 1978)

So is it a movie-based game ONLY if the movie was the first form of media to tell the story? In that case, we'd only add Mash.

Or should it be on the list if a motion picture is the CURRENT OR MOST RECENT form of popular media at the time of the game's release. That would place only Superman and Flash Gordon on the list.

Or does it count if a movie was EVER made or in the making at the time of the game's release? That means all six would count.

What say ye?

Lord of the Rings was supposed to be released after the movie came out, with artwork from the film on the label, so I consider it a movie based game.

Superman had art from the comic so I don't consider it to be a movie game.

MASH is a tough one. The artwork doesn't appear to show any of the actors from the tv show...and in the game the expression "ferret face" is used...was this ever used on the tv show?

edit: the movie dosn't have to be the first incarnation of the story.

hmmm...

Edited by Lonely Mountain Hermit

How about He-Man or Strawberry Shortcake(thought there was a movie based on her anyway, maybe a straight to VHS or something)? Donald Duck's Speedboat? Dumbo's Flying Circus? Double Dragon was turned into a movie and so was Mario Bros. Kung Fu Master was a movie too. Popeye? Spiderman? Okay, some of these aren't related, but... lol

Edited by save2600