IGNORED

Fly Guy for the TI

The Codex

Here's my TI30 prog for the SSGC contest, Fly Guy. Includes arcade controls, five levels of play, random item placement, sounds, and the chance to win an extra life. May also include fun, quantities of which vary by user. :)

The attached ZIP contains the game and instructions text. It's designed to be dropped into the Classic99 DSK1 dir by default.

Hope you like!

EDIT: Reposted the ZIP file, discovered I had left a test variable in there that messes up the scoring. The one attached now is the correct version.

post-25494-126766317812_thumb.png

FLYGUY.zip

Edited by The Codex

Gah, new ZIP again. Shouldn't have been testing things right before posting. This fixes an error where the game ends on Level 4 instead of Level 5.

EDIT: The top post has been edited again to provide the latest version. Thanks again to Al for switching this feature on for us!

Edited by The Codex

Thanks gents, and yes, it's pretty much unplayable at normal speed. Unless you're into glacial movement. CPU Overdrive is the way to go. And there probably should be a judging factor for whether a game runs acceptably at original speed or not, since some people are able to pull that off. Not me, but hey, I freely acknowledge the genius of others. :)

Codex, this is a pretty slick little game! Your method for generating the levels is ingenious. However, some other parts of the code left me scratching my head saying "huh? why did he do it that way?" Are you interested in any critique?

Matthew

Thanks for the comment. I appreciate the offer of a code review, but I've been coding for over 25 years and tend to do things my own (unorthodox) way. Too late for me to learn good coding practices now! ;)

Mind, if I was doing this game up properly, with more latitude than 30 lines, I'd use some better logic. Not to mention I'm relearning XB all over again. But that's proving to be fun as well, so it's all good. :thumbsup:

Heh, I think I just found one of those "why is he doing this" things. I wasn't sure if XB let you READ directly into arrays, so I READ into a variable and then assign that variable to the current array item. Well, lo!, a quick experiment and you can indeed READ into an array. That's the problem with going back to BASIC from something object-oriented - you start viewing variables as volatile objects that will go out of scope if you don't do something with them.

Lesson learned! :)

Codex, this is a pretty slick little game! Your method for generating the levels is ingenious. However, some other parts of the code left me scratching my head saying "huh? why did he do it that way?" Are you interested in any critique?

Matthew

Thanks for the comment. I appreciate the offer of a code review, but I've been coding for over 25 years and tend to do things my own (unorthodox) way. Too late for me to learn good coding practices now! ;)

Mind, if I was doing this game up properly, with more latitude than 30 lines, I'd use some better logic. Not to mention I'm relearning XB all over again. But that's proving to be fun as well, so it's all good. :thumbsup:

Nope, I'd never try to change your ways, I'm set in my ways too. But in some places you are repeating a lot of code, so I could get things down to less than 30 lines easy by moving a few checks. That's all, nothing drastic. I do, however, disagree with jumping out of a FOR-NEXT loop via GOTO... heh, only in BASIC can you get away with that! ;-)

Matthew

Nope, I'd never try to change your ways, I'm set in my ways too. But in some places you are repeating a lot of code, so I could get things down to less than 30 lines easy by moving a few checks. That's all, nothing drastic. I do, however, disagree with jumping out of a FOR-NEXT loop via GOTO... heh, only in BASIC can you get away with that! ;-)

You're right on all counts, and my second game is much tighter and better coded. And I concur about the GOTOs - it makes my blood go cold to do that, and I can only excuse it by knowing that the BASIC stack is far more elastic than a "real" language's. :)

Thanks again!

Dude, that's PERFECT!!!! =) If that's not in the game, I'll shoot something. I need you to design an "non-attack" pattern SPRITE too, though man. =) One wherein the monkey is not flingin' poo.

But seriously... I like that pattern man. We could call it the "cannibal ape" or something ominous... I would say "zombie ape" but I think the zombie thing is already in full force on the TI now. I don't wanna look like a bandwagon jumper. =)

Edited by Opry99er

Dude, that's PERFECT!!!! =) If that's not in the game, I'll shoot something. I need you to design an "non-attack" pattern SPRITE too, though man. =) One wherein the monkey is not flingin' poo.

But seriously... I like that pattern man. We could call it the "cannibal ape" or something ominous... I would say "zombie ape" but I think the zombie thing is already in full force on the TI now. I don't wanna look like a bandwagon jumper. =)

Get your paws off my farm, you damn dirty ape!!