IGNORED

The Perfect Monitor for the Atari 8bit is?

Velcro_SP

I just set up my Atari 800 system after having boxed it for a move and some months after that. I don't plan on moving again real soon and now that I have it set up I should be able to work on my BASIC software some, and try to get Fuji Chat going, and... and...

Anyhow it occurred to me as I looked at the great picture on this C= 1702 that I found at a Goodwill store that the 1702 must be the best monitor ever for the Atari 8bit. And this is a bit ironic because Commodore was of course the great nemesis of the Atari 8bit.

Is this the accepted view, that the 1702 is the best? If not, what is the best?

post-5080-126757855124_thumb.jpg

I will jump in here and say that I got a Commodore 1702 monitor about two years ago, and once I hooked up my A8 system into it, what I saw made it feel like (for a brief moment) that I had a newer A8 computer. It's graphics were so much more sharper and defined than any TV set I ever used with it. I think the 1702 has been the agreed upon consensus of various magazine articles and online opinions for being the best. After hearing this for over a decade, when I finally got one I had to agree.

I just set up my Atari 800 system after having boxed it for a move and some months after that. I don't plan on moving again real soon and now that I have it set up I should be able to work on my BASIC software some, and try to get Fuji Chat going, and... and...

Anyhow it occurred to me as I looked at the great picture on this C= 1702 that I found at a Goodwill store that the 1702 must be the best monitor ever for the Atari 8bit. And this is a bit ironic because Commodore was of course the great nemesis of the Atari 8bit.

Well it's really a JVC monitor.

What do you mean by "best?" Best size? Best for price? If you're looking for a 13" monitor, it's excellent.

As I was looking for a unit to support both NTSC and PAL Ataris, it wasn't "best" for me, so I went with JVC TM-A13SU as recommended by a knowledgable user of this site.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/color_broch.jsp?model_id=MDL100277&feature_id=12

I got the last one from Ebay for $30 shipped. As it inputs S-video, supports PAL, is allegedly "professional quality" (whatever that means), was cheap, and I'm fine with 13" it was "best" for me.

"Absolute best" would probably be some "money is no object" large professional studio Trinitron (Ebay), advertising XXX lines of resolution or some high-end LCD.

I agree with you; the 1702 is a terrific monitor for the 8-bits.

BTW, if you want to keep your 1050 drive and those floppy disks working, I would recommend moving them further away from the monitor.

As I was looking for a unit to support both NTSC and PAL Atari's, it wasn't "best" for me, so I went with JVC TM-A13SU as recommended by a knowledgable user of this site.

http://pro.jvc.com/p...7&feature_id=12

I got the last one from Ebay for $30 shipped. As it inputs S-video, supports PAL, is allegedly "professional quality" (whatever that means), was cheap, and I'm fine with 13" it was "best" for me.

You seem to have been quite lucky. I just looking on fleabay and the ones there are far more than $30 :( I've been wanting to get one or two that are PAL compatible for some time now. Is that the only model they made that is multi-signal?

As I was looking for a unit to support both NTSC and PAL Atari's, it wasn't "best" for me, so I went with JVC TM-A13SU as recommended by a knowledgable user of this site.

You seem to have been quite lucky. I just looking on fleabay and the ones there are far more than $30 :( I've been wanting to get one or two that are PAL compatible for some time now. Is that the only model they made that is multi-signal?

I have a JVC TM-131SU I'd be willing to part with. I've never tried it on the Atari so don't know if it will work or not. If anyone can find some specs on it, I would be willing to test it to see if it would work.

I have a JVC TM-131SU I'd be willing to part with. I've never tried it on the Atari so don't know if it will work or not. If anyone can find some specs on it, I would be willing to test it to see if it would work.

Do you know if it will work with a PAL signal? For that matter does anyone know? I searched extensively and could only find: Model Description:

13 inch Color Video Monitor Model Details:

The TM-131SU is a 13" color video monitor. It is ideal for post-production and monitoring applications.

Features:

• Y/C input connector for S-VHS signals
  • Horizontal resolution exceeding 400 TV lines (S-Video)
  • Comb filter for sharp pictures and minimal dot crawling
  • Dual composite video (BNC) and audio (RCA) inputs

Do you know if it will work with a PAL signal? For that matter does anyone know? I searched extensively and could only find: Model Description:

13 inch Color Video Monitor Model Details:

The TM-131SU is a 13" color video monitor. It is ideal for post-production and monitoring applications.

Features:

• Y/C input connector for S-VHS signals
  • Horizontal resolution exceeding 400 TV lines (S-Video)
  • Comb filter for sharp pictures and minimal dot crawling
  • Dual composite video (BNC) and audio (RCA) inputs

Oh yeah, it's a PAL-capable monitor. On the spec-sheet link:

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/color_broch.jsp?model_id=MDL100277&feature_id=12

Click on "Specifications" (to the left) and it says "Color system: NTSC/PAL system auto select"

I use a PAL 800XL with it; works great! Monitor will momentarily display "NTSC" or "PAL" on the screen when it switches.

If you're happy with a 13" size monitor, I don't think you can do any better than this. It's very sharp, and with the S-video connection, there's a very crisp display - artifacting (of course) does not work through this connection, but pseudo-80 columns are as sharp as they can be.

You'll need an Atari S-video cable, like the one from this seller:

eBay Seller: atari-commodore-n-morestore1?ff3=10&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

This guy sells the S-video cable for $13 and change, but he also has been selling a combination "S-video and composite" cable for $15 and change, which I do not see listed anymore. I wish I would have bought more of those; I would send him a message before buying a cable to see if he'll still sell those.

You also need "BNC-to-RCA" adapter to for this monitor - available on Ebay, cheap.

Example: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3304070665271?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=330407066527&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

As a proud new soon-to-be owner of an 800 (won one of the raffle prizes last nite!) I am not really familiar at all yet with the machine or what connectors it has. I own already a 1701 and a 1702 both picked up on a $20 Craigslist deal recently.

I am wondering what cable you are using to connect your 800 to the 1702? I have a number of random cables kicking around in my spare parts box that have some number of pins in a round DIN connection at one end and some number of colour-coded RCA male jacks at the other end and hoping one works. And as you know there are a number of connectors at the monitor end front and back of the unit so again wondering how you have them connected. Thanx in advance.

As a proud new soon-to-be owner of an 800 (won one of the raffle prizes last nite!) I am not really familiar at all yet with the machine or what connectors it has. I own already a 1701 and a 1702 both picked up on a $20 Craigslist deal recently.

I am wondering what cable you are using to connect your 800 to the 1702? I have a number of random cables kicking around in my spare parts box that have some number of pins in a round DIN connection at one end and some number of colour-coded RCA male jacks at the other end and hoping one works. And as you know there are a number of connectors at the monitor end front and back of the unit so again wondering how you have them connected. Thanx in advance.

Well! Congratulations on winning a great computer. The Atari 800 has an RF cable coming out the back, and that is okay for running to a old-TV-game-type switchbox on an old TV. However since you have the 1702 (and I suppose the 1701 is similar) you can get better image quality. The cable that you need connects to the round port that is forward on the right side of the Atari 800 (which by the way is different from the 800XL, I guess you know this). This cable has 5 bins in a crescent formation that goes towards the bottom. It extends on the other side to three (well, mine has four, dunno what's up there) RCA-type connectors. Those are chroma, luma, and audio. On the back of your 1702 you will find RCA plugs to attach them to.

Here is a picture of such a cable I found on the Internet:bccb_35.JPG

I may have an extra here somewhere that I will sell you inexpensively if you can't find one somewhere.

Well! Congratulations on winning a great computer. The Atari 800 has an RF cable coming out the back, and that is okay for running to a old-TV-game-type switchbox on an old TV. However since you have the 1702 (and I suppose the 1701 is similar) you can get better image quality. The cable that you need connects to the round port that is forward on the right side of the Atari 800 (which by the way is different from the 800XL, I guess you know this). This cable has 5 bins in a crescent formation that goes towards the bottom. It extends on the other side to three (well, mine has four, dunno what's up there) RCA-type connectors. Those are chroma, luma, and audio. On the back of your 1702 you will find RCA plugs to attach them to.

Here is a picture of such a cable I found on the Internet:bccb_35.JPG

I may have an extra here somewhere that I will sell you inexpensively if you can't find one somewhere.

I found the Atari pinout by Googling around last nite then did a continuity test on 3 different cables I have with a 5-pin round connector and looks like I am likey in business with the Commodore monitor(s).

FYI the 1701 is virtually identical on the outside to the 1702 but read somewhere that the innards are totally different. 1701 weighs in a lot heavier too.

2 of the cables have 3 RCA plugs and one has 4 (an extra black one) I also have an Amdek composite monitor stashed away too, not sure what model it is. I am so looking fwd to firing this baby up. Now looking at storage options, have been researching floppy and other 3rd party drives.

I found the Atari pinout by Googling around last nite then did a continuity test on 3 different cables I have with a 5-pin round connector and looks like I am likey in business with the Commodore monitor(s).

FYI the 1701 is virtually identical on the outside to the 1702 but read somewhere that the innards are totally different. 1701 weighs in a lot heavier too.

2 of the cables have 3 RCA plugs and one has 4 (an extra black one) I also have an Amdek composite monitor stashed away too, not sure what model it is. I am so looking fwd to firing this baby up. Now looking at storage options, have been researching floppy and other 3rd party drives.

Yah, the cable I am using actually has four RCA plugs as well. The colors didn't match the color coding on the back of the 1702, but it was light work to plug them in and check to see what functioned where. Perhaps the extra plug is straight video. That would allow the cable to function on various Commodore Amiga monitors, as well as a vast range of TV sets, however I think w. less fidelity than split chroma and luma.

You definitely a floppy drive IMO, although cartridge-based games can keep you entertained in the meantime. The 1050 is a late model Atari floppy drive that does higher capacity floppies, but there are a range of good floppy drive choices out there, at eBay or eCrater, or at one of the remaining dealers (check out the FAQ).