IGNORED

Need some C64 experts here

I remember the first time I laid eyes on a C64 I was about 4/5 years old... It has a cool smell too it, the box was a very atractive blue/purple with other wicked colours on it and a pic of the light fantastic gun.

My grandad and grandma love playing power poker on the ole beast to this day! I use mine for a bit of retro fun now and again.

As for what else it can do... well it's rather straight forward to program on... I remember typing out the number guessing game in one of the "making the most out of your c64" books. There is also a full office suit avalible and a printer (I have the printer and office suit though the printer is dry). Oh, and theres a music maker thingy too with a piano style keyboard that goes over the qwerty. It is a very cool system.

Loading times never bothered me, it is all part of the fun... really large games can take upto 15 minutes. To be honest I had never heard of fast loaders and the like till I read this topic, something I might look into though as anything that makes life easier and more enjoyable is a good thing.

Some games you may want to check out are:

Monty on the run.

Dizzy the egg (all the dizzy collection are great).

Cauldron 2 (never played the first one, read it was somewhat differnt, though. In my opinion the C64's was the best version of this game).

Toy bizarre.

Chucky Egg.

Finders keepers.

Power poker (don't know if this was released on its own, its part of a bumper collection I have called "big 100").

Flintstones.

Theres many many more, but none spring to mind at the moment... and I guess I could list them all night long if I put my mind too it, though I am sure you wont wanna spend your evening reading my top 100 C64 games list!

I remember the first time I laid eyes on a C64 I was about 4/5 years old... It has a cool smell too it, the box was a very atractive blue/purple with other wicked colours on it and a pic of the light fantastic gun.

My grandad and grandma love playing power poker on the ole beast to this day! I use mine for a bit of retro fun now and again.

As for what else it can do... well it's rather straight forward to program on... I remember typing out the number guessing game in one of the "making the most out of your c64" books. There is also a full office suit avalible and a printer (I have the printer and office suit though the printer is dry). Oh, and theres a music maker thingy too with a piano style keyboard that goes over the qwerty. It is a very cool system.

Loading times never bothered me, it is all part of the fun... really large games can take upto 15 minutes. To be honest I had never heard of fast loaders and the like till I read this topic, something I might look into though as anything that makes life easier and more enjoyable is a good thing.

Some games you may want to check out are:

Monty on the run.

Dizzy the egg (all the dizzy collection are great).

Cauldron 2 (never played the first one, read it was somewhat differnt, though. In my opinion the C64's was the best version of this game).

Toy bizarre.

Chucky Egg.

Finders keepers.

Power poker (don't know if this was released on its own, its part of a bumper collection I have called "big 100").

Flintstones.

Theres many many more, but none spring to mind at the moment... and I guess I could list them all night long if I put my mind too it, though I am sure you wont wanna spend your evening reading my top 100 C64 games list!

I wouldn't mind :lol:

-Darren-

Scanning through the thread, I noticed the question about NTSC/PAL compatibility was asked. Unfortunately, switching your TV from PAL to NTSC won't fix such region issues with a C64. In most cases, if a game or demo was coded for PAL machines you'll run into issues running the software on an NTSC machine. Most times a few lines of code will fix the issue, but the worst times large chunks of the software need re-coding.

But, I'm guessing this won't be an issue for you. You're based in AU and 95% of the time, any auction listing tape games is based in a PAL country.

Have fun!

• 1 year later...

First, let me apologize for replying to such an old message, but as no one else corrected these mistakes, it's my duty then.

I think i can i've heard the C64 port of Maniac MAnsion is good, true?

How can anyone else know if what you think you can you have heard is true or false. I mean, if you are saying that "Is it true that I think I can have heard the C64 Maniac Mansion is good", how can anyone possible know whether it's true that you think that or not (unless they are telepathic/psychic/etc.)?

Second of all, the C64 version of Maniac Mansion is _NOT_ a port. It is THE ORIGINAL. It is the best, the most glorious, the most beautiful and the most aurally pleasurable version - in addition to being the most atmospheric and the most immersive too. It is simply the best computer/video game that has ever been made that I am aware of so far.

As to someone here saying they like the C64 version for it's quirks - let me remind again, that it is THE ORIGINAL. The original can't have "quirks", it is what the other versions are compared to. The others try to be like it, and when they fail, they have 'quirks'. The C64 version does not have quirks, it only has features. PC version has quirks, it has bugs, it crashes more and has some things changed (for the worse, of course - you can't improve perfection). And, it doesn't look as good because of the lack of the PAL-effect (though I am sure NTSC produces something similar), a bit wrong colors, and too sharp pixels on a typical PC monitor (even at the time). But worst of all, originally such an atmospheric, spine-tingling and mystique-creating, exciting and immersive soundworld is of course totally, TOTALLY destroyed by the rapings of the screeching PC beeper/speaker.

So - to sum it up: the C64 version is not a PORT, it's the only version that is not a port - it is the original. And comparison to the PC version, stating that the original has quirks, is simply a horrendous injustice to a unique work of art the likes of which I have never seen before Maniac Mansion, nor have ever seen anything like it ever since. But maybe some day.. so please don't make such comparisons which would imply that they are almost as good, let alone that the C64 version would be somehow worse - because the truth of the matter is that the C64 version is so good that all the other versions can barely even be seen as 'versions' of Maniac Mansion - just pale shadowy production line copies with no soul and no atmosphere. Especially the Amiga version and the later redone PC-version are total lark's vomits and shouldn't be played, except just to see how ridiculously awful they really are in comparison to the MASTERPIECE that is the Commodore 64 version of Maniac Mansion (especially played with an OC-118N disk drive with it's atmospheric howling, during an autumn night when the moon is full and the air is thick with mystical atmosphere).

- Monk

Edited by Monk