IGNORED

Short and Sweet (SSGC) contest

Opry99er

Yea man--- that's happenin. We've already talked about doing it. I am going to personally mail all the contestants a copy of said compilation, and I will make it available on 5.25 or 3.5 at the Faire. :). I have already got a file going now with all the games and instructions. It'll be real nice. FIAD,TIFILES format is preferred over a .DSK image--- as the image must be extracted and moved over to the real deal... That's why I suggested we all work in Classic99. :)

Edited by Opry99er

• 2 weeks later...

Just about 3 weeks left in the competition!!!! We have some late entries coming in from what I hear... :) Although, there are a few of these 30 liners that exist already that I've seen that I cannot BELIEVE!!!! Such talent you guys have with a shoe-horn!! Anyway--- proud of you guys. Keep 'em comin'. Your NEXT game may be your best and MIGHT become the winner of the CF7+!!!

I don't know if you all have seen Codex's box and cover art mockups for the contest entries, but they are freakin GREAT!!! :) We might have us a little contest for who can come up with the best cover art for the winning game!!! :)

Edited by Opry99er

After scrapping my first game attempt because I was never too happy with the sprite coincidences, I shamelessly stole the concept of the cell phone game Throttle Copter and created Gravity Run. I will be uploading it to this forum shortly and will represent my official entry. That was definitely a fun exercise :)

Walid

Definitely hooked.

Since it's open source, I made a few improvements...

In UR Gamez Hackin UR Codez

I switched the loop doing CALL COINC from a loop to just check ALL...

And the collision checks for the walls are a bit aggressive...

Games like this are pixel accurate, so when walking the line / cutting things close - it's frustrating to die when you didn't :)

Changed Y<50 to Y<49

Changed Y>110 to Y>113

-Howie

Edited by unhuman

I had initially tried coinc ALL but found that one was literally halfway through an obstacle before detection occurred. Since I am checking collision for only 2 sprites, I figured I could refine the collision detection by checking each individually without a significant hit on performance.

As for the walls, it has been a little difficult to fine tune, but I will try your numbers and see if there is an improvement. As you said, we are only talking a few pixels here, but they do make a difference when cutting it close to the walls.

Walid

Definitely hooked.

Since it's open source, I made a few improvements...

In UR Gamez Hackin UR Codez

I switched the loop doing CALL COINC from a loop to just check ALL...

And the collision checks for the walls are a bit aggressive...

Games like this are pixel accurate, so when walking the line / cutting things close - it's frustrating to die when you didn't :)

Changed Y<50 to Y<49

Changed Y>110 to Y>113

-Howie

Yeah - I am more likely to forgive a late, but correct COINC than a WTF I didn't hit that mofo... But that's just me.

Level advance - changing colors. Like that.

-H

I had initially tried coinc ALL but found that one was literally halfway through an obstacle before detection occurred. Since I am checking collision for only 2 sprites, I figured I could refine the collision detection by checking each individually without a significant hit on performance.

As for the walls, it has been a little difficult to fine tune, but I will try your numbers and see if there is an improvement. As you said, we are only talking a few pixels here, but they do make a difference when cutting it close to the walls.

Walid

I tested your suggested modifications, and the wall detection parameters you suggested are good. Using coinc ALL works very well, however at the higher levels when the obstacles speed up, collisions get missed much more frequently. I found that checking individual coincidences but reducing the tolerance from 25 to 20 gives essentially equivalent results as coinc ALL except that collision detection does not degrade as much at higher levels.

Is it allowed to resubmit the program with the above mentioned modifications considering that the game itself is unchanged otherwise?

Walid

Yeah - I am more likely to forgive a late, but correct COINC than a WTF I didn't hit that mofo... But that's just me.

Level advance - changing colors. Like that.

-H

Walid

Walid--- No entries are final until the 15th of this month. You may modify it 300 times if you wish. I didn't see if you posted your game to the official "entries" thread or not, but please do that before the 15th. It will make my job alot easier if everyone does that. Also, Albert was kind enough to make file uploads "changable," so if you post your game to the official thread and modify it later, please change it on that thread. I will be DLing all entries from that thread in the form they have on midnight of the 15th--- so if anyone else makes changes to their games, I'm just asking that they have the most current version attached to that thread. Other than that, I love your game! :) Keep rockin in the free world!!

I'm not the owner, but I can't see any issue with you updating your game... The contest isn't over. Just edit your post :)

Just wait until you see my update bomb I'm going to drop on Inaccurate Invaders on 4/15... Just kidding. :)

-H

Is it allowed to resubmit the program with the above mentioned modifications considering that the game itself is unchanged otherwise?

Walid

Great! I have uploaded the adjusted the version.

Walid

Walid--- No entries are final until the 15th of this month. You may modify it 300 times if you wish. I didn't see if you posted your game to the official "entries" thread or not, but please do that before the 15th. It will make my job alot easier if everyone does that. Also, Albert was kind enough to make file uploads "changable," so if you post your game to the official thread and modify it later, please change it on that thread. I will be DLing all entries from that thread in the form they have on midnight of the 15th--- so if anyone else makes changes to their games, I'm just asking that they have the most current version attached to that thread. Other than that, I love your game! :) Keep rockin in the free world!!

Hi.

Can anyone here explain to me the function of the CALL LOAD calls in Marc's awesome Lunar Rescue game? I can't seem to make sense of them...

Walid

I think it might be something like this ...

After CALL INIT

Disable FCTN QUIT, sound processing and auto sprite motion

CALL LOAD(-31806,128)

Disable auto sprite motion

CALL LOAD(-31806,64)

Disable auto sound processing

CALL LOAD(-31806,32)

Disable FCTN QUIT

CALL LOAD(-31806,16)

Restore all of the above

CALL LOAD(-31806,0)

ref.:

Amarillo newsletter

Computer! feedback

:cool:

Very nice. I will add them to my XB toolkit. Thanks for the clarification :)

Walid

Hi.

Can anyone here explain to me the function of the CALL LOAD calls in Marc's awesome Lunar Rescue game? I can't seem to make sense of them...

Walid

I think it might be something like this ...

After CALL INIT

Disable FCTN QUIT, sound processing and auto sprite motion

CALL LOAD(-31806,128)

Disable auto sprite motion

CALL LOAD(-31806,64)

Disable auto sound processing

CALL LOAD(-31806,32)

Disable FCTN QUIT

CALL LOAD(-31806,16)

Restore all of the above

CALL LOAD(-31806,0)

ref.:

Amarillo newsletter

Computer! feedback

:cool:

You can enter as many games as you want--- Hull and Codex entered 3 a piece (so far). However, only one will be granted a prize--- for instance, if you enter "Badass game #1" and "Badass game #2" and they're the two best games in the contest, only one will be granted one of the three prizes. First prize is the CF7. Second and third prizes haven't been announced yet. :) But they will be soon. Good luck!

Okay race fans, we're in the Home stretch!!! 3 days to finish your new games, modify existing ones, and put the most up-to-date versions on the entries thread. So far, we have 14 entries on the page, all of which are of excellent quality!!! I would love to see more game contests pop up later on--- I think the next one is already set--- Crap Games, hosted by Mark Wills... :) The 30 liner I wrote will be entered there instead of here, as it is complete and total crap! :) This has been alot of fun, and I'm glad you all have taken the time to write these games. If nobody objects, I will be posting these to my website on a dedicated page and giving out an SSGC diskette at the Faire this year. Of course all your games will have proper documentation and accreditation. Thanks again guys, and let's see if we can cram a few more features into those games before the deadline-- April 15th, midnight. Good luck!

Edited by Opry99er

Thanks man,

you've really inspired some great activity for this - I can speak that it dragged me back in to developing for the TI again. I'm still amazed at how much you can do with so little. Unfortunately, my next submission which I was hoping would suck didn't suck enough, yet is too long for this competition... So, I think you all can expect a free-bee from me in a week or so.

Back to crap-game... I don't think anyone could possibly beat the "press the button before the computer does" game. I mean, c'mon, how could you possibly suck more?

-H

Okay race fans, we're in the Home stretch!!! 3 days to finish your new games, modify existing ones, and put the most up-to-date versions on the entries thread. So far, we have 14 entries on the page, all of which are of excellent quality!!! I would love to see more game contests pop up later on--- I think the next one is already set--- Crap Games, hosted by Mark Wills... :) The 30 liner I wrote will be entered there instead of here, as it is complete and total crap! :) This has been alot of fun, and I'm glad you all have taken the time to write these games. If nobody objects, I will be posting these to my website on a dedicated page and giving out an SSGC diskette at the Faire this year. Of course all your games will have proper documentation and accreditation. Thanks again guys, and let's see if we can cram a few more features into those games before the deadline-- April 15th, midnight. Good luck!

Edited by unhuman

You haven't seen mine--- and the MAZE game with the mouse!!! That was f***ing HORRIBLY delicious!!!

And thanks for your words man. I love this computer and I love being an activist for it. You guys have actually inspired ME to get my ass in gear and finish some more games!!! Thanks!!!