IGNORED

ST-Writer file conversion

Klankster

I have quite a few ST-Writer files that I transferred to my PC a while back. I'd like to convert these to RTF files or plain ASCII text files -- Does anyone know of a file conversion utility that would do this for me?

Alternatively, does anyone have a file format description for ST-Writer files so I can write a converter?

Thanks!

-Tom

There is a program on one of the START cover disks called "SIFT" that will translate

between different WP formats (including ASCII).

I am in the process of rebuilding a dead hard drive,and when I find the program,

I will post it.

Thank you for all your contributions to the Atari community. :)

OOPS! Here it is:SIFT.zip

Thanks for posting that -- Unfortunately, I don't see an ASCII output format in there, but I'll try the others and see if I can use them as an intermediate format.

Too bad I can't find a description of the STWriter file format anywhere. I'm tempted to just dump out a file and write a quick-and-dirty converter. IIRC, it just starts with "DO RUN RUN" and the jumps into the text with the control sequences embedded...

Thanks for posting that -- Unfortunately, I don't see an ASCII output format in there, but I'll try the others and see if I can use them as an intermediate format.

Too bad I can't find a description of the STWriter file format anywhere. I'm tempted to just dump out a file and write a quick-and-dirty converter. IIRC, it just starts with "DO RUN RUN" and the jumps into the text with the control sequences embedded...

Why not load the files into STWriter and "save as ASCII"?

Atari Forever!

Edited by dinosaur

Alternatively, does anyone have a file format description for ST-Writer files so I can write a converter?

You could try to contact Dr. Noonan through Facebook. He may still have the source code. Maybe he'll even consider releasing it into the public domain. No harm in asking:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=762339343&ref=search&sid=1443594574.3853918788..1

-Allan