IGNORED

Manic Miner Port?

Heaven/TQA

One thing to consider for the author: to implement (if it's not already there) the "PAUSE" option. It's quite often forgotten in new games for our 8-bit Atari ;)

Anyway, I just can't wait for the playable version! :)

ok :) noted. I'll also add fire button to start from the title screen.

• 7 months later...
Do you use IDA or something similar to help get the Z80 code translated over?

Or do you just do sections at a time by hand?

Well, it's been manually recreated from scratch really to ensure that I made the best possible conversion specifically around the A8 hardware. The majority of it is best rewritten I figured with the different approaches needed. I've refered to the source code for both manic and jet set but mainly it has been closely exaining the behaviors and mechanics of the gameplay and figuring everything out until it's 100%.

Hi all,

I've uploaded a video tonight to You Tube showing a preview play testing level 1.

I'm getting close towards the final stages of completion for the game now, I hope to release it in the next couple of months.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pflxAOCmMoo

And all of this VBXE-less, great effort and thank you, bring it on! :)

And all of this VBXE-less, great effort and thank you, bring it on! icon_smile.gif

It shows very underused features of the A8. Thanks Tezz to do this really heavily needed demonstration of possible hires graphics in colour games. Otherwise one can write until the fingers get eradicated ;)

Hires in 32 bytes width makes games possible, no one had dreamed of.

• Like 2

Am I missing something here? This game appears to be using ANTIC $F, but where's all the color coming from? Player-missiles?

dw. yup. PM as "color ram"

And all of this VBXE-less, great effort and thank you, bring it on! icon_smile.gif

It shows very underused features of the A8. Thanks Tezz to do this really heavily needed demonstration of possible hires graphics in colour games. Otherwise one can write until the fingers get eradicated ;)

Hires in 32 bytes width makes games possible, no one had dreamed of.

Hmm, interesting, so it's all using normal A8 character graphics and indexed colors?

I know the A8 has 5 playfield color registers, but I didn't know it let you relegate the P/M colors to the playfield as well, but I guess that explains why most of the sprites are white... unless they're software sprites (you can't share the P/M colors with both playfield and P/M?). When I was looking though the video before, I only counted 5 unique colors in the BG (disregarding cycling stuff), so I was thinking maybe just the 5 playfield colors were used.

Is it doing DLIs too, or just plain indexed colors and per frame color cycling effects?

I knew GTIA allowed all 9 colors to be used in 80 pixel width, but I wasn't sure about general use of indexed colors in character modes. (obviously in the bitmap modes you're stuck with 2 or 4 colors per scanline) Is this something unique to the high res character mode, or can you push something similar for the 4-color 4x8 chars as well?

I've looked into some documents and descriptions on the A8 graphics/character modes before, but never got a good idea of how indexed colors would be used as such.

Sticking with high-res might be preferable for NTSC in general given the possibility for solid and consistent artifact colors in composite/RF as you'd get more combinations an unique colors with artifacting than with plain indexing if used with 4x8 characters. (no good for PAL or Y/C monitors though... or CTIA users unless the game supported a separate CTIA mode)

Then again, the C64 should have been able to use the same technique in 320x200, and with any 2 (of 16) colors paired per character cell... and the C64 would benefit more from artifact colors too given the limited palette. (again useless for Y/C and PAL)

Hmm, actually that should also have been useful for sprites for the A8 or C64 if corresponding to the same 7.16 MHz dot clock, thus allowing up to 4 artifact colors to be used with 2 overlaid monochrome sprites rather than 2 true colors or 3 true colors with a C64 multicolor sprite. (the latter having to share 2 colors with all other sprites, at least on that scanline)

Edited by kool kitty89
  • Like 1

Yeah.. looking really good :thumbsup:

Making me have a "new" appreciation for gr.0 or 8, plus P/M's :)

One question.. the small objects, like the keys and plants, have a black background (inside the tile)?, it seems so in the video, but I believed that is not possible if you are using P/M's with 4x size..

Regards!

Yeah.. looking really good :thumbsup:

Making me have a "new" appreciation for gr.0 or 8, plus P/M's :)

One question.. the small objects, like the keys and plants, have a black background (inside the tile)?, it seems so in the video, but I believed that is not possible if you are using P/M's with 4x size..

Regards!

Thanks, yes well spotted! the small map elements actually have 1x overlay and are defined around each shape. All of the maps has been carefully desgined in this way to look as good as possible.

• 8 months later...