IGNORED

Program to add to and extract files from ATR?

Mr.Amiga500

Can somebody help me find ATR manipulation programs? I need to be able to add files to ATR files and also extract files from them. I thought this would be a popular program with Atari 8-bit users, but apparently such a program is hard to find.

I don't use Windows, so the program must be a small MS-DOS program that I can use from booted floppy. My Linux drive committed suicide, so I can't use Linux or Wine (...but I can still drink wine). I use BeOS and Amiga, so any ATR programs for those systems would be good too.

The only useful program I've found so far is ATR2Unix which seems to work fine for extraction, but I can't find an equivalent program for adding to or creating ATRs.

It looks like AtariDsk is for working with real Atari disks. I just want to work with ATR files.

I found a UNIX2ATR program that seems to work on Amiga. It's buggy (have to reboot after each use), but at least it makes ATR files that are readable. Unfortunately, there appears to be no ATR2UNIX on Amiga - which means I'd have to create ATRs with Amiga and extract ATRs from DOS floppy on PC. Damn, it's hard to boycott Microsoft.

Off topic, but does anybody know of an Atari JPG viewer that actually works? (I was creating an ATR with JPG files to test the damn JPG viewer)

Well,

you can use XDIR 10.x by Bo and Ernest Schreurs under MS-DOS to a) view the file contents of an ATR (DOS 2.x and SpartaDOS format) and b) extract all (!) files from that ATR. There are also some other old MS-DOS tools to do this and probably also some to add files from the PC harddisk to an ATR, but I have not used them often...

The best JPG viewer and converter on the A8 is A8JDPEG, Jpegview and CJDPEG - all by Raphael Espino. There has not been an update for a long time now, but the latest versions are still usefull (if you have the patience to wait decoding JPEG`s on the A8). For MS-DOS you may try Q-View 2.46 (there are newer versions available, but this one works also ok), to watch JPG, BMP, GIF and other pictures and even AVI movies...

-Andreas Koch.

ADIR.ZIP

ATRUTILS.ZIP

CONVERT.ZIP

DIR2ATR1.ZIP

dir2atr2.zip

EXTRACT.ZIP

IMAGIC.ZIP

jpg_view.zip

MAKATR06.ZIP

UTIL.ZIP

XDIR.ZIP

XDIRLIST.ZIP

XDIRV10.ZIP

QV246.ZIP

Hi!

The only useful program I've found so far is ATR2Unix which seems to work fine for extraction, but I can't find an equivalent program for adding to or creating ATRs.

You could try compiling dir2atr on your Amiga. It's part of my AtariSIO suite for Linux, if you've got gcc 2.95 (or newer) it should be doable. I already managed to compile dir2atr a Win32 console application using mingw on Linux (just have a look at tools/Makefile and look for dir2atr.exe), maybe you can also compile it for DOS (using djgpp or some other 32-bit capable DOS compiler).

You can download AtariSIO from my website, use the latest AtariSIO snapshot from the snapshot directory (currently 100228).

so long,

Hias

Whoa, thanks CharlieChaplin for that monster list of files. I'll check them out. I've already tested XDIR. It looks like something I was looking for, but unfortunately it only lists contents of ATRs. I was hoping it would be like a filemanager to add and remove files. Maybe one of those others will be what I'm looking for. I already tried those JPG viewers. Those are the ones that didn't work. They couldn't even read disks properly.

Thanks w1k for the link. That looks almost exactly what I'm looking for, but is for Windows. I need something for DOS.

The Franny program too looks like it is Windows only. It comes with a huge dll. (and if it worked in DOS, it would be too huge to fit on a floppy)

[quote name=Sub(Function(:))' date='Tue Mar 9, 2010 7:24 AM' timestamp='1268133845' post='1959694]

...Damn, it's hard to boycott Microsoft.

I am getting pretty close at the moment (only need it for Excel, and word)

Problem in I don't know if I am just swapping Devils (I went Mac) :ponder:

Yes, I once thought Apple was the "good" one, but I quickly discovered that they are just as evil as Microsoft (or almost... 93.5% evil, by volume). Linux too, I once thought to be a force of good, but I now hate Linux more than poison. (...and I don't like poison)

I hate Windows. I hate Mac. I hate Linux. That doesn't leave me much choice.

... more than poison. (...and I don't like poison)

I hate Windows. I hate Mac. I hate Linux. That doesn't leave me much choice.

Not a fan of Bret Michaels myself either :P

Still there are good old Atari and Commodore 8 bits not much evil in those. And it looks like the evil is leaving the amiga scene since amiga inc. seems to have closed.

Well,

you can also use XDIR to extract all files from an ATR image. But XDIR does not do this automatically, you have to go to the setup and tell XDIR where to save the extracted files to (and make sure this setup or config file is saved and always present on C: not in any subdir or folder). Then execute XDIR, choose an ATR (XDIR will display the contents of that ATR) and while on it, press the Return key. XDIR will then extract all files from that ATR and save them to the setup folder. Its a little bit annoying that you cannot choose which files to extract and XDIR will always extract all files (not nice, when you extract 100 DOS 2 disks, it will extract DOS 2 DOS.SYS and DUP.SYS numerous of times). But at least it works, I have already tested XDIR extracting files from ATR images with success...

-Andreas Koch.

Whoa, thanks CharlieChaplin for that monster list of files. I'll check them out. I've already tested XDIR. It looks like something I was looking for, but unfortunately it only lists contents of ATRs. I was hoping it would be like a filemanager to add and remove files. Maybe one of those others will be what I'm looking for. I already tried those JPG viewers. Those are the ones that didn't work. They couldn't even read disks properly.

Thanks w1k for the link. That looks almost exactly what I'm looking for, but is for Windows. I need something for DOS.

The Franny program too looks like it is Windows only. It comes with a huge dll. (and if it worked in DOS, it would be too huge to fit on a floppy)

I hate Windows. I hate Mac. I hate Linux.

What - you don't hate MSDOS? That would've been my #1 or #2 on that list.

That doesn't leave me much choice.

There are plenty of alternatives: *BSD, (Open)Solaris, BeOS/Haiku - just to name a few.

so long,

Hias

What - you don't hate MSDOS? That would've been my #1 or #2 on that list.

Yes, I hate MS-DOS. Of course I hate it. (who wouldn't?) But at least it boots fast, fits on a floppy, doesn't run a whole bunch of crap in the background and I can still boycott Microsoft if I use FreeDOS. Since there aren't BeOS or Amiga equivalents of these ATR programs, I don't have much choice.

There are plenty of alternatives: *BSD, (Open)Solaris, BeOS/Haiku - just to name a few.

I hate BSD. I hate OpenSolaris. I hate NextStep. I hate IRIX. (note: I have all these operating systems, so I know exactly why I hate them)

Haiku is still too buggy. That's why I'm using BeOS.

PS. I hate Gnome. I hate KDE. I really, really, REALLY hate GRUB. What a piece of crap!

Edited by Mr.Amiga500

Since the original poster eliminated Windows in the question - and someone said "too bad most of the tools are for Windows to do this" - I am wondering what those tools are?

What are the best tools to do this, using Windows?

As far as "love/hate" relationships with operating systems....I used to feel that way but now I just "prefer" to use/not use whatever o.s. I'd have to agree that I prefer to use alternatives to Windows when I can, but I am forced to acknowledge the convenience of either keeping a Windows system or keeping a Linux box dual-boot.

Thanks in advance.

Since the original poster eliminated Windows in the question - and someone said "too bad most of the tools are for Windows to do this" - I am wondering what those tools are?

<SNIP>

Thanks in advance.

From the list above by -Andreas Koch. I use #5 and #9 the most on windows.

As far as "love/hate" relationships with operating systems....I used to feel that way but now I just "prefer" to use/not use whatever o.s. I'd have to agree that I prefer to use alternatives to Windows when I can, but I am forced to acknowledge the convenience of either keeping a Windows system or keeping a Linux box dual-boot.

Thanks in advance.

When I was using Windows, my favorite was MakeATR

makeATR.zip

Thanks in advance.

When I was using Windows, my favorite was MakeATR

makeATR.zip

Also here is a post (#2) I made a few years ago in relation to another question about ATR files.

of these I think the most pertinent are ATARI-FileManagement and AtrUtil Version 1.13 but the total commander plugin might also be useful