IGNORED

Is there a game you never really understood?

Tickled_Pink

I've never understood what you had to do in Yar's Revenge. Probably because I've never owned a boxed copy with manual.

Here's the manual: Yar's Revenge manual

You might also read The Qotile Ultimatum, it's the comic that came with the game.

Probably the only game I don't understand, even after reading the (um)manual? is Exocet

Not having the manual, I've been too lazy to search and read up on what to do in 2600 He-Man. That game seems to go on forever and the AI on it is goofy or tricky as hell. Never even knew there was a second screen until recently and that was from looking at the back of the box! lol

There's a bunch of 2600 games that really require reading their instruction manuals. E.T. and Raiders obviously. Riddle of the Sphinx. Kool-Aid man maybe. He-Man's currently the most frustrating game for me right now though. :lol:

Raiders Of The Lost Ark

Never owned manual though or a box.

Understand its placing and how it relates to things,

You guys are forgetting the most complex 2600 game ever -- Space Shuttle: A Journey into Space.

I love the game, but not only did it have the largest manual for a 2600 game but had a overlay for the console also, cause it used every switch!

Edited by SoulBlazer

All three of the Swordquest titles. I understood the mini-games, but not what rooms to items into.

Yeah, I don't know if there was any rhyme or reason as to what items you would place in what rooms. I think they could have done something a bit better. Was it just a matter of trial and error? I never read the walkthru so I have no idea what items belong in what rooms.

Phil

The Swordquest walkthroughs are a chore. Unless you are hardcore, don't bother the reward is minimal.

I never understood Sorcerer's Apprentice. Still don't. I don't have the manual, and I've not looked it up here yet. The game just seems to go on and on and there doesn't appear to be any difficulty in do so. Was it just a game designed to keep smaller kids occupied for hours?

The problem with collecting for the classics is that most games are cart only when you find them. I also bought Yar's recently and don't quite get it yet. Also saw Swordquest but passed on it for now. There are numerous sites that have downloadable/printable manuals, so that helps I guess.

I've never understood what you had to do in Yar's Revenge. Probably because I've never owned a boxed copy with manual.

Here's the manual: Yar's Revenge manual

You might also read The Qotile Ultimatum, it's the comic that came with the game.

Probably the only game I don't understand, even after reading the (um)manual? is Exocet

Simple. Shoot stuff and don't get shot. There's nothing else to worry about. It's kind of a fun game in an odd sort of way.

Raiders Of The Lost Ark

You guys are forgetting the most complex 2600 game ever -- Space Shuttle: A Journey into Space.

I love the game, but not only did it have the largest manual for a 2600 game but had a overlay for the console also, cause it used every switch!

Sounds fun! How rare is it might have to hunt down a copy.

-Darren-

Raiders Of The Lost Ark

-Darren-

It's a Activision game, so not rare at all. Rather common, I think.

Raiders Of The Lost Ark

-Darren-

It's a Activision game, so not rare at all. Rather common, I think.

Cool have to look out for a PAL copy then.

-Darren-

Yars Revenge was just beyond my comprehension till I got my hands on a manual. It's a very fun game now that I know what I'm supposed to do, but I must say, it might just be the ugliest game I've ever played on Atari just the same!

I would also be inclined to agree with the Swordquest games. The most I've ever gotten out of them was wandering hopelessly from room to room, stumbling when I try to accomplish a minigame, and ultimately getting bored and giving up. Maybe because I know I'm not going to win that sword hanging in Jack Tramiel's rec room, or whatever.

For me, Atari games generally have to pass an opacity test: if I can't understand generally how to play it without a manual, it's probably not worth my time. Yars being an exception, as I felt really stupid afterward!

Space Shuttle.Buts that's more laziness on my part,also not patient enough to learn how to play the damn thing.When i saw the instructions for this game,i thought oh no,one of those games.But i recently started learning how to play,and guess what?its tons of FUN!One of the main reasons i love the 2600 is the ease of learning,just put game in and play.But i am now going back to those complicated games and giving them time,and its turned out to be a good change of pace from the regular shoot em ups/action games. :thumbsup:

The box art promises action and adventure, yet the game itself was about as much fun as getting lost in Sears.

ROTFLMAO! I made that place my home for about 15 years. Seriously though, the Sears of the 70's-80's were awesome. Wouldn't mind getting lost or left overnight there ;)

You can have their crappy stores now though.