IGNORED

Bombs Away!

Atarius Maximus

I forgot to copy version 37 to take home, so I'm playing version 31, thought I'd share my comments.

Seems the scanline issue (screen flicker and roll) is almost completely gone. Although, when I get to level 10 or above, I do get an occasional screen roll. Happens at random times (maybe when screen action is too fast), but also happened once when a bomb hit my city below.

I forgot to copy version 37 to take home, so I'm playing version 31, thought I'd share my comments.

Seems the scanline issue (screen flicker and roll) is almost completely gone. Although, when I get to level 10 or above, I do get an occasional screen roll. Happens at random times (maybe when screen action is too fast), but also happened once when a bomb hit my city below.

I don't remember what I did between versions 31 and 37, but it may be fixed now. I haven't tried it on real hardware yet, but when I run the breakif 262 command in stella it never stops the program.

I was trying to think of a way to use up the remaining 4K and I came up with something new for the game. Every other level (starting with level 2), you'll stop and enter one of the city buildings and have to race to defuse some bombs before they explode. Just run around the room and shoot them. If you let one explode, it takes one of your six lives away. The bombs will start to flash right before they're about to explode. There is a moving obstacle in the room that will push you back to the room's entrance if it hits you. Not sure what to call the obstacle in the room yet, I guess you could call it a motion sensing laser? Once you've cleared the room of bombs the game will continue as normal and you'll go on to the next level. I've spent quite a bit of time working on this new feature and haven't had much time to fully test this new verison to make sure there's no bugs. I just did a quick 5 minute playthrough now and it didn't seem to have any scanline issues or any other major problems, but I need to test it more. The only other change is that there are now more falling bombs in each level to clear, each level seemed to end a little too quickly before.

Also, at least for now, you can enter a city building and defuse bombs anytime you want by pressing fire on the right joystick. After clearing the room, it will take you back to the same point in the game. This was put in to make it easier for me to test that part of the game, I may remove that later.

Thanks,

Steve

bombsaway45.txt

bombsaway45.bin

Edited by Atarius Maximus

I wanted to buy that shirt, but being that the joystick is wrong I decided to boycott it. We had a thread going here on how people can't make a shirt with the correct joystick on it. My idea is to make one that says something like "The Real Representation", have the correct joystick and an AtariAge logo with all proceed going to the website.

I wanted to buy that shirt, but being that the joystick is wrong I decided to boycott it. We had a thread going here on how people can't make a shirt with the correct joystick on it. My idea is to make one that says something like "The Real Representation", have the correct joystick and an AtariAge logo with all proceed going to the website.

I didn't even notice that the joystick wasn't exactly right until you just pointed that out. Oh well, I still like the shirt, but I have to agree that a more accurate representation would have been nice. I guess "Represent" means "this joystick kind of represents a CX-40". ;)

Steve

• 1 month later...

Has anyone been playing this? Any more bugs found? I've gone over it a few times in the past month and tested it on real hardware, and it seems to be working fine. I think I'm going to call the most recently posted version (v45) the final version.

Steve

Has anyone been playing this?

Not for a while. It's not my kind of game, so I didn't play it for too long. I did notice that moving from easy to hard goes by pretty fast on the settings screen. Is it possible to slow it down a little more?

Has anyone been playing this?

Not for a while. It's not my kind of game, so I didn't play it for too long. I did notice that moving from easy to hard goes by pretty fast on the settings screen. Is it possible to slow it down a little more?

Yep, that would be a very easy change to make. :) I'll post a change soon.

I have another game almost complete that I'll be posting soon. it's complete except for audio, which is always my biggest challenge. Making music and sound effects is hard, so I always leave it until the end.

Steve

It's complete except for audio, which is always my biggest challenge. Making music and sound effects is hard, so I always leave it until the end.

It's a lot easier now:

http://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-vbb.html#music_and_sound_editor

I used that to add two sound effects to the game I'm working on so far and it seems to be working great. I might actually get a game finished.

• 6 years later...
  • 3 years later...

We'll be featuring Bombs Away LIVE on today's (Friday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Kirby 2600 (2010) by Chris Read aka atari2600land
- Keep Away by (2009) by John A. Reder aka Neuronic
- Bombs Away! (2010) by Steve Engelhardt aka Atarius Maximus
- Tennis (1981 Activision Patch Challenge) by Alan Miller

Archive Video of Stream

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 1