IGNORED

SSGC Racer

Kurt_Woloch

Here's my entry for the Short 'n' sweet gaming contest. It's called SSGC Racer. There's no instruction manual yet (is this required?), but the controls are pretty basic:

- Joystick left: steer left

- Joystick right: steer right

- Joystick up: accelerate

- Joystick down: brake

I've attached the file as saved to the DSK1 folder by Classic99 as well as a screenshot. I'm not quite finished with this yet because I've still got some room left - right now I'm at 14 lines of code and 18 DATA lines, which means I still have 8 more lines. Also, the DATA lines could be somewhat more compressed.

post-8393-126791734593_thumb.png

Does that screenshot remind you of something?

SSGCRACE.zip

• Like 3

Man that looks good!! Atarisoft ain't got JACK!!! :). I'll be playing this one tonight when I get home from my show!!!

((edit)) no manual required-- however a good back story helps!

"You're the great Johnny Horsepower--- this is the last race of your life.... The young upstart racer "Wankus O'Tool" is trying to take your trophy---- can you overcome the hardest competition of your life to win the race and take home 1st prize?!?"

something like that. :)

Edited by Opry99er

OK, little update here... I've now added a starting and an ending music as well as some additional display. The game now ends after doing 4 laps on the track, displaying the best and average laps at the end. No new screenshot added because the looks have stayed the same. I'm now on 38 lines total, next I will probably try to optimize the DATA statements to make some room for more code.

SSGCRACE.zip

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

OK, here is my probably final version of SSGC Racer. That is, if you don't find any errors...

as announced, I did compress the DATA statements somewhat so I got room for more features. Actually I'm surprised how many additional features I managed to squeeze in:

- Speech output (OK, no custom words this time)

- Starting and finishing tower with start/finish line

- Title screen with scrolling message, flashing frame and logo

- Starting lights that light up, accompanied by corresponding sounds

- End game options of REDO, BACK and Quit

I've attached the current version again, and I will also submit it to the main submission thread before March 15th unless you find any errors or copyright problems in the game.

The attached ZIP file contains:

- program file as saved to DSK1 by Classic99

- source code (ready to paste into Classic99)

- manual (TXT file)

SSGC Racer 1.03.zip

post-8393-127092286007_thumb.png

post-8393-127092288075_thumb.png

• Like 3

• 7 years later...

OK, here is my probably final version of SSGC Racer. That is, if you don't find any errors...

as announced, I did compress the DATA statements somewhat so I got room for more features. Actually I'm surprised how many additional features I managed to squeeze in:

- Speech output (OK, no custom words this time)

- Starting and finishing tower with start/finish line

- Title screen with scrolling message, flashing frame and logo

- Starting lights that light up, accompanied by corresponding sounds

- End game options of REDO, BACK and Quit

I've attached the current version again, and I will also submit it to the main submission thread before March 15th unless you find any errors or copyright problems in the game.

The attached ZIP file contains:

- program file as saved to DSK1 by Classic99

- source code (ready to paste into Classic99)

- manual (TXT file)

Excellent little time waster.

So a 4k playground game? Hmm.

Hey, that might be of interest to newbies who have not yet expanded or just want to play around with an unexpanded system. Those folks need some love too! :)

I was thinking a cartridge image would be ok.

I'm confused, I thought a cartridge game could exceed 4K yet run on an unexpanded system. If it's going to be in cartridge format, why limit the size to 4K?

Hey, that might be of interest to newbies who have not yet expanded or just want to play around with an unexpanded system. Those folks need some love too! :)

I'm confused, I thought a cartridge game could exceed 4K yet run on an unexpanded system. If it's going to be in cartridge format, why limit the size to 4K?

I will start a new thread.