IGNORED

Free TI99 & C64 fonts

The Codex

Continuing my trend of creating things that probably already exist in better forms, I've finished up my manual recreations of the TI-99/4A and Commodore 64 BASIC fonts. They're uploaded to the Fonts page of my website and are free for the having. The only restrictions on them, and the other fonts I have created, is that they can't be reused commercially as fonts (no bundling them into font collections and selling them, for example), and if you use them in a product (free or commercial), it would be nice if you mentioned where they come from. Otherwise, go font wild. :)

• Like 1

Continuing my trend of creating things that probably already exist in better forms, I've finished up my manual recreations of the TI-99/4A and Commodore 64 BASIC fonts.

I did one too (it's on my site). Mentioned it on "the list" and that was that. :|

Do you have to use bitmap or will a ttf do with Java if you want pixel crisp display ? I think Flash can do it (haven’t really tried it yet).

Yup, you're doing something that has been done. ;-) There are a ga-jillian retro fonts out there, from all the arcade coin-ops, classic computer systems, consoles, movies (think TRON), etc. Any image of a font with characters that fit in an 8x8 matrix can be made into the character definitions for our use.

Matthew

I did one too (it's on my site). Mentioned it on "the list" and that was that. :|

Do you have to use bitmap or will a ttf do with Java if you want pixel crisp display ? I think Flash can do it (haven’t really tried it yet).

Ah, sorry about that, not trying to be competitive or anything. I just tend to do my own fonts up whenever I'm working on a project, makes the resulting game feel more like my own work. The C64 font I did a while back for Devil Ronin, and the TI font will probably go into the ToD Editor, for folks who want that old time feeling.

They're all TTF fonts. Those work fine in Java, as long as you use a corresponding font size that make the "pixels" in the font all render at the same proportions. Otherwise they end up with uneven stroke widths.

Ah, sorry about that, not trying to be competitive or anything. I just tend to do my own fonts up whenever I'm working on a project, makes the resulting game feel more like my own work. The C64 font I did a while back for Devil Ronin, and the TI font will probably go into the ToD Editor, for folks who want that old time feeling.

They're all TTF fonts. Those work fine in Java, as long as you use a corresponding font size that make the "pixels" in the font all render at the same proportions. Otherwise they end up with uneven stroke widths.

Don’t worry. It was just a bit of information. As you said elsewhere it wasn’t uncommon not to get any feedback on the list. There’s also a TTF out there with the larger TI characters (those from the menu etc.). I used Fontlab. The other guy used FontCreator (got the file, but don't know from where). What are you using ?

:)