IGNORED

Short and Sweet (SSGC) contest

Opry99er

I'm fine either way. My preferences is to do the SSGC book first, since it ties in nicely with the compilation disk, and then start a new project where everyone can start submit their own COMPUTE! style programs and articles. I think that would make a fantastic project of its own, and would benefit from being freed of the 30/10 constraint of the competition.

Meanwhile, the SSGC book is looking like it will be at least 40 pages. The code listings for the progs take two pages each, so it adds up quickly. :)

I am cool with whatever you guys want to do. :) I say majority should rule... It's not my project anymore. :) I will print and distribute the product, but I don't think it's my place to say what should be. However, if this is to be an SSGC compilation, it cannot include games that were not entered into the SSGC contest. If you guys wanna go bigger and do something bigger than just the SSGC, I think that is a cool idea. You guys just need to decide whether you wanna go for an SSGC compendium or a 30/30 compendium.

Sounds to me like it should be left as-is. It'd have to at least mention the contest as over half of its entries would come from that starting point, so it may be best to do as Codex just said, do this one, and then move on to something else.

Quick, must post before the board crashes again! :)

Here's an updated sampling of the manual, this time with code listings. This thing is easily going to be a 64-page book now. Since there is more than one page per game, I've moved the programmer's name to the second page. Might have to move it back though if the odd-number-of-pages-per-game makes it look crappy when printed.

Let me know if the fonts are too big or too small or just right, baby bears.

Ta!

TI_Manual_demo2.pdf

PS - All programs have been RESEQUENCE'd 100, 10 before pasting into the book, and I added spaces after all the commas so that lines would wrap nicely. Hope this doesn't screw up any code by making the lines too long to enter. :ponder:

Edited by The Codex

Here's an updated sampling of the manual, this time with code listings. This thing is easily going to be a 64-page book now. Since there is more than one page per game, I've moved the programmer's name to the second page. Might have to move it back though if the odd-number-of-pages-per-game makes it look crappy when printed.

Ta!

TI_Manual_demo2.pdf

PS - All programs have been RESEQUENCE'd 100, 10 before pasting into the book, and I added spaces after all the commas so that lines would wrap nicely. Hope this doesn't screw up any code by making the lines too long to enter. :ponder:

Looks fantastic! However, I still think we need to have color screen shots in order to really do justice to the games. My 2 cents.

I'm not sure of the size of the book but have you considered mimicking how Micropendium and some of the TI columnists listed their code, in 28-column format, like a newspaper with multiple columns? Just a thought. It might conserve space and it has the added benefit of lining up a program as it would look on a TI. Granted, the programs are on disk so no one should have to re-enter the code... but it might give you flexibility for the book. No matter what you select, it's a cool idea and looks great :))

How about program listings like this

>100 OPTION BASE 1::CALL SCREEN(2)::CALL CLEAR::SC=0::LF=3::LVL=1::FX=3
    ::FY=2::DIM X(10)::DIM Y(10)::DIM H(4)::DIM V(4)
>110 H(1)=-1::V(1)=0::H(2)=1::V(2)=0::H(3)=0::V(3)=1::H(4)=0::V(4)=-1::
    PT=100::GRD=100::PIL=104::FLY=112::SPD=120
>120 FOR C=1 TO 8::CALL COLOR(C,15,1)::NEXT C::CALL COLOR(9,6,1)::CALL
    COLOR(10,9,1)::CALL COLOR(11,11,1)::CALL COLOR(12,4,1)
>130 READ GRD$,PIL$,FLY$,SPD$::CALL CHAR(GRD,GRD$)::CALL CHAR(PIL,PIL$)
    ::CALL CHAR(FLY,FLY$)::CALL CHAR(SPD,SPD$)
>140 CALL CLEAR::READ RN::RANDOMIZE RN::FOR I=1 TO 11::CALL HCHAR(INT(
    RND*22)+2,INT(RND*32)+1,GRD,INT(RND*16)+::NEXT I
>150 FOR I=1 TO 11::CALL VCHAR(INT(RND*22)+2,INT(RND*32)+1,GRD,INT(
    RND*12)+9)::NEXT I

:)

If we're gonna go color... that'd rock. Of course, nobody is going to be typing these in, so... Maybe we could go "impossible to read" like the OLD 99'er Magazine before they "fixed it". Dark, bold font with vertical lines between chars. It was a total mess and led to tons of keying errors, especially in DATA statements. That'd be really retro & authentic. Maybe you could add smudges too!

>100 OPTION BASE 1::CALL SCREEN(2)::CALL CLEAR::SC=0::LF=3::LVL=1::FX=3
::FY=2::DIM X(10)::DIM Y(10)::DIM H(4)::DIM V(4)
>110 H(1)=-1::V(1)=0::H(2)=1::V(2)=0::H(3)=0::V(3)=1::H(4)=0::V(4)=-1::
PT=100::GRD=100::PIL=104::FLY=112::SPD=120
>120 FOR C=1 TO 8::CALL COLOR(C,15,1)::NEXT C::CALL COLOR(9,6,1)::CALL
COLOR(10,9,1)::CALL COLOR(11,11,1)::CALL COLOR(12,4,1)
>130 READ GRD$,PIL$,FLY$,SPD$::CALL CHAR(GRD,GRD$)::CALL CHAR(PIL,PIL$)
::CALL CHAR(FLY,FLY$)::CALL CHAR(SPD,SPD$)
>140 CALL CLEAR::READ RN::RANDOMIZE RN::FOR I=1 TO 11::CALL HCHAR(INT(
RND*22)+2,INT(RND*32)+1,GRD,INT(RND*16)+::NEXT I
>150 FOR I=1 TO 11::CALL VCHAR(INT(RND*22)+2,INT(RND*32)+1,GRD,INT(
RND*12)+9)::NEXT I

:)

If we're gonna go color... that'd rock. Of course, nobody is going to be typing these in, so... Maybe we could go "impossible to read" like the OLD 99'er Magazine before they "fixed it". Dark, bold font with vertical lines between chars. It was a total mess and led to tons of keying errors, especially in DATA statements. That'd be really retro & authentic. Maybe you could add smudges too!

Oh yeah. A few misprints and one missing line. Awesome ! :lol:

Once again we are on a spookily similar wavelength. :) I've considered doing that, and I might still, though it takes it away from the look of the original manuals. It's nicer on the eyes, certainly. Likewise, the two-column approach may work out as well.

I can certainly recreate the feel of the original type-ins by strategically omitting and mistyping content. Then we can include a separate sheet of errata in the book, which contains at least one error itself. ;)

Just wanted to let you guys know I updated Opry99er to include the winners of the contest. I also put up a new video of the week and a new game of the week. The video is an Assembly demo montage by sometimes99er.... shows the most amazing stuff I've ever seen in the 99xx family. Head on over

http://www.Opry99er.com