IGNORED

DK proto only $1K - hurry

coleconut

• 2 weeks later...

The initial price reflected it's possibly undiscovered proto status and to attract attention. I see it worked. :) Now that I dumped it, I lowered the price accordingly.

There's no unreleased games :(

Video Hustler is unreleased and there are several never before discovered versions of released games.

I'm hard pressed to believe that if some unknowing sap had bid at $1,000 that you would have NOT taken their money and told them it was just for attention. :)

As for Video Hustler, it's been out for YEARS-- like since 1986 or 1987. It was never 'commercially' released, but Video Hustler, Fall Guy, Yolks On You, and a handful of others were released as 'public domain' titles a year or two after the crash if my memory serves me.

Of course I would have taken thier money and saying that they would have been an unknowing sap for doing it implies some sort if deception on my part. Care to explain your reasoning on that one? Are you saying an undiscovered early DK proto wouldn't have been worth $1k?

Video Hustler for Colecovision being public domain is news to me. Every reference everywhere to the game calls it a proto and says it was never released. I find it hard to believe that it was made public domain and would like to see more information about that. How did they release it? But regardless, it was never commercially released and the version on my cart has never previously discovered.

Being the seller, I'm biased, so take it with a grain of salt, but I see protos selling in that price range for other systems. I'm not too familiar with the Colecovision market so I guessed high and started at $1k. They're worth whatever someone will pay for them and that's why I added the "or best offer" option on the auctions. I get the feeling from the response so far that the Colecovision market may not be as hot as it is for other systems.

But either way, I'm not out to rip anyone off. I'm just looking to get what they're worth. If I were being deceptive, there's no way I would never have ever spent the time to build an adapter to dump the DK cart, because having it turn out to be the same as the release drops the value waayyy down. From the look of it, everyone who's seen it, including me, guessed that it would turn out to be an early proto. We were all wrong! I would have made much more on it if I had left it undumped but I feel much better selling it knowing exactly what it is.

BTW, getting all of these Colecovision carts and testing and dumping them has got me a lot more interested in the system. I'm considering buying an Adam.

Ideally, I'd like to ditch the printer in favor of a small power supply and get an IDE interface so I can put all the Adam games on a hard drive. How well does that work? Can you fit, like, every Adam game on a hard drive and launch them from an on screen menu? There's not much info about the Adam out there.

Does anyone have an Adam system they'd like to trade for some of these protos or anything else I have on eBay? Giant Game Boy anyone? Beuller? ;)

DJ- sorry if I came across as insulting, not the intention, hence the smiley face. I, personally hold a proto to a lower value than a final release on Software. It's a novelty, but I've never seen a 'better than release' proto.

As for Public Domain status, I have no way to 'prove' the legal nature of it, but the games were available even in the 80's on DDP and disc as cartridge copies to Adam media. Video Hustler was one of those titles, along with games like Cabbage Patch Kids 128k, Super Subroc, Jeopardy, and a handful of others that was available from users groups as Public Domain. If memory serves me, even NIAD offered these titles, which was a Chicago based Christian run user group.

As for power supplies, there are several options, including gutting the printer. But if you search these forums, you should find some historical threads addressing the issue. I personally like using an Arcade Power Supply to replace the printer.

Thanks. :) I just am touchy about being called dishonest.

I'm preeeety sure that those games were not released to the public domain but instead everyone just treated them as such. It's likely that someone was able to get ahold of the protos of them back in the day and copied it. I'm sure the Christian user group had no idea they were technically breaking copyright law. heh. So I would call such a thing "discovered, dumped and widely distributed" but definitely not released by anyone except marauding Christian pirates. :)

So where does one buy an IDE interface for Adam? Just keep an eye out on eBay? 60 MB seems like it would be enough for every game out there, so that's great. Is there a menu-type thing where you can launch games from a list of what's on the HD? If you can't find a 60 MB hard drive, can you make a 60 MB partition on a larger HD? I'm imagining using a IDE to SD adapter and putting all the games on an SD card. :)

• 1 month later...

I found and bought an IDE interface from eColeco. Now I just need an Adam.

How does one get files from one's PC onto the HD?

The ADAM will be fairly easy to find on Ebay. BUT your ide card will NOT work unless eColeco has found someone to burn him new eproms. I purchased the last four they had last May (1 yr ago) and NONE worked; the programmed eprom was bad in all four - but the card worked. I did return them, took a hit on charges, and was informed that ALL ADAM stuff was sold "as is". :x IF they had some burned, it may work, but what I was told is that they didn't have the programming information to burn on the eprom. SO, keep you eye on my website http://ann.hollowdreams.com for any information updates on new eproms being burned - even leave me your email and I can print it out and put it in the wanted stack. We have a user in Saskatchewan who may have a source who can burn some new ones. In that case scenario, the community 'may' be able to resurrect the ide cards that are still available.

To get files back and forth from the PC to the ADAM, you need 5 1/4" disk drives on both the PC and the ADAM. After that you can take files that were ported to the pc emulator ADAMEM and send them back the other way to the ADAM and then copy to the hd, compact flash, sparq drive, or zip drive - whichever of these ide devices you would have on the ADAM. Sounds EASY, yes??? ....... but like everything else, it is not quite as easy as it seems. :cool:

Edited by adamcomputer

I think the HD goes upto 60MB for the ide card.

With an adam you can save CV games onto Data packs or disk I believe.

YOu are correct all around Mark. IDE hard drives can go up to 60 MB, the norm is either 20MB or 40MB, but can be programmed to up to 60MB by formatting and them "mounting" the extra 20 MB portion in TDOS. You run the MOUNT program and it switches to the otherwise non showing 20MB section of the hard drive. Never tried it, but I think it only switches to the non showing 20MB while 'hiding' one of the other sections.

IF you have an ADAM, you CAN a use CartCopy program to copy the CV carts onto ddp or disk. :cool: