IGNORED

mini sokoban 2600

roland p

Here is the data my tool generates :)

Thanks for sharing this. To be honest, I downloaded Sokoban++, which happens to be able to save the 50 levels to a textfile. I've also written a little converter that converts the levels. Right now, the wall/block/goal data for each level uses 128 bytes.

Right now, I have 8 levels. You can toggle levels with select and restart with reset.

sokoban.bin

To be honest, I downloaded Sokoban++, which happens to be able to save the 50 levels to a textfile. I've also written a little converter that converts the levels.

Ah, fine, so you're already there :)

BTW: As I recall from my researches back then, one of the original levels is actually _not_ solvable! :o

Very nice, but please rework the controls. You should be able to move the block faster by repeated presses of a direction on the joystick. I.e., the debounce timer should be reset whenever the joystick is centered.

:thumbsup:

I've now reworked the controls. All objects are now moving smooth instead of a playfield-pixel at a time. Press fire for acceleration.

sokoban.bin

Very nice! I've always liked Sokoban (MacSokoban for the Mac, of course) and this has a lot of potential. MacSokoban kept a move history so you could undo moves. It also kept track of how many moves the player took to solve a puzzle, IIRC. Not sure if undo could be implemented but it would be neat for those "whoops" moments.

It also kept track of how many moves the player took to solve a puzzle, IIRC. Not sure if undo could be implemented but it would be neat for those "whoops" moments.

That's a good idea. This version is a bit inspired by boxyboy from the tg-16/pc-engine (it's called just sokoban on the pc-engine) that version had also the undo option you mentioned. I think this feature will be possible in my version too.

I've played around with some colors to make it look cooler :cool: :

sokoban.bin

post-15728-126799380279_thumb.png

Very nice, but please rework the controls. You should be able to move the block faster by repeated presses of a direction on the joystick. I.e., the debounce timer should be reset whenever the joystick is centered.

:thumbsup:

I've now reworked the controls. All objects are now moving smooth instead of a playfield-pixel at a time. Press fire for acceleration.

:thumbsup: Fantastic! And impressive to get all objects moving smoothly. ;)

You should send a copy of this to the CIA to use as a torture device!That's my way of saying I am horrible at this game!The movement routine is much better though.

:D

Maybe when the undo-routine is implemented, you'll make a chance?

:thumbsup: Fantastic! And impressive to get all objects moving smoothly. ;)

Thanks, it was a bit painful to make it work.

@All,

Does this game need a title screen?

The game works very simple now. SELECT for select level RESET for resetting the current level. I think that a title screen will break this easy functionality a bit... What do you think?

@All,

Does this game need a title screen?

The game works very simple now. SELECT for select level RESET for resetting the current level. I think that a title screen will break this easy functionality a bit... What do you think?

Nah, I don't think it needs a title screen. Unless you are able to add extra puzzles beyond the original fifty or so then it might be neat to be able to select which "library" of puzzles to solve, but that would be a good job for the difficulty switches. I was just looking at ole MacSokoban and fans had submitted their own puzzles which the author included with the game (it was modular so each group of puzzles was just a different file).

If you plan to turn this into an actual "game" then I think it needs some kind of title screen, even something as simple as the one in Pitfall!; also a game-over message/sound/screen if you get stuck and a "You win!" message when you complete a puzzle.

OTOH, if you are just goofing around and playing with stuff, then do whatever you want. ;)

If it doesn't take space away from game features, I think a title screen is a good idea. As I've been going through and capturing videos of homebrews, the ones with title screens stand out, and the ones without seem somehow incomplete by comparison.

Also, I agree 100% with Bob regarding a Game Over/You Win message/sound/tune.

I agree with the "you win" signal. I would like to hear a quick little tune and have it go immediately to the next puzzle. I'm not sure how a "game over"/"you got stuck" message would work with sokoban, though. Part of the fun of the game is figuring out on your own that you screwed up the puzzle and have to do it over. Maybe have the game tell you after a certain amount of time has passed since you last pushed that box into the corner, for example?

Not sure if undo could be implemented but it would be neat for those "whoops" moments.

I've now implemented the undo buffer!!

It remembers 16 movements at the moment. Every turn or stop/start moving a block, counts as a movement.

Please report bugs if you encounter them.

I also made the colors a bit more contrasty.

sokoban.bin

post-15728-126867119611_thumb.png

Not sure if undo could be implemented but it would be neat for those "whoops" moments.

I've now implemented the undo buffer!!

It remembers 16 movements at the moment. Every turn or stop/start moving a block, counts as a movement.

Please report bugs if you encounter them.

I also made the colors a bit more contrasty.

I like the colors and contrast .. much better than the ASCII version on my HP200LX palmtop.