IGNORED

HES Home Entertainment Suppliers

Dane

This thread is no longer needed as I am not collecting anymore, thanks to everyone who helped me along the way. It was fun but like everything else in life including life itself, it has to end eventually.

Edited by Dane

Well I just got two more 2 Pak Specials in their boxes.

2 Pak Special - Challenge & Surfing

2 Pak Special - Planet Patrol & Wall Defender

So I'm getting there. It's so hard to find them in decent condition though.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you know anything about the cover variation for this pitfall.... is it common? is it HES?

Hey there, no I have never seen that particular cover before. All my HES titles have "Home Entertainment Suppliers" written on the back of the cover on both the plastic & cardboard case/box releases.

It also might be a 5200 game. Does the cartridge have a somewhat circular grove on either side towards the top of the cart? If it does I would guess it's for the 5200 & is an American release, which would mean it couldn't be HES. Cool cover though, I like it!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Dane,

I picked this one up the other day.

Do you know anything about the cover variation for this pitfall.... is it common? is it HES?

Yeah, it's HES... it's the same style case and inlay all the C64 cart releases have by them in Australia.

I have boxes + manuals for Challenge and 2 Pak Special - Dolphin / Pigs 'n' Wolf that I'd be happy to part with. Both are in good condition, a little bumped but not too bad. No games, though!

Let me know if you're interested.

BTW, I don't think the HES Wing War exists - they announced it in a catalogue but I doubt it ever happened. I've been looking for that game for ages!

I have boxes + manuals for Challenge and 2 Pak Special - Dolphin / Pigs 'n' Wolf that I'd be happy to part with. Let me know if you're interested.

BTW, I don't think the HES Wing War exists - they announced it in a catalog but I doubt it ever happened. I've been looking for that game for ages!

Cool I certainly am interested, PM sent! & thanks for that info on Wing War, I didn't actually know that.

Yeah, it's HES... it's the same style case and inlay all the C64 cart releases have by them in Australia.

Wow really? Do you have one of these? The only reason I ask is that every single HES game I have for the 2600, C64, SMS & NES all say H.E.S. somewhere on the case, box or cart. I have seen that Pitfall! for sale on eBay Australia a few times & have asked the sellers if it says "H.E.S." anywhere on it at all & the answer was always no. Which lead me to believe there's no way it could be H.E.S.

I'm not saying your wrong as you might very well be far more knowledgeable than I. May I ask do you have this variant & how do you know for sure it is H.E.S.? I would very much like to know as I have let a couple slip through my fingers due to me thinking it definitely ain't H.E.S.

Wow really? Do you have one of these? The only reason I ask is that every single HES game I have for the 2600, C64, SMS & NES all say H.E.S. somewhere on the case, box or cart. I have seen that Pitfall! for sale on eBay Australia a few times & have asked the sellers if it says "H.E.S." anywhere on it at all & the answer was always no. Which lead me to believe there's no way it could be H.E.S.

I'm not saying your wrong as you might very well be far more knowledgeable than I. May I ask do you have this variant & how do you know for sure it is H.E.S.? I would very much like to know as I have let a couple slip through my fingers due to me thinking it definitely ain't H.E.S.

Hey Dane,

Yeah this one definately has HES on the back of it.

I bought it 'cause I thought it was a 2600 variant of Pitfall. And whilst it has a standard 2600 Pitfall cart in it... I think indeed it may have once contained a C64 cart or some other system's cart.

The strange thing is that on the box or the instruction manual - on the backside of the cover label - is that it doesn't mention what system it is for, almost trying to stay universal, so that it could be used for any number of systems. Only in one instance, in the game play instructions does it have an asterix which at the bottom of the manual makes reference to playing the game on a C64 - but again this gives me the feeling that HES was using the same manual for a number of systems.

Anyway... if you want it - You can have it for $10 plus postage.

Yeah, the inlay says HES on the back of it (the other side you can't see in that photo). Many of the inlays used for the C64 releases are the same as the 2600 ones but with a sticker on the front saying "Commodore 64". HES bought a metric ton load of Activision's stock but just the cartridges, so they had to make the packaging itself; so all their C64 Activision releases are exactly the same shells and labels as the US ones.

I believe I own all the HES C64 releases, you can see them on my website to check them out...

Yeah, the inlay says HES on the back of it (the other side you can't see in that photo). Many of the inlays used for the C64 releases are the same as the 2600 ones but with a sticker on the front saying "Commodore 64". HES bought a metric ton load of Activision's stock but just the cartridges, so they had to make the packaging itself; so all their C64 Activision releases are exactly the same shells and labels as the US ones.

I believe I own all the HES C64 releases, you can see them on my website to check them out...

Thanks for that info... very interesting.

So would it then be fair to say - that this case is also the 2600 HES release?!

I believe I own all the HES C64 releases, you can see them on my website.

OH MY GOD! I have been tryin' to find a comprehensive or as close to list for the C64 HES releases for ages but couldn't find one. Your is the best I've seen. Maybe more official sites have a list but I couldn't find one as there aren't all user friendly. Now I can finally add a search to eBay & start tryin' to hunt down those suckers. Please don;t tell me where you live though or I'll have to fly to the U.K. & MURDER you to get them! lol, just kidding.

BTW, did HES release any cassette games for the C64 or only carts?

Edited by Dane

OH MY GOD! I have been tryin' to find a comprehensive or as close to list for the C64 HES releases for ages but couldn't find one. Your is the best I've seen. Maybe more official sites have a list but I couldn't find one as there aren't all user friendly. Now I can finally add a search to eBay & start tryin' to hunt down those suckers. Please don;t tell me where you live though or I'll have to fly to the U.K. & MURDER you to get them! lol, just kidding.

BTW, did HES release any cassette games for the C64 or only carts?

An official site would be Digital Press, to which I am in charge of the C64 and Vic20 cartridge sections there. That's the definitive list of every cartridge related for those two machines, my website just has the ones I personally own. But I currently own every known HES C64 cartridge release. Won't rule out there being a Toy Bizarre one for instance, but in my 10-15 years of travelling and searching, I've not found one yet. A couple of the HES releases are very, very hard to find (Double Dragon and Nova Blast) and I think I've seen perhaps 3-4 copies of each over the years. There is a reason why people consider me to be the Commodore cartridge king ;)

As for the second question, I believe it only ever released cartridges, no tapes or disks.

There is a reason why people consider me to be the Commodore cartridge king.

Yes indeed, it is very impressive to own them all, & I can definitely say that from living in Australia & knowing how often any of them surface. I have not actively searched or hunted for C64 "YET", but have browsed occasionally whilst looking for other system's H.E.S. releases. In the last however many months I have only noticed 1 C64 H.E.S. title on AUS eBay (can't remember which one), but it went for around AUS$50. Did you acquire all of yours from Australia? Or found some else around overseas?

Also I have NEVER really searched a C64 site or forum. Do you know of any C64 sites which have a forum & an enthusiastic community to which I may post a "Wanted H.E.S." thread? Not that I will get too many offers lol.

Quite a few came from Australia. Some others came from collectors in Europe and a couple were in the UK. I'd probably say about 50% were from down under. As for a place to post a wanted thread, I would suggest joining the Lemon64 forum...

Just missed out on a Gorf!

Did it just go on eBay? If so.....POOP LOG! I don't really search any eBay's other than Australia, maybe I should start.

PS: On your website you have a Megadrive 2 Toy Story version. That is ironic because there is a SNES in toy story.

Interesting bit of trivia there, that is amusing indeed.