IGNORED

Making the Man Cave

akator

• 1 month later...

The cabinets are finally close to being finished.

Here are the last two cabinets, primed and ready for painting. Those are 4' x 4' x 22"... it's a little difficult to appreciate their size in the photo.

post-20305-129290421617_thumb.jpg

The console shelves still have to be primed... but that should be done this week.

post-20305-129290414392_thumb.jpg

Edited by akator

• 4 weeks later...

Finally. The painting is done. The console shelves are mounted.

post-20305-129514655345_thumb.jpg

post-20305-129514660382_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, the sorry-ass paint I used will take weeks to cure. I can't start unpacking or using any of it for some time. I learned this the hard way when I put a brand new paintbrush, still in plastic, onto one of the painted shelves after weeks of drying. The plastic "glued" to the shelf and ripped paint off. As much as it sucks, I can't actually put anything on the furniture for a while yet.

A few weeks ago, while I waited for paint to dry, I cleaned and resorted all of my tools and setup a tool closet.

post-20305-129514724501_thumb.jpg

Next I will set up a closet with utility shelves for game storage, then my desks and computer.

I will post again when I start getting the games and computers unpacked. After all, that's why I built all of this in the first place :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You are a god among men sir. Do you know how many men in today's world can't even fathom doing a thing like that?!? Build it ourselves? What? Hard work? What? Dedication? The know-how? It seems simple to you probably because you've been doing it all your life but I admire you sir. I know so many wusses and sissies that have no idea how to build something of quality with their own two hands. Good for you man!

• Like 1

You are a god among men sir. Do you know how many men in today's world can't even fathom doing a thing like that?!? Build it ourselves? What? Hard work? What? Dedication? The know-how? It seems simple to you probably because you've been doing it all your life but I admire you sir. I know so many wusses and sissies that have no idea how to build something of quality with their own two hands. Good for you man!

Aw, shucks. Thank you for the compliment. Now if only I could find the time this week to unpack some consoles and put that furniture to its intended use ;)

• 1 year later...

Finally... the Man Cave is almost finished. The furniture I built is working well. I have setup the current systems, and the only thing left is the "emulation station" which still needs some work.

Wall with 2 closets (unused gas fireplace, tools and game storage in closets), neon and signs, PSP games:

post-20305-0-58893200-1344046898_thumb.jpg post-20305-0-58273500-1344046962_thumb.jpg

2x console cabinets with systems. Closest cabinet has 2 CRTs, Dreamcast, PSX, N64, Saturn, Genesis Model 2/CD/32X, Genesis Model 1. Everything is switchable to video recording on computer, either CRT can show any system on the switchbox. Next cabinet over is the emulation station (not completely finished) with HD CRT, Game Gear (2nd shelf from bottom), and PSP (bottom shelf).

post-20305-0-79423600-1344047083_thumb.jpg

End of console cabinets and office desks with light table for artwork.

post-20305-0-91529000-1344047364_thumb.jpg

Stationary, art supplies, and electronics storage cabinet. Next over is standard shelves with software in binders, more stationary, and games stored in mini-crates. Followed by filing cabinet with routers and printers.

post-20305-0-42191800-1344047566_thumb.jpg post-20305-0-91509900-1344047736_thumb.jpg

Office desks (to back of console/emulation cabinets) with iMac G4 17" and PC.

post-20305-0-38806900-1344047841_thumb.jpg

So... there it is. It's not all of my collection, only my office & man cave with stuff setup. I can't believe it took years to get all of this finished and setup, but at least now I'm very happy with it :D

Next week I start on the emulation station, getting everything running there. I can't wait, it has been some time since I've had a good MAME fest. Plus, I haven't played my X-Arcade much since I modded it with the spinners, so I'm really excited about that :)

When I finally get the emulation station setup, soon after that it will be time to make my projects out of Crazy Climber's awesome video game tiles to hang on the walls... and hang some of the awesome retail artwork I have :)

Edited by akator
  • Like 1

The emulation station isn't that fancy... I've got:

• an HD CRT via HDMI and a PC running Windows 7
  • an X-Arcade Tankstick (2 player with trackball) modded with spinners for each player
  • 2x Saturn styled USB controllers
  • 2x PSX styled USB controllers
  • USB adapter for4x PSX controllers (just in case, not used unless needed)
  • USB PC driving wheel
  • 2x arcade guns USB light guns that work on any screen (including LCD and plasma)
  • keyboard and mouse

The issue is getting everything to work together. Windows recognizes all of the controllers, but not all of the emulators recognize all of the inputs. It'll take some time, but I'm sure it will all be working (eventually) :)

Edited by akator
  • Like 1

I actually forgot to mention...

The HD CRT is a massive PITA. I've had it perfectly setup many times, then there is a video driver update which screws everything. Every time that happens, the CRT geometry gets screwed even though it shouldn't because there were no computer settings involved, only CRT tweaks.

After doing this many, many times I am no longer fighting with the CRT. I have new CRT "service" settings, which always work the PC regardless, but unfortunately those CRT settings are not ideal. They're OK, but the settings don't match my demands. Perhaps some time in the future there will be fewer video card updates, and I will get the CRT exactly as I want... then stop doing updates and tweak the CRT through "service" setting and be able to leave it alone for good :)

I love CRTs for many reasons, but after fighting with this HD model every time the video drivers are updated, I am almost ready to switch to LCD-LED or plasma. I really hoped that using a CRT would make old games more like they used to be. That actually happens for the few weeks between video driver updates, then it takes at least an hour to deal with the HD CRT service settings and get things right again. That is way too much work for simply playing some games, because by the time I get the CRT done I don't want to play anymore...

• 2 weeks later...

That is a LOT of PSP games in one place... wow. Do you play all of those mobile or at home? I've never seen anyone with that many PSP games before.

:-o :)

:D I'm mostly a cranky hermit... helped by the fact that I work from home 99% of the time. When we do get away, I bring the PSP and a few games... but most of the time I play them at home. The PSP is great for when my wife is watching some kind of chick flick, or when she is shopping for clothes or shoes, and then I can "be patient" for the hours required ;)

That is a LOT of PSP games in one place... wow. Do you play all of those mobile or at home? I've never seen anyone with that many PSP games before.

:-o :)

:D I'm mostly a cranky hermit... helped by the fact that I work from home 99% of the time. When we do get away, I bring the PSP and a few games... but most of the time I play them at home. The PSP is great for when my wife is watching some kind of chick flick, or when she is shopping for clothes or shoes, and then I can "be patient" for the hours required ;)

Right on... the reason I ask is because (I'm 6'2, and have lanky fingers) my hands get tired playing the unit for 30+ mins, most handhelds actually. I plan on playing the majority of my PSP collection on a big screen. Thanks for sharing, your PSP C. is massive. Favorite top 5 PSP titles??? :D

Edited by Protoplasym

Right on... the reason I ask is because (I'm 6'2, and have lanky fingers) my hands get tired playing the unit for 30+ mins, most handhelds actually. I plan on playing the majority of my PSP collection on a big screen. Thanks for sharing, your PSP C. is massive. Favorite top 5 PSP titles??? :D

You should check out some of the handle grips for the PSP -- they basically add PlayStation-like handles onto the handheld and definitely improve the comfort for long gaming sessions.

I'm not sure I could pick a PSP top 5... but you can read what I think about 80% of the PSP games I've played here. That's only about 1/3 of the games I own, though. I've been buying them when I see a good deal so I have tons of PSP games to play for years to come. There's also a lot of PSP stuff not shown like bags, retail displays, extra NIB handhelds, accessories, etc.. I haven't figured out the best way to display everything, so for now I'm just focusing on useability instead :)

I also have a ton of controllers, bags, and accessories for the PSX, Dreamcast, Game Gear, and Genesis... but like the PSP items I haven't figured out how to do anything with them except good storage and making them as accessible as possible for use :(

Edited by akator

You should check out some of the handle grips for the PSP -- they basically add PlayStation-like handles onto the handheld and definitely improve the comfort for long gaming sessions.

I'm not sure I could pick a PSP top 5... but you can read what I think about 80% of the PSP games I've played here. That's only about 1/3 of the games I own, though. I've been buying them when I see a good deal so I have tons of PSP games to play for years to come. There's also a lot of PSP stuff not shown like bags, retail displays, extra NIB handhelds, accessories, etc.. I haven't figured out the best way to display everything, so for now I'm just focusing on useability instead :)

I also have a ton of controllers, bags, and accessories for the PSX, Dreamcast, Game Gear, and Genesis... but like the PSP items I haven't figured out how to do anything with them except good storage and making them as accessible as possible for use :(

Yeah, I've been wanting to secure some 'handles' of some kind for my PSP, the GBA, and anything else that needs it... thanks for the suggestion, I definitely concur with that sentiment.

I just clicked on your amazing review page... that is baaaaad for me :P it's making me wanna do some Wantlist work while I'm at work and that's no good... because that doesn't work. :D

I'm going to look over your review page in depth, thank you for taking the time to do such lovely, short, and what appear to be super insightful reviews! Right up my alley! :thumbsup: :)

I just clicked on your amazing review page... that is baaaaad for me :P it's making me wanna do some Wantlist work while I'm at work and that's no good... because that doesn't work. :D

I'm going to look over your review page in depth, thank you for taking the time to do such lovely, short, and what appear to be super insightful reviews! Right up my alley! :thumbsup: :)

Glad you liked the review page... there's a lot more to add, but other things have taken priority this year. There just isn't enough time in each day ;)

Glad you liked the review page... there's a lot more to add, but other things have taken priority this year. There just isn't enough time in each day ;)

I noticed you feel that quite a large number of titles are average. I disagreed with the majority of your assessments on those. :)

I respect gamers with high standards, but giving the Capcom Comp an average rating was pretty harsh imo. :P Such a badass comp.

Finally... the Man Cave is almost finished. The furniture I built is working well. I have setup the current systems, and the only thing left is the "emulation station" which still needs some work.

Wall with 2 closets (unused gas fireplace, tools and game storage in closets), neon and signs, PSP games:

post-20305-0-58893200-1344046898_thumb.jpg post-20305-0-58273500-1344046962_thumb.jpg

2x console cabinets with systems. Closest cabinet has 2 CRTs, Dreamcast, PSX, N64, Saturn, Genesis Model 2/CD/32X, Genesis Model 1. Everything is switchable to video recording on computer, either CRT can show any system on the switchbox. Next cabinet over is the emulation station (not completely finished) with HD CRT, Game Gear (2nd shelf from bottom), and PSP (bottom shelf).

post-20305-0-79423600-1344047083_thumb.jpg

End of console cabinets and office desks with light table for artwork.

post-20305-0-91529000-1344047364_thumb.jpg

Stationary, art supplies, and electronics storage cabinet. Next over is standard shelves with software in binders, more stationary, and games stored in mini-crates. Followed by filing cabinet with routers and printers.

post-20305-0-42191800-1344047566_thumb.jpg post-20305-0-91509900-1344047736_thumb.jpg

Office desks (to back of console/emulation cabinets) with iMac G4 17" and PC.

post-20305-0-38806900-1344047841_thumb.jpg

So... there it is. It's not all of my collection, only my office & man cave with stuff setup. I can't believe it took years to get all of this finished and setup, but at least now I'm very happy with it :D

Next week I start on the emulation station, getting everything running there. I can't wait, it has been some time since I've had a good MAME fest. Plus, I haven't played my X-Arcade much since I modded it with the spinners, so I'm really excited about that :)

When I finally get the emulation station setup, soon after that it will be time to make my projects out of Crazy Climber's awesome video game tiles to hang on the walls... and hang some of the awesome retail artwork I have :)

Where'd you get the crates? I could use a dozen or so of those.

I noticed you feel that quite a large number of titles are average. I disagreed with the majority of your assessments on those. :)

I respect gamers with high standards, but giving the Capcom Comp an average rating was pretty harsh imo. :P Such a badass comp.

Reviewing games is an interesting hobby ;) "Average" isn't a bad rating... and many "average" titles are some of my personal favorites. Being a personal favorite doesn't make a game excellent, though -- it just means I like it. Many games that I've been sucked into, like Go Sudoku or Gunpey, have a lot of flaws that I'm willing to personally overlook but prevent me from giving stellar ratings.

For most of the arcade compilations, including the Capcom titles, I am unable to get past the control problems almost all of these collections have on the PSP. Part of the problem is the PSP layout, part is the physical controller hardware, part is poor adaptation by the developers to the PSP controls. Regardless, I found massive dissatisfaction trying to play many arcade games. These problems are not insurmountable, as proven by Taito Legends which controls well -- and at the opposite end of the spectrum is Atari Classics. The Capcom games look and sound great, but IMO the controls are still too imprecise. Midway plays well, but when scaled up looks like ass.

When your tried-and-true moves, tricks, and combos are all but impossible to execute... to me that means something is flawed. The physical PSP controls are part of the problem, but the other (and I think larger) issue is developer laziness to fine-tune their games to the PSP. This was evident throughout the PSP's life, especially with PSP ports of games released on other systems. I don't think the developers had the desire to do anything more than what was "good enough" for titles released across multiple systems... and unfortunately, that applies to most of the arcade compilations which were released on every system available at the time. It has been proved many times that the PSP controls are not inherently impossible to use for arcade gaming, so I can only conclude there was a lack of developer desire to make some titles control better...

Where'd you get the crates? I could use a dozen or so of those.

The crates the PSP games are in came from Dollar Tree about a year ago. Unfortunately, I don't think they sell them any more. Sterilite makes something similar, but more expensive, and I've been using those for other games. Last time I picked some up from both Walmart and Target, and IIRC they were about $1.50 each.

• Like 1

Reviewing games is an interesting hobby ;) "Average" isn't a bad rating... and many "average" titles are some of my personal favorites. Being a personal favorite doesn't make a game excellent, though -- it just means I like it. Many games that I've been sucked into, like Go Sudoku or Gunpey, have a lot of flaws that I'm willing to personally overlook but prevent me from giving stellar ratings.

For most of the arcade compilations, including the Capcom titles, I am unable to get past the control problems almost all of these collections have on the PSP. Part of the problem is the PSP layout, part is the physical controller hardware, part is poor adaptation by the developers to the PSP controls. Regardless, I found massive dissatisfaction trying to play many arcade games. These problems are not insurmountable, as proven by Taito Legends which controls well -- and at the opposite end of the spectrum is Atari Classics. The Capcom games look and sound great, but IMO the controls are still too imprecise. Midway plays well, but when scaled up looks like ass.

When your tried-and-true moves, tricks, and combos are all but impossible to execute... to me that means something is flawed. The physical PSP controls are part of the problem, but the other (and I think larger) issue is developer laziness to fine-tune their games to the PSP. This was evident throughout the PSP's life, especially with PSP ports of games released on other systems. I don't think the developers had the desire to do anything more than what was "good enough" for titles released across multiple systems... and unfortunately, that applies to most of the arcade compilations which were released on every system available at the time. It has been proved many times that the PSP controls are not inherently impossible to use for arcade gaming, so I can only conclude there was a lack of developer desire to make some titles control better...

You explain yourself extremely well, and have your points laid out in clear and easy to understand language. I see that you harp on the control aspect more than anything, and I'm left pondering that thought.... how much better can the controls be for old arcade games?

Anything on the Capcom Classics Comp for example: if the D-Pad makes a character go in said direction, reliably w/no discernible lag, then is the control properly optimized or is there something else that should/needs to be done in order to "pefect" the control schemes? I'm curious what you mean by "bad controls" in more specific terms.

You mention not being able to perform certain combos, I assume you're referring to fighter games... well, I'm not surprised as Sony has (imho) never made a D-Pad that's condusive to playing fighters. I think to have the expectation that classic games (that were predominately controlled with D-Pads or strong arcade sticks) are going to control/feel the same as their arcade originals, is unrealistic.... 'unless' there are specifc control parameters/requirements you have for said games that I'm unaware of.

(interesting convo for me, thks)

:)

Of course, I agree it is unrealistic to think any handheld could perfectly reproduce arcade controls. Some games are obviously better suited for conversion, like Ghosts n Goblins. Others will never be able to get a 10/10... maze games like Pac-Man need a real joystick to experience the nuances and techniques possible in the game... Pong with a joystick simply can't be perfect, etc.. However, the controls can be optimized as best as possible. If we accept that some game controls cannot be literally translated, that opens an entire new world of possibilities.

A perfect example of this is the tried-and-true Defender adaptation for home consoles in the 80s that is still used today. No reverse button, but the joystick direction controls both thrust and direction. It's not accurate to the arcade, and it's not perfect, but it works pretty well and makes Defender very playable on a handheld.

Another possibility... adjust the dead zones and sensitivity of the analog nub to be best for each individual game. There's no reason why the analog input should react the same when playing Pong and Centipede, especially when those machines didn't even use the same input hardware. I think that if developers had paid a little more attention to the nuances of the source material and the destination hardware, the end results would have been a little better. Sure, it would still be impossible to give Centipede a 10/10 on the PSP, but at least it would be better than the 4/10 I would currently give to the version in Atari Classics Evolved...

Of course, I agree it is unrealistic to think any handheld could perfectly reproduce arcade controls. Some games are obviously better suited for conversion, like Ghosts n Goblins. Others will never be able to get a 10/10... maze games like Pac-Man need a real joystick to experience the nuances and techniques possible in the game... Pong with a joystick simply can't be perfect, etc.. However, the controls can be optimized as best as possible. If we accept that some game controls cannot be literally translated, that opens an entire new world of possibilities.

A perfect example of this is the tried-and-true Defender adaptation for home consoles in the 80s that is still used today. No reverse button, but the joystick direction controls both thrust and direction. It's not accurate to the arcade, and it's not perfect, but it works pretty well and makes Defender very playable on a handheld.

Another possibility... adjust the dead zones and sensitivity of the analog nub to be best for each individual game. There's no reason why the analog input should react the same when playing Pong and Centipede, especially when those machines didn't even use the same input hardware. I think that if developers had paid a little more attention to the nuances of the source material and the destination hardware, the end results would have been a little better. Sure, it would still be impossible to give Centipede a 10/10 on the PSP, but at least it would be better than the 4/10 I would currently give to the version in Atari Classics Evolved...

That is a brilliant point, and I see what you're talking about now... spot on! I didn't think about how important calibration can be for the Analog stick, you're completely on point with regard to that!

right on, I concur 100% - if the Devs had taken the time to give each title some specific TLC on the controls, there's no telling how much more solid some of those old games would feel.

:thumbsup: