IGNORED

Season 5 Week 6 - Super Mario Bros. 3 (1990)

CGQuarterly

Welcome to week 6 of the 5th season of the Atari Age NES High Score League!

This season is only going to be 10 weeks long, and will feature one game released each year between 1985 and 1994.

Here are the standings after 5 weeks of play:

starcry	        429
darthkur	254
Jibbajaba	226
mihcael	        110
JacobZu7zu7	110
roadrunner	108
atari2600land	107
arjak	        99
doubleminor	90
ClassicGMR	80
LarcenTyler	80
phaxda	        66
thegoldenband	56
4Ks	        26
Herbarius	20

This week's game and the 1990 entry is going to be Super Mario Bros. 3.

Title: Super Mario Bros. 3

Developer: Nintendo

Publisher: Nintendo

Released: February 12, 1990 (US)

Twin Galaxies High Score: 2,374,530 by Kyle Goewert.

We are going to use the Twin Galaxies rules for this game, as it provides too many opportunities to point press by continually playing through the same level over and over, and because it is extremely easy to rack up extra lives. The rules sound convoluted, but the general idea is to play the game as though you are trying to beat it instead of exploiting things for a higher score, and stop when you have died 5 times.

Here are the rules:

5 Life Game [Recording ends either when you lose your 5th life OR when the game is completed in accordance with the rules outlined below.]

Special Rules: Your scoring attempts ends when either you lose your 5th life or when you enter the Final Chamber after Bowser's defeat. Going through walls you normally can't go through [such as in Bowser's castle] and the Wall-Jumping tactic is NOT allowed! You're allowed to use Whistles to warp ahead, BUT! You're NOT allowed to use them to warp Backwards or to the same world! [This is due to the fact that when you warp backwards, the game treats any prior completed world as if it's your first attempt! Even if you just finished clearing it, but you keep your score. [This only works for Worlds 5-7]]

Re-Entering the Spiral Palace of World 5 AFTER it has been completed [This done by using the pipe you come out of in the Sky half of World 5] for ANY REASON will result in an AUTOMATIC DISQUALIFICATION with the EXCEPTION being if you lose a life on the Air Ship and it goes down to the bottom part of the level.

All point-pressing techniques are limited to TWO attempts per location, per life. This includes anything that deals with regenerating enemies and power-ups. EXCEPTION: You may collect a power-up more than twice ONLY if you cannot otherwise complete the level on your current life. However, you MUST make every possible effort to avoid this scenario.

[Please note that Air Ship levels are exempt from this as enemies constantly respawn but the screen is almost always scrolling forwards and hence that would be more considered as Point Maximization. An example of 2 times per area would be on 1-1 where you can hop off the turtles with some luck to 8000 points and 1-ups. You can maximize this potential offer no more then twice. Areas such as 1-2 refer to each spawning Goomba pipe may be point pressed twice]

[Wall-Jumping is defined as jumping against a wall [or pipe] in such a manner that a pixel or two of Mario is stuck in the wall [or Pipe] and is able to use that to jump again, far higher then can be done normally. Further definition; Mario cannot be made to jump off of a surface that is 90 degrees perpindicular to the ground. Please note this can be further used to also go through solid objects not normally passable as is disallowed.]

smb3_1.pngsmb3_2.pngsmb3_3.pngsmb3_4.png

Tips:

None yet!

Chris

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Super Mario Bros 3 Rankings

None yet!

Edited by Jibbajaba

Man I need more practice... then again, I'm not used to playing with a 5-death limit!

Yeah rules are a little odd but it does require you to be careful.

My current high is 244,830

I can do much better Im sure.

Am i allowed to for example use respawning enemys to kill a few times until i get one ups then move on? The rules are a bit confusing. I did nothing i found even questionable about this. Glad to see a new game. The two week things me no likie! This is an amazing game though so i plan to play like mad.

Man I need more practice... then again, I'm not used to playing with a 5-death limit!

Yeah rules are a little odd but it does require you to be careful.

My current high is 244,830

I can do much better Im sure.

Am i allowed to for example use respawning enemys to kill a few times until i get one ups then move on? The rules are a bit confusing. I did nothing i found even questionable about this. Glad to see a new game. The two week things me no likie! This is an amazing game though so i plan to play like mad.

I'm confused. How are we supposed to know how many times we die if you get an extra life every 100th coin? I suppose keep a tally on a piece of paper or something, hmm? I shall try at this game, although I don't know how good I'd do.

I was thinking that an easy way would be to get like 5 pennies or something and line them up in front of you, and each time you die, remove one. I agree that it would be hard to keep track in your head (was that three or four??), so either writting it down or having something like the pennies would work best.

I know that the extra rules are a little bit of a pain but without them it wouldn't be much of a challenge to rack up a high score in this otherwise awesome game.

Chris

When i said until i get one ups i ment moving on when i started getting them. After the 8k point bonus I think. I thought thats what the rules refered to but i wanted to double check after that turtle trick thing with the first mario.

The way I read the rules, if you find a situation like the turtle trick, you are allowed to do it twice per life per location. Obviously once you start getting 1-ups you should stop, since they aren't doing you any good.

Chris

974,220 thats much better. I dont think i will be posting a higher score as Im getting a bit burnt out on the game, i now understand why it is so easry to earn extra men! I do intend to keep playing but for fun and for I want to see if i can beat it with out losing a man that may end up with me here anyway!

dang, that 3-6 stage... its where i fall apart. the end with the spinny, koopa and dounut bridges... its chaos. well, i got a whopping 359,220 icon_eek.gif. (insert sarcasm mark here.) someone actually made a sarcasm mark... but oh well.

and also look at the second picture... is that natural?!?

oh yeah, when i was playing the first level with the big fish in it, my NES got overloaded- Mario, shiny brick, 2 koopas, 1 small fish, moving backround... it was chaos, half of the backround went away for a sec, the ? box above me turned into black lines, and the shiny block mario was holding glitched out of appearance. after i dropped the block and spat fireballs at the enemies, the game went back to normal.

post-24080-126785499836_thumb.jpg

post-24080-126785535854_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tr3vor

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...