IGNORED

Yars Revenge Contains Nazi Propaganda?

The_Laird

I just listed a Yars Revenge on ebay and got this message come up when I tried to post the listing:

Alert!

It looks like you are trying to list an item that includes the image of a swastika on it. We allow some historical items with swastikas on them, such as stamps and coins. However, we don't allow items that might be considered Nazi propaganda.

It is prohibited to list on eBay items which bear symbols of the Nazis, or the SS, including authentic German WWII memorabilia that bears such

marks, whether visible or covered.

Items which may be listed are coins and stamps from the WWII era (regardless of markings) and WWII memorabilia that does not bear the Nazi or SS markings.

For further information please see our Offensive material policy page

I am just baffled :?

They must have some picture analyzing software, else this wouldn't happen.

Can you post your pictures from the listing here?

Agreed, and that's pretty ridiculous. I assume you attempted to post a screenshot. I wonder if this happened because you're in the UK?

..Al

I think eBay had some run-ins with European governments, particularly France, over the sale

of Nazi paraphernalia. Items which are perfectly legal to sell in the US would be prohibited in France,

so if a France-based bidder were to buy the item, it would violate the law. French courts went

after eBay and Yahoo and others, I believe, and won a number of settlements against them.

These settlements would not be enforceable in the US, but if the business has a branch in France,

it can't just ignore foreignlaw when it conducts business.

Anyway, my guess is that eBay is not trying to be a clamp down on swastika-themed items

out of narrow-mindedness, but to try and avoid unnecessary legal entanglements. It's strange

that Yars Revenge would trigger the alert, but looking at the swirl graphic I could certainly

imagine it could produce a false positive with image recognition software. Very interesting

story--thanks for sharing it with us.

That swirl is a very common version of the swastika, intended or not. But pulling a video game over it that has no intent of displaying it as a Nazi symbol? BS. :thumbsdown: Also who's to say it wasn't being used (even though it wasn't) to represent the older and more acurate meaning the Egyptians explained as a symbol for luck and victory?

That swirl is a very common version of the swastika, intended or not. But pulling a video game over it that has no intent of displaying it as a Nazi symbol? BS. :thumbsdown: Also who's to say it wasn't being used (even though it wasn't) to represent the older and more acurate meaning the Egyptians explained as a symbol for luck and victory?

No it isnt the only swastika is the swastika not any swirly versions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika .

-Darren-

The swirls are pointing in the wrong direction. To look more like the Nazi swastika, it would be reversed.

That is very interesting, though.

Your thinking of a Manji thats a reverse swastika.

The Nazi swastika points point to the right (when looking at it). The swirls on Yars Revenge point to the left. I know this because I used to draw Nazi swastikas all the time in my stupid & impressionable youth when I thought they were cool.

The swirls are pointing in the wrong direction. To look more like the Nazi swastika, it would be reversed.

That is very interesting, though.

Your thinking of a Manji thats a reverse swastika.

The Nazi swastika points point to the right (when looking at it). The swirls on Yars Revenge point to the left. I know this because I used to draw Nazi swastikas all the time in my stupid & impressionable youth when I thought they were cool.

Yeah so its like a swirly manji not a swirly swasika. (or should i say svastika :lol: )

-Darren-

Yeah so its like a swirly manji not a swirly swasika. (or should i say svastika :lol: )

Not even close. In German, it's called a "hakenkreuz" (for non-German-speaking Americans, this is roughly pronounced as "hawk in kroyts"), or hooked cross. And it was very common to see it depicted in either rotation during WWII. For example, German flags would be printed from only one side of the fabric, so if the wind blew the flag from any viewer's right to left, the symbol would appear reversed to him. Also, Allied airmen often would deliberately paint the "kill" markings on aircraft as reversed swastikas, as a sign of disrespect.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

Yeah, wouldn't mind seeing the auction picture(s) you put up. Just re-list without any Yars' Revenge swirls visible.

Nothing nazish on the box: http://www.atariage.com/box_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=603

They must have some picture analyzing software, else this wouldn't happen.

Can you post your pictures from the listing here?

How do we know that Yars Revenge wasn't actually created with the intent of promoting Nazis (through a mirror)?

innocent until proven guilty though. hopefully my favorite atari game doesnt promote nazis, but it wouldnt matter anyway, cuz its still yars' revenge

Not even close. In German, it's called a "hakenkreuz" (for non-German-speaking Americans, this is roughly pronounced as "hawk in kroyts"), or hooked cross. And it was very common to see it depicted in either rotation during WWII. For example, German flags would be printed from only one side of the fabric, so if the wind blew the flag from any viewer's right to left, the symbol would appear reversed to him. Also, Allied airmen often would deliberately paint the "kill" markings on aircraft as reversed swastikas, as a sign of disrespect.

Oh nevermind have it your way then. :roll:

-Darren-

Edit: Swastikas arent nescicarily nazi symbols eg. Finnish air force. just chech the wikipedia page for swastika nad there is alot more than just a nazi symbol.

Edit2: (wikipedia) the Manji symbol which is the mirror image of the Nazi swastika

Edited by Pyromaniac605