IGNORED

Astrosmash Remake

Ophelius

Hey fellows,

first I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Justin and I am new to this forum. I'm a computer programmer, musician and I love old video games.

Anyways, I thought I can start by showcasing my newest creation. It's a remake of the classic intellivision game astrosmash. I kept the same feel, but added some new elements and made it more arcade-like. There's a leaderboard at the site, so if you beat a highscore, follow the instructions to submit your score. Here's the link:

www.astrosmashproject.com

Feedback is always appreciated!

Hope you enjoy it!

Edited by Ophelius
  • Like 3

That's just too damn cool!

I'm almost afraid to ask if that can be ported to some emulator, or as a stand alone so that I can play it on my 42" HDTV with Wii Homebrew Channel.

That arcade action is really slick!

Well Done!

Edited by radiohead

radiohead: I'm glad you enjoy it ;)

I'm not sure how porting it to the wii is done, but I'm sure it's possible. Just connect your computer to your tv. I know that's a pain, but less a pain than porting it to a console haha.

Edited by Ophelius

Games written in SDL are "easy" to port. Other stuff, probably not so much.

I'm almost afraid to ask if that can be ported to some emulator, or as a stand alone so that I can play it on my 42" HDTV with Wii Homebrew Channel.

Well Done!

Bug alert: If anyone is still playing version 0.9.3 which they downloaded before this post on March 3, 2010, please re-download. The bug is that the UFO never appears again if it shoots you. To get him back you have to reset the game. This bug is now fixed in the current version. I didn't want to wait until the next release.

Well Done!

It wouldn't have to be ported specifically to the Wii. Just port it to an exisiting PC emulator (Atari 2600/7800/NES/Coleco, etc - oddly, there's no Intellivison Wii emulator yet that I'm aware of.) Wii homebrewers have already converted the emulators, so as long as your rom image works on a PC emulator, it' work on the Wii.

Or how 'bout configuring optional joystick controls for the PC?

But I'm no programmer, so I can't imagine the amount of work this might require.

Anyway, whatever you decide, keep up the good work!!

Edited by radiohead

Right - well that's where you sort of lose track. Porting to another emulator (system) is probably just as hard if not harder - basically you're asking him to convert it to an old platform, which wouldn't have the feature sets he uses in the game.

That's why I mentioned SDL - if you look carefully at the emulators supported on the Wii, a vast majority of them leverage SDL. Someone wrote the original emulator with SDL, and then porting to other systems is far easier than writing to the base platform. It's sort of a common functionality layer that manages graphics and sounds.

-H

Well Done!

It wouldn't have to be ported specifically to the Wii. Just port it to an exisiting PC emulator (Atari 2600/7800/NES/Coleco, etc - oddly, there's no Intellivison Wii emulator yet that I'm aware of.) Wii homebrewers have already converted the emulators, so as long as your rom image works on a PC emulator, it' work on the Wii.

Or how 'bout configuring optional joystick controls for the PC?

But I'm no programmer, so I can't imagine the amount of work this might require.

Anyway, whatever you decide, keep up the good work!!

• 2 weeks later...

You're pegging the "Coolness" meter with the joystick action! (P.S. Thanks for using my "too damn cool" quote on your website!)

I see in your readme file that:

Joystick [if enabled]

B1: Shoot

B2: Deploy Squadron

B3: Autofire On/Off

This being an Atari forum, I'm playing your game using the USB classic Atari Joystick from Legacy Engineering (D pad joystick, 1 fire "B" button). Autofire and Deploy Squadron are still controled via keyboard.

Joystick movement works "left" and "right" well enough. Is there anyway to configure so that autofire can be activiated by pointing the joystick "up" (or just holding down the fire button) and deploy squadron by pointing "down" or some similar control? It's hard to use keyboard once the game starts and your using a joystick like this.

But I fully understand this is a multibutton arcade game, so what you're doing is rockin'!

If I'm asking too much, I'll just shut up now and keep playing.

------

EDIT - My son is learning to program simple video games using a program called "Scratch". But Scratch doesn't support joystick input. So he found a program called "JoyToKey" (maybe everyone has heard about this except for me) that maps joystick positions to key strokes.

Well, I just installed/configured that program to work with Astrosmash as I suggested above and it works.

So if you decide against any special Atari joystick configuring, I'll happily play this way.

Edited by radiohead

radiohead: Thanks for the feedback and the interest. About the joystick, I guess I never thought anyone these days would have a joystick with less than 3 buttons haha(even the nes controllers had 4 including the start/select). What I'm going to add in the next release is the ability to switch to auto-fire by holding down the fire button for a second. But I can't do much more. I think that if you could push up or down to trigger the squadrons, it would be too easy to accidentally push those directions when not intended. This way, at least everybody with 2-button joysticks can now have full control. What I'll do about all of you 1-button joystick gamers is to add a link to this JoytoKey utility so you can configure it that way if you want. Anyways, always glad to hear someone's enjoying this game. Remember to submit those high scores ;)

why dont you remake of your remake and put it on a cart dude!

An atari cart? That would be impossible without completely remaking it into something less than what it is.

I'm pretty sure Rev was looking for an INTV cart, not 2600. He's a fellow INTV nut. icon_mrgreen.gif By the way, if it's possible to come up with a cart version for INTV, you have my $$$.icon_shades.gif