IGNORED

ColecoVision Problem

Pyromaniac605

I've posted this before but whatever my Colecovision will only play games using Expansion Module #2 just help i dont want any bullshit answers like the powerswitch or the Power Brick if that were the case the fucking Module wouldn't work so i just want a straight up fix. And sorry if this is a bit angry but im getting really impatient.

-Darren-

I have edited the title of this topic--no reason to use profanity and please use more meaningful titles in the future.

..Al

... and people might be more inclined to help... if possible, you should check the +12V, +5V, and -5V supplies on the board. It could be the TMS9928A (the chip with the heat sink), but it could also be a severe video memory problem, or something else. What are the symptoms?

5-11under

edit: I was assuming you were getting a black screen... but as I said, what are the symptoms? Does anything show up on the screen, with the power on, and no cart or expansion module plugged in?

Edited by 5-11under

The only way i can get anything other than a black screen was using the expansion module exept for once when i got a blue screen with a scrambled mess but that was only once and sorry about the previous title. :ponder:

-Darren-

Edit: I read somewhere about a 12 second delay until it boots so does that mean the difficulty select screen or the actual game after you select a difficulty? And also when I start it its just a black screen but if i fick the switch around a bit its starts huming.

Edited by Pyromaniac605

Just tried my other colecovision and i still get the black screen but it is a bit fuzzy not just a flat black screen is that a good sign?

-Darren-

Did you use the same Power Supply for both units?

IF so have you tested the power supply with a multi-tester to see if all holes put out the correct voltage?

(VOLTAGE), I dont have that information in front of me at the moment, any else know what they are suppose to be? +12V, +5V, and -5V?

What are you using to hook it up to the TV?

Stay Calm ;)

Edited by Mark_Coleco

Just tried my other colecovision and i still get the black screen but it is a bit fuzzy not just a flat black screen is that a good sign?

-Darren-

IF so have you tested the power supply with a multi-tester to see if all holes put out the correct voltage?

(VOLTAGE), I dont have that information in front of me at the moment, any else know what they are suppose to be? +12V, +5V, and -5V?

Stay Calm ;)

Yes the same one but there is no way it is the power supply because the atari module works fine and also the voltages would be different here im pretty sure.

-Darren-

-Darren-

Stay Calm ;)

Yes the same one but there is no way it is the power supply because the atari module works fine and also the voltages would be different here im pretty sure.

-Darren-

Input voltage would be different of course but the output would be the same.

If you don't test it you won't know. The Atari unit may require less power...?

If its not the power supply then its the power switch or the VDP.

But you said both CV's act similar. I don't know, wish someone would know show up here.

Maybe ask someone on the board to fix your CV's, there's a few guys here who repair them.

Anyone there is no way this is a rare problem because both of mine have it and if it is a common problem which ot obviously is then there must be a fix and a want to know what it is ASAP.

-Darren-

I've had easily a hundred colecovisions pass thru my hands and not seen this one.

Is the TV an older crt type screen?

Have you tried both channel 3 and 4 on the TV, there is a switch to change channels on the console at the back.

Have you got one of those direct connect RCA-to-coax thingies or are you using one of those crappo switch boxes?

Dont even bother using a game cart, try to at least get the "insert game" screen.

With volume up do you get any noise or screen activity by jiggling the on/off switch, the power connection at the console, the rf cable, the channel switch?

If you shake the console a little, does anything clunk around inside. I ask because another guy in this forum had an ADAM computer that wouldnt show anything on the screen. I had him open er up - against his better judgement - but when he did some random piece of something fell out - and now it works fine.

The reset switch isnt locked is it,does it move freely and I'll ask the obvious - you have tried multiple resets right?

Did these machines ever work for you and this is a recent phenomenon or is this your first effort?

Dunno what else to ask at this point.....

Edited by coleconut

Anyone there is no way this is a rare problem because both of mine have it and if it is a common problem which ot obviously is then there must be a fix and a want to know what it is ASAP.

-Darren-

I've had easily a hundred colecovisions pass thru my hands and not seen this one.

Is the TV an older crt type screen?

Have you tried both channel 3 and 4 on the TV, there is a switch to change channels on the console at the back.

Have you got one of those direct connect RCA-to-coax thingies or are you using one of those crappo switch boxes?

Dont even bother using a game cart, try to at least get the "insert game" screen.

With volume up do you get any noise or screen activity by jiggling the on/off switch, the power connection at the console, the rf cable, the channel switch?

If you shake the console a little, does anything clunk around inside. I ask because another guy in this forum had an ADAM computer that wouldnt show anything on the screen. I had him open er up - against his better judgement - but when he did some random piece of something fell out - and now it works fine.

The reset switch isnt locked is it,does it move freely and I'll ask the obvious - you have tried multiple resets right?

Did these machines ever work for you and this is a recent phenomenon or is this your first effort?

Dunno what else to ask at this point.....

It is a CRT.

No matter what channel i select my TV picks it up as Channel 1.

Direct RCA cable no box or coaxial apadter.

I'll work on it.

If i switch the console on and of a few time rapidly it starts to make a sort of humming sound.

Nothing moves around and i can confirm there is nothing loose because i have taken one of them apart.

I have tried multiple resets but that didn't help.

They worked previously after i got them out of my wardrobe i set them up and they worked ok for a day or two but then it just suddenly stoped working.

-Darren-

(hope that answers all your questions :lol: )

• 2 months later...

Hello,

This is my first post.

My inclination is that if you aren't using a coaxial adapter, you might have problems, because the cable from the colecovision sends both video and sound(right?). I would think that the TV wouldn't be able to process the audio and video together. You might try using a coax adapter or switch box. I understand your frustration, as my CV is not working either (one of the main reasons i joined the site).

Hope that might help...