IGNORED

2-button games in bB - using sega genesis pads with the 2600

RevEng

• 3 years later...

Does anyone have an example program to map these buttons and possibly work on the 2600+? I would say the most desirable of course are the A, B, C  and Start. Reading and trying to understand it may be too much to map all the button based upon the Atari.

1. Would be nice for each player to have as many as possible button. The "start" button would be for pause and the "B and/or C" button would be for jump / map screen. The other buttons if mapped would be for other games if you need all those buttons.

2. The other option I'm thinking if possible is to map player 2 button controls into player 1 (if that statement made sense). Probably harder than what's it worth.

3. if option 2 is feasible/not all the way feasible then would say multiplayer games and using those players button to simulate 1 & 2 players work. I have only seen / recall paddles with 4 players from when I was a kid. 

image.png.59ceb1c7a1a7edd1d95c4a8ee2a5c25d.png

Attached is a sample program I'm trying to get to work. Ideally the "C" and "Start" button would be a total win. I noticed that the "X" button turns off the "BW/Color" in Stella so I assume that almost all the buttons could work if someone who knows more could build on to the sample program I got working. The 3 button is something I found at the below link, but it's in assembly and I not sure how it all works and if it could be added to a Bb program.

3buttonread.asm.txt 20240128 - Genesis Controller.bas.bin 20240128 - Genesis Controller.bas

On 1/28/2024 at 11:50 PM, Lewis2907 said:

Attached is a sample program I'm trying to get to work. Ideally the "C" and "Start" button would be a total win. I noticed that the "X" button turns off the "BW/Color" in Stella so I assume that almost all the buttons could work if someone who knows more could build on to the sample program I got working. The 3 button is something I found at the below link, but it's in assembly and I not sure how it all works and if it could be added to a Bb program.

3buttonread.asm.txt 1.52 kB · 0 downloads 20240128 - Genesis Controller.bas.bin 4 kB · 1 download 20240128 - Genesis Controller.bas 5.21 kB · 0 downloads

I hadn't known about this, but looking at it, it could indeed be modified for bB, but for the standard kernel at least it would need a small kernel modification (since the button selection relies on dumping the paddle cap, and the standard kernel does this already when unblanking the screen).

However, I will note:

1. In case you missed it, this requires the genesis controller to be modified to work (a cheap and easy mod if you are good with electronics)
  2. There's almost certainly no support for this in Stella

Karl G,

Thanks for the explanation. It was worth a shot unless there is a work around to use Stella as a tester then try it on real hardware or the 2600+ (since I bought one and it has renewed my interest again as I'm playing it now with my grand kids and telling them about the 80s). Just having the extra button and the "X" to toggle the BW/Color in Stella is a plus and need to test it on the 2600+.

Making a game that requires mods to a controller would most likely turn people away per say. Plus the Genesis Controllers are cheap compared to the Sega Master System controllers when I was on Amazon and eBay looking around. I recall an adapter to use with the NES type, but probably the same issue.