IGNORED

I have a Hamony Cart so any point in still getting STARPATH SUPERCHARGER?

I am not completely clear on the relation but I understand the Harmony Cart runs some Supercharger games (that have been converted from sound back to ROM?) I got the STELLA GETS A NEW BRAIN CD as a free bonus for buying the Harmony Cart Deluxe package. Can I run most of the Starpath games on my Harmony or am I still missing out on some titles? Would you recommend STILL getting a Starpath Supercharger for anything more than collectible reasons?

Is this CD of any use to me without one? Sorry I am pretty confused............... :?

I am not completely clear on the relation but I understand the Harmony Cart runs some Supercharger games (that have been converted from sound back to ROM?) I got the STELLA GETS A NEW BRAIN CD as a free bonus for buying the Harmony Cart Deluxe package. Can I run most of the Starpath games on my Harmony or am I still missing out on some titles? Would you recommend STILL getting a Starpath Supercharger for anything more than collectible reasons?

Is this CD of any use to me without one? Sorry I am pretty confused............... :?

The "Stella Gets A New Brain" CD gives you legal copies of the Starpath Supercharger games (since it is an authorized compilation). However, to actually play the games on the Harmony you need the converted ROM files. The Harmony can play all of the Supercharger games, so there is no need for an actual Supercharger cart. So basically, the CD just makes things more legitimate, while also being a nice collectors item.

Chris

The "Stella Gets A New Brain" CD gives you legal copies of the Starpath Supercharger games (since it is an authorized compilation). However, to actually play the games on the Harmony you need the converted ROM files. The Harmony can play all of the Supercharger games, so there is no need for an actual Supercharger cart. So basically, the CD just makes things more legitimate, while also being a nice collectors item.

Chris

OK thanks! Good to know. WHERE can I get these "combined ROM files" or can I create / make them myself? Can I create them from the CD contents? Sorry I am new to this stuff...........

OK thanks! Good to know. WHERE can I get these "combined ROM files" or can I create / make them myself? Can I create them from the CD contents? Sorry I am new to this stuff...........

Rom Hunter's Atari 2600 ROM Collection on AtariMania has the converted files.

Chris

Thank you so much for the help! :D

It's a great time to be into Atari!

You can download combined Starpath games (though when I put them on the SD card for the Deluxe edition, I combined them.)

However, one minute ago I checked the orders and as of this writing, they are all spoken for.

Glad I got mine then! Still haven't tried it out but looking forward to it!

I did an unboxing video, you can tell my surprise at the bonus Stella CD lol!

I hope to follow up with a video looking at the product in use! Of course I will add full details about ordering etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VIf6_Ui3iE

I see you already got the Harmony, but a supercharger is still pretty cool. Nothing as old school as having a cassette deck next to your atari! (Nowadays you can us an ipod)

I see you already got the Harmony, but a supercharger is still pretty cool. Nothing as old school as having a cassette deck next to your atari! (Nowadays you can us an ipod)

I agree but my funds are severely limited so I try not to spend money on ways to play if I have it already covered. Playing on actually ATARI hardware is enough cool factor for me, I would rather put the same $$$$ towards something that will give me a different experience or enable me to play on another old classic console. I appreciate the comment though!

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

I agree but my funds are severely limited so I try not to spend money on ways to play if I have it already covered. Playing on actually ATARI hardware is enough cool factor for me, I would rather put the same $$$$ towards something that will give me a different experience or enable me to play on another old classic console. I appreciate the comment though!

I definitely can agree with that. I have 2 superchargers from back in the day, one I modified in the early 90s, and that is pretty much obsolete now that most of the roms have been patched to make that unneeded.

The Starpath games were so much better than the norm. Compare the 2 froggers.

ALso if you are going to combine, or get combined roms, do not combine the party mix games, there is 3 "loads" on the party mix tape, but it is not a multi load game, it is 5 separate games, with 2 of the loads having 2 games each.

The only multi load games are;

Dragonstomper

Escape from the Mindmaster

Survival Island

Starpath - Arcadia - Joystick Games.zip

Starpath - Arcadia - Paddle Games.zip

THANKS to everyone who commented in this thread! I just tested it for the first time (Using my Colecovision Expansion Module, I know that is wrong lol!) everything worked great, tried some original games, Starpath FROGGER (wow!) some hacks and homebrews! It's all good and I have a greater understanding thanks to you all! I will be doing a demonstration video of the product at some point and you have all helped greatly!

THANKS to everyone who commented in this thread! I just tested it for the first time (Using my Colecovision Expansion Module, I know that is wrong lol!) everything worked great, tried some original games, Starpath FROGGER (wow!) some hacks and homebrews! It's all good and I have a greater understanding thanks to you all! I will be doing a demonstration video of the product at some point and you have all helped greatly!

I also got the deluxe version, and I found that the Starpath roms were already loaded onto the SD card in a folder named "Starpath CD" both NTSC and PAL versions.

Edited by Buzbard

To appreciate what the supercharger did back in the 83, play "escape from the mindmaster"!

Let us know what the mindmaster declares you to be...

The fact that I can now play my Supercharger games without having to dig out the Supercharger and a tape player is a HUGE HUGE plus to me. I love to play the Starpath version of Frogger, I just never enjoyed digging out the Supercharger.

The other reason I like it is that I can now play all Tigervision carts on my 7800, as the Tigervision carts won't fit into the 7800 slot (without some surgery). For this reason, I've always kept a 2600 or a 5200 with a 2600 adapter laying around.

Well, with the Harmony you no longer NEED a Supercharger... But the Supercharger allows you to score major geek points when you set it up like I do:

-2600 connected to a Supercharger

-Supercharger connected to a laptop running wplaybin

-laptop networked via wifi to a server storing the ROMs

With this setup, the 2600 reminds me of the Voyager probe at the heart of V-ger (or a Rube Goldberg device).

Well, with the Harmony you no longer NEED a Supercharger... But the Supercharger allows you to score major geek points when you set it up like I do:

With this setup, the 2600 reminds me of the Voyager probe at the heart of V-ger (or a Rube Goldberg device).

I'll give you that lol! Still, I don't have the brains to set up something like that anyway so I will spend the $$$$ on other items to raise my Geek cred though I am sure my wife, family and friends will attest no more geek cred is required for me.

OK, to answer your original question. "I have a Hamony Cart so any point in still getting STARPATH SUPERCHARGER?"

Only if you want to experience the true effect of waiting for the bars to fill the screen, and hoping you got the volume set OK...

I would say, don't spend the bucks just to get one now, but if you stumble across one for cheap, obviously grab it. Plus it might be a cheap way to run other games on 2 machines.

However, one minute ago I checked the orders and as of this writing, they are all spoken for.

hmm - did I get my order in on time, or did I "missed it by that much?"

It arrived today and I wasn't channelling Max :D

Yep, anyone who ordered a Deluxe edition on or before Tuesday, March 9, got one. Any orders after that will not.

Also, the "flyer" included is not a flyer but the cover to the manual. The plan was to have one of the creators of the Starpath CD send me a 2.0 version of the manual in good shape, and I was planning to scan it and have been given permission to post it so others may print their own (it's plain paper inside) and assemble their own manuals.

However, I am still waiting for someone to send me a good manual. If that ever happens, I will follow through.

• 1 month later...

I found the Supercharger (or Cuttle Cart) a more convenient way to test games on the real hardware during development, since otherwise you have to sneaker-net the files via flash cards. Maybe one day there will be a JIT-loader for Harmony that will allow developers to transfer their works in progress to the cart's volatile RAM while connected to the PC.